manual hub conversion with junkyard parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

manual hub conversion with junkyard parts

jkp89

Reaction score
City, State
lakeside arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer eddie bower
ok, i did a search and coldn't quit find what i wanted. my auto hubs have gone caboom so im looking into a manual hub conversin. someone told me i dont have to buy new parts and might be able to find them in like the junkyard. so my question is will any Xs in the junkyard maybe have manual hubs?and if i find one with manual hubs what parts, except the hubs do i need to get off of it? thx alot, and the best of wheeling to you.

josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get away using some junk yard parts, but why? The hub conversion kit goes for like $50. You can get those parts off a Dana 44 from a junk yard. It is 2 hub nuts per side and a slotted lockwasher on the spindles. However, for $5, you can get 1 side of the conversion kit from warn under another part number. Do a search on therangerstation.com. Unfortunately, you will probably never find the Dana 35 locking hub outers at a junk yard.

Want to hear another secret you will find surfing the ranger sites? The Dana 35 hubs that are used in the Jeep Dana 35 Rear Full Float conversion for Jeeps are twice as strong as the ones that are sold for Xploder Dana 35 fronts and bolt right on.

The Warn nut kit is part #28068X, you'll need two bags (one per side) These are still under 5 bux per bag at 4 Wheel Parts here in town. The $50.00 conversion kit has two of those bags in a cardboard box...........What a rip off!

hubnuts.jpg

The standard duty Warn manual hub set is #29071

The Warn hubs made for the rear of Jeeps that will work on your D35 is #37780, these are a lot stronger than the standard duty.

I would like to see a set of these rear jeep Warn's

Who has them? What makes them stronger?

D35 is #37780

Thanks for Chiming in Larry. We need to make a big thread about this over here. I don't think people over here know about it.

Jaime- My brother actually has 2 sets.He has one set on the rear of his XJ and one set for a spare. They look exactly like the standard hubs for the Dana 35, but they were further developed for more strength when Warn made the Full Float Conversion kit for the rear of the Jeeps. Here is a pic off Warn's Website:

FullFloat.jpg

Oh, here is the best pic of my bros XJ with the kit on it:XJ

So all I need to do is buy 2 of those bags and thats all I need for converting my auto hubs to manuals? besides the actual manual hubs themselves?

Yep. Buy the Jeep FF conversion hubs if you can afford it. They are a lot stronger.

...i just seen this post...are the parts they are talking about in the bags, the spindlenut and washers????....:scratch:

Yep. Spindle nut, washer, and lock nut. I think they are actually spicer parts, but I don't remember. Just go to Four Wheel Parts and tell them to look up the numbers listed above... The 44 and the 35 are the same nuts.

You will need two, under that part number you get only one.
Part # is #28068X

...i have been searching the jy's for those and can't find any...this thread popped up and i couldn't believe my eyes...:eek:....thanks ...:D

Any 44 in the yard will have the nuts you need if it has manuals I believe. Wagoneers, scouts, chevys, fords, etc. I am pretty sure. I found some rad washers off an old school ford 44 for my 35. They had tabs all the way around so I could grab onto them better.

...out here the spined washer is always lost or discarded and the spindle nuts are missing too...there are very few 4x first gens in the jy and they get stripped in a hurry...the 44's are taken and sold as a whole unit as the are a highly sought after item...thats why my chin dropped when i read the $5 bag of parts...thats like paying in change and i got a 4wheelparts i regular but with these part #'s, this just made my life a little easier...:D

So I order my set of warn manual locking hubs #29071 or for more of a heavy duty application I can order #37780 locking hubs.

And two bags of #28068X

and thats I definately all I need for the conversion?

Wow, thats alot less then I expected.

So I order my set of warn manual locking hubs #29071 or for more of a heavy duty application I can order #37780 locking hubs.

And two bags of #28068X

and thats I definately all I need for the conversion?

Wow, thats alot less then I expected.

Just an fyi.. Sometimes stronger HUBS are not a good thing.. HUBs are designed to be the weak link (think fuse) in the front 4x4 drive train.. You wouldn't want to put on HUBS that are stronger that the front axle shafts or more importantly front U-joints. Replacing a broken hub is a piece of cake, while having to remove the rotors, wheel bearings, spindle, to replace a broken axle shaft is a PITA (relatively speaking).

Thats actually a very very good point. So basically I think Ill stick with the regular warn part. But seriously, thats all I need?

Thats actually a very very good point. So basically I think Ill stick with the regular warn part. But seriously, thats all I need?

Yup.. you just need a set of manual hubs and the manual conversion nuts..

Swapping is easy.. and should take less than an hour for both sides.. See the Manual hub conversion for info and pics..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man! I love this forum.

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate your info. This info will save me in the future. A couple of years ago my 93' Ex would not shift into 4x with he button. You guessed it, it turned out to be the shift motor on the tranny. A little over $400 later it works fine. But I know in my heart it's going to go out again. This time I'll be converting to manual hubs. I don't mind getting out and dialing them in, done it for years. Thanks again.

Back