• Register Today It's free!

Major torque converter failure

jeffsawd2000

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT AWD 5.0
If a torque converter were to suddenly self destruct as you were driving along, would that be sufficient to make the engine stall? I had the infamous clicking noise that seemed to be coming from the converter area, but I was not able to nail it down completely, Over the period of about 2 weeks, the noise got louder and louder (forward and reverse). The one night the engine seemed to start bucking violently, then some loud noises and stalled. Tried to start it again, but no luck. My first thought was the timing chain on the engine failed. I opened the timing cover only to discover no problems. I don't hear noises from the engine when cranking it by hand and the valve train seems to be in tact. Any suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks in advance guys. (btw, I have a 2000 XLT 5.0 AWD automatic. Both the engine and tranny were recently replaced with parts from a salvage yard.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you will be taking it apart either way. No doubt the issue will be obvious as you pull it apart. Could be the transfer case, trans, converter... doesn't sound like it is the engine. If you pull the transmission pan you will be able to narrow it down. If there was a transmission related failure there will be chunkies in there.

I'm going to hook the starter back up tonight and crank it over with a remote start trigger just to see if the converter makes any noises when I do. I was getting ready to pull the heads to see what was going on inside, so hopefully it's the converter and I won't have to do that. I'll light some candles on the way home tonight just in case.

If a torque converter were to suddenly self destruct as you were driving along, would that be sufficient to make the engine stall?

This converter "self-destructed"... The engine never stalled. Hell, the truck still kinda moved under its own power.

DSCF1842.jpg

DSCF1841.jpg

DSCF1839.jpg

Wholly crap that's awesome! Never seen one go to hell like that. Your's?

Problem Solved - I think

I went under the truck last night to attach the leads for the remote starter, and with no particular reason, I touched the torque converter and it moved freely. So I'm thinking "that ain't supposed to happen". Obviously the flex plate broke free of the crankshaft and I'm hoping that's the extent of the damage. I won't be able to pull the trans until next weekend, but will post pictures when I do. It won't compare to snoranger's tc pics - at least I hope it won't! Thanks for all the posts which pointed me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

I'm going to hook the starter back up tonight and crank it over with a remote start trigger just to see if the converter makes any noises when I do. I was getting ready to pull the heads to see what was going on inside, so hopefully it's the converter and I won't have to do that. I'll light some candles on the way home tonight just in case.

The first thing that comes to my mind is whether the flex plate and converter are correct for each other. If you just had the engine and trans replaced maybe they used the incorrect flex plate. There are variations of combinations IIRC. Either way, cheap fix. Good for you.

I still have the old motor and flex plate, so I'll compare the two and see what gives. I'll post pics when they can be taken (weekend of 3/2 - 3/3). Thanks for the tip. Never thought of that possibility.

Problem Solved

The center of the flex plate broke away, leaving a nice hole in the middle. Unbolted the remaining part from the crankshaft and put the replacement right in. Just have to put the tranny back up and I should be good to go.

I tried to post pics but had trouble do so. Will try again tomorrow if I can figure it out.

Thanks for the help everyone. :party:

Good stuff if the flex plate simply gave up. Still wonder if you had the right combo...

Can a torque converter be bench tested?

I can top that its of an Allison MD automatic at work that i was tearing down and the carrier had melted into the case looked like it had been towed with the driveshaft in while seized up had to junk the whole case impossible to get out.
2013-02-22_14-30-11_784_zpsdee4463f.jpg

2013-02-22_14-30-19_709_zps10303743.jpg

2013-02-22_14-30-28_617_zpse0d82250.jpg

Back