Made a bad purchase, trying to make it work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Made a bad purchase, trying to make it work

decodancer

Reaction score
City, State
Armonk NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
OK, I did everything wrong but I really want to keep my Explorer. I had a perfect running mini-van but needed a vehicle that could pull my 3700 pound trailer. I'm going to be workamping (living in the camper while working at campgrounds) starting in June so a reliable vehicle is an absolute must. Guess I should add that I'm a 51 year old female, very handy with tools but not familiar with todays computerized vehicles. I purchased a 1997 6 cyl. 4 wheel drive explorer on E-bay for $3200. Only had 70,000 miles on it and a clean carfax report. One owner, A NYC goverment agency. I figured at least they kept up with the maintainence. Paid cash and took the car to my regular mechanic a week later because the 4 wheel light kept coming on. Turns out there was no driveshaft, broken spring clip and shock, and the running board was totally rusted out under the sparkling new paint job. He told me I could do better and to return the car. This explorer had been duel fuel and I had asked the seller remove the tanks for more room so he said he could not take it back. I consulted another mechanic who does work on the side and he quoted me $1000 to repair everything. The seller refunded that amount and everyone was happy. Long story short, that was only the tip of the iceburg. Compression problems, check engine light was dissengaged, driveshaft won't fit because of front end damage, and now the transmission is hesitating when shifting between 2nd and 3rd. The mechanic adjusted the bands and changed the fluid but it is only marginally better. I also hear a sound like someone banging on the hood after turning the car off sometimes. I've already spent well over the $1000 even with the (discounted?) labor of $70 an hour. The car runs great but now I don't know whether to put the money in for the tranny. Any advice would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like some serious issues, Turdle's idea aint so bad. You could try to sue if they didn't say that anything was wrong, but good luck.
I would guess that's not an original transmission/transfer case.
Sorry you got screwed, BAD

I have to admit, I've thought about selling it but how can I honestly advertise the vehicle and expect anyone to buy it? Can't even trade it in because I can't have car payments with the income in my new job. Thanks for your input. Kathleen

The trans sounds like the typical flare issue. Search the site to decide if your symptoms match. If so its a simple valve body solution. $500-$700 if someone else does the labor. With all of the other issues you described, Id probably just sell it and get another.

Sell it and get a v8 version. serious.

I second this.

Or file a complaint on Ebay about the seller. If they said there is nothing wrong, which there clearly is, you will for sure get your money back.

I second this.

Or file a complaint on Ebay about the seller. If they said there is nothing wrong, which there clearly is, you will for sure get your money back.

Disabling the check engine light is your ace in the hole. That was a huge violation of federal law.

I would turn him in if he will not refund your money.

The reason I suggested the v8 is you mention towing. The v6 drive train is weak at best, without the towing burden.

I believe, in the long run, a v8 explorer will be your most economical solution.

Your present truck might not have a monthly payment, but you have traded that for a monthly parts and labor bill, IMO

dump it while you can.

I agree, i would dump it. It sounds like a real lemon. Who knows, it may have over 70k too, it could be a new dash cluster. It wouldn't shock me with how everything else is.

Turdle, the v8 may be better for towing but it's not like the v6 can't. Mine has tows on a weekly basis and every once in awhile 4,000-5,000 lbs. I'd still suggest the v8 for obvious reasons, but if need be don't hesitate to get a v6. Just try to avoid the SOHC v6, you'll want the OHV. I don't consider the SOHC a truck engine, nor is it known to be reliable.

Honestly though, don't sell that pile to someone else and waste their money. Just get yours back from whoever sold it to you knowing it had these problems and failed to say so on ebay or before you paid. Hopefully they'll just take it to the junk yard

I agree about not selling someone else my bad purchase but not sure what my options are. I did send an e-mail to the seller after reading your posts but don't know if it will help. E-bay has a buyer protection program but it is past the one month expiration date. I don't think there are lemon laws for private sellers. I'm pretty sure this guy bought it at auction, painted it and sold it. I don't even know if he knew about the issues though I would expect he knew some of it. The truck will be used to tow my trailer but just from point A to B and stay for six months. I wanted a six cyl. for drives to shopping and such to save on gas costs.

Mechanic has an good running Expedition he will sell for $4000 has 105000 miles on it. Better bet for me?

Coming from a V6 SOHC owner, trust me the mileage isn't better. 1-2 mpg if that.

...and to be honest, some of the V8 guys are actually getting better mileage than me.

Mechanic has an good running Expedition he will sell for $4000 has 105000 miles on it. Better bet for me?

With the current situation, I would go for it. Does the Mechanic own it, or is he just selling it? If he owns it he most likely kept up on work, if not, you never know. For an Expedition those are pretty low miles, I see many of them with well over 200,000+ Miles, so they last a while. You should have no problem towing with it either. I can say though through experiences, such as trying to get one on a lift in a small shop, that the turning radius is horrible.

wow... you like gambles. Not sure how any one can recommend a buy based on almost no info.... including things like year. If you can't find someone in your "local circle" to lean on for advice on this purchase, maybe get some pictures of the vehicle (outside, inside, engine area) and perhaps post them here if you are really "up against the wall" for a "shoulder". I get the feeling you are going to end up with two vehicles that combined won't meet your needs / expectations.

I'm sorry, didn't ask the year. The mechanic mentioned it when I first got the Explorer. I have known him for years and he has done all the work on my cars and RVs. The Expedition was his (recently passed) fathers truck. He has been using it for the last few months. I'm going to see and drive it tomorrow. I guess I will put the Explorer back on E-bay and be totally honest about what it needs. I've already had most of the stuff fixed so maybe there is a mechanically inclined person out there who will be willing to fix the tranny.

issue a complaint with ebay and or paypal. you should probably get your money back... dont avoid this option EVEN IF the seller says no... eBay will step in.

Is there a 'lemon' law if your state? research that...

you got screwed.

that said, I bought a 97 limited for cheap knowing that it had a lot of needed maintence work to get caught up to. I've spent probably more on the vehicle maintenance that I did for the vehicle, but i know i was going to do this. I figured i alway do these repairs regardless of price of the vehicle, so this round i went on the cheap for the initial purchase.

Just curious, why sell it on ebay when craigslist is free?

I tend to think the expedition is a good choice. They are reliable, and being that it was the mechanics father's I'm sure he kept up on the work. It will also tow easier with more power and stability.

+1, the only real issues with the Expedition was the manifold, on 2001 and down vehicles. Other than guzzling a little more gas, pretty reliable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow... you like gambles. Not sure how any one can recommend a buy based on almost no info.... including things like year. If you can't find someone in your "local circle" to lean on for advice on this purchase, maybe get some pictures of the vehicle (outside, inside, engine area) and perhaps post them here if you are really "up against the wall" for a "shoulder". I get the feeling you are going to end up with two vehicles that combined won't meet your needs / expectations.

Rly? Your gonna jump down her throat bout the year....that shouldn't matter for what she's using it for. expeditions have no production driveline problems or tranny problems that I've heard of from ford. If they do its almost always the owners stupidity anyways the point is she gave enough information just read the posts dude

Back