• Register Today It's free!

Manual Hub Problem!!!!!!!

Vanquish502

Reaction score
City, State
Kitchener, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
91EB, 91EB, 92XLT
Today I decided to put it in 4x4, so I switched the driver side hub, but instead of switching, the knob broke off. WTF? Theres still a screw with some plastic around it, and I'm sure I can super glue it, However, if I take that screw out, what will happen? It already feels like whatever that screws holding inside, will fall into the hub, just by the play it already has.

Also side question: how the hell do you lube/grease manual hubs? I've tried the grease thing, cant get it inside, and I'm currently running the ATF method, which is not working. They just screech and squeel and it sounds like I'm killing my hubs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the noise occur all the time or only when the hub's are locked? As for greasing the hubs they should just need a light film of greas on the inner splines (just don't pack it full of grease).

Happens when the hubs are locked, and the noise is much worse witg the hubs lock, and it 2WD. It sounds like metal screeching on metal. and it goes with the speed of the truck.

What brand HUB Are they? Warns have a lifetime warranty (for the broken handle part)... As for the noise I would suspect spindle bearings. These support the stub axle shaft as it passes through the spindle. Spindle bearings tend to be overlooked during front end maintenance. They are under $10 per side and only require a slide hammer to remove.

Do i need a receipt for the hubs in order to get warranty? I bought them from a junkyard...

Vanquish502 said:
Do i need a receipt for the hubs in order to get warranty? I bought them from a junkyard...

If they are Warn hubs, yes you need a reciept or find someone who has an old one and just make a copy. Any reciept will do.

Back