Minor Damange Noticed on Delivery: Would You Accept This? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Minor Damange Noticed on Delivery: Would You Accept This?

I should be happy with Ford offering to fix the above damage, noticed when I took delivery, by:

• Replacing the steering wheel assembly

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Sending to a third-party repair shop for cosmetic touch-up

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I should accept delivery as-is

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RCWestcott

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
Callsign
VE6RCW
My wife and I disagree as to what remedy we should reasonably expect Ford to offer based on this small gouge out of the hard plastic cover above the right-hand set of buttons on the steering wheel of my brand new 2017 Explorer Platinum:

IMG_1934.jpg

The plastic piece cannot be replaced as the steering wheel can only be ordered as an entire assembly.

There are two new car managers playing "good cop / bad cop" with me. One offered to send it to a third-party plastic and leather repair shop for a cosmetic touch-up while the other thinks Ford can and should do the replacement option since it came from the factory with this damage - although the dealer didn't notice it during their PDI so there may be a battle over who pays since a new steering wheel runs over $1,200!

However small the damage, I think a new car, special ordered, and one I've been waiting on for 74 days, should come flawless. But I don't want to be unreasonable. . . What does the Forum think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I made them replace the dealership sticker on my ranger because it wasn't straight, even though I was planning on pulling it off the second I got home. They can fix it, you paid for it.

Just got off the phone with the dealership. Ford has offered to pay for the replacement. The parts should arrive and the repair made the week after Christmas.

I am skeptical that this piece isn't available separately. Maybe the parts department should make some phone calls?

But to answer the question, if you noticed this within a day or two or heck, even three of taking delivery and brought it to their attention then, Ford and the dealer can and should be able to replace it. If you noticed this 4+ days later, the dealer was generous to offer to send it to a refinisher.

My wife's jewelry cost a lot and unfortunately have scratched their fair share of interior plastics. I cringe when she taps along to music for this very reason.

. . . if you noticed this within a day or two or heck, even three of taking delivery and brought it to their attention then, Ford and the dealer can and should be able to replace it. If you noticed this 4+ days later, the dealer was generous to offer to send it to a refinisher. . .
I noticed this the morning I went to pick up the vehicle, about five seconds into the process where the salesguy wants to sit with you in the vehicle to point out how it all works and before I went it to sign the bill of sale. I opened the door (for the first time), sat in the driver's seat, and BANG, it's the first thing I saw.

Easy.. $1200 discount and move on. Car will not be showroom condition a year from now unless your putting it in a time capsule.

Then go buy a sharpie :D

Back