MFT Volume issue - whole unit was replaced | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Volume issue - whole unit was replaced

lobuzz311

Reaction score
City, State
Merced, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
Just thought I'd throw in my experience to go along with the other MFT / Sync issues going around.

I had my Ex for about 3 weeks, and the volume started doing strange things. It wouldn't respond to volume changes, even though it was showing the volume going up / down on the screen. At first, it would take a few minutes, then the changed volume would kick in. After a while, it wouldn't change at all. Finally, it just didn't have any sound from any music source (cd, sat, ipod, fm, etc.) The bizarre thing was that the sounds from the system (clicks, nav, sync) all worked fine.

I took it in to the dealership, and after various tests they got Ford's approval to simply replace the unit. They actually got it working that day, but replaced it anyway to ensure the problem wouldn't come back.

When I got it replaced, the service advisor said that the new unit that came in had a different part # than the first one. There must have been some pretty big issues that they would change the part.

This seems like a different issue than what's been posted, but it might be useful as an FYI.

I had the same thing on my 08 with the original sync (not volume, but the whole unit replaced).

They had my ex for like 6 days...it was too new for them to troubleshoot effectively.

I find it funny that traditional mechanics now have to be computer engineers to be able to troubleshoot and fix new vehicles. My father in law has been a mechanic for his entire life, has had his own shop for 30+ years. He tells me he has to turn away the fancier/newer cars with the complex electronics because he has no one to work on them. I told him to hire a young guy specifically for that.

A new part may have been something as simple as a new LCD screen or it could just indicate which version of MFT the unit has and nothing to do with the hardware.

A new part may have been something as simple as a new LCD screen or it could just indicate which version of MFT the unit has and nothing to do with the hardware.

Yeah, it could be something simple. The advisor seemed intrigued by it though, hence my piqued interest.

Back