• Register Today It's free!

Michelin Latitude Tires

Mark5767

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLT V8 4.6L
Realize there is a tire forum, but thought this might be helpful to the 06-10 crowd.

I was a little down on my 2006 V8 XLT in terms of overall performance, specifically acceleration and handling.

I knew it needed new tires, but I underestimated how bad the old ones were affecting the ride quality.

So after upgrading from worn out BFG Dueller Allenza (about 55k miles, but pretty beat) to Michelin Latitudes, the truck drives MUCH better.

It's quieter and the ride feels smoother and even a little "softer" somehow. And the tires are noticeably grippier. I live in Minnesota, so driving through the winter on worn out tires was pretty dumb, but we have had some snow recently and the Latitudes perform good there also.

Supposedly they have pretty good snow traction overall, not as much as a more dedicated snow tire of course, but good for an all season.

We were on the highway in a crazy heavy downpour last weekend for a good hour or more on a 6 hour road trip doing anywhere from 60 to 70mph and the truck felt quite safe with no signs of hydroplane. With my old tires I would have need to slow way down and even then it would have been sketchy.

Anyway, the moral of the story is don't overlook a good set of tires on your 4th gen vehicle, it may breath some new life into handling characteristics and increase your overall satisfaction with the truck. It sure has with mine!

Now, if I could just get it to have a little more torque and punch in the acceleration department I might just keep it another 5 years!

Mark :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

......Now, if I could just get it to have a little more torque and punch in the acceleration department I might just keep it another 5 years!.....

Mark, trade in in for a 4th gen V8. There is no lack of 'punch'! You'll just have to pay the gas bill. :eek:

As for tires, Michelins are always my first choice. They always ride better as well as lasting a while. They build their radial casings different than other manufacturers. They ride better, all the way down to bald.

Second to the Michelins tires. Got a set to replaced the Firestone for my old 1999 Exp during the Firestone recall. The truck had that tires last about 10 years, and 60K until it got totaled in a major snow storm (the truck stop fine in snow, it was the other driver who can't stop on time). Even after all those time, the ride still feel like new. Will be looking for the new Michelins tire when the Goodyear worn out on my current 2009 Exp.

Are you aware that Goodrich is owned by Michelin and the tires are apparently the same except for the price? Considerable savings on the set and I don't notice any difference from previously owned Michelins.

Short story I have 03 and 07. Went to discount tire got new set of tires for both trucks.
mountaineer has 18 inch, got the michelin laditude. Expensive wanted safety kids ride in that truck.

the explorer has 17 got the bfg long trail. reasonable priced great tire.

Hands down the bfg handles, rides, looks, cost, better than the michelins. Time will tell on how many miles i get off each set.

I think the biggest difference is probably just new tires period, not so much the brand.

I have had the BFG Long Trails in the past and I really liked them on my old 02 V6 XLT. (I swear that truck had much better acceleration than my current 06 V8 XLT!) Maybe the Dueler Allenzas were not my cup of tea for some reason.

Looking at the BFG Ecopia tire I was not impressed versus Michelin Latitude. The Latitude looked to have a better looking tread for snow and all around traction. Plus it supposedly quieter to boot.

My main point was tires can make a big difference in ride quality, I really didn't do much research into the brands or models. I was in a hurry due to a long road trip we needed to take so I just went with the tire I thought looked and sounded the best at Costco of all places!

I really don't care much for that place (too crowded!), but it's convenient sometimes so there you go!

Thanks for the responses, good to hear there are some nice tires out there!

Mark :salute:

I never thought about snow and thread pattern, my bad. because it dont snow in FL

Short story I have 03 and 07. Went to discount tire got new set of tires for both trucks.
mountaineer has 18 inch, got the michelin laditude. Expensive wanted safety kids ride in that truck.

the explorer has 17 got the bfg long trail. reasonable priced great tire.

Hands down the bfg handles, rides, looks, cost, better than the michelins. Time will tell on how many miles i get off each set.

I have the BFG long-trailer on our '06 Mounty 18". Very pleased. Great tire for a moderate price.

Back