Misfire and rough startup and idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Misfire and rough startup and idle

The_smithsonion

Reaction score
City, State
Waco
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer 4x4 4.0 ohv
96 explorer 4x4 4.0 ohv
So the problem started after i replaced the upper intake manifold gasket, it was causing a vacuum leak.
When starting , it sounds like itlle crank for a second then catch on somthing and recrank , if it decides to start itll run really rough and want to die but then level out after a minute if it stays running , and run great after that with the misfire in cylinder 4 witch i think has low or no compression , seems to run better after 1500 rpm aswell. Any insite would help no codes just low voltage light

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi
First thing is to double-then tripple check the firing order ( spark plug wire order) on the driver side of the engine. It is so easy tio get those mixed up when you think they are correct, just about everyone here has done it a time or two.

explorerup-jpg.jpg

Hi
First thing is to double-then tripple check the firing order ( spark plug wire order) on the driver side of the engine. It is so easy tio get those mixed up when you think they are correct, just about everyone here has done it a time or two.

explorerup-jpg.jpg
You got the wrong engine friend , its on the passenger side and ive already checked they are correct, if they werent the engine would never smooth out and run like new but it does about a minutebor 2 after it starts if it starts

You got the wrong engine friend , its on the passenger side and ive already checked they are correct, if they werent the engine would never smooth out and run like new but it does about a minutebor 2 after it starts if it starts

Same firing order on all v6 explorers! So, my friend, take the coil in image and place it to the passenger side of engine with 1-3 to the left, and now it is correct. I kinda thought you'd be able to figure that out, sorry.

I meant to check the firing order on the driver side, cylinders 4, 5 and 6. These are often mixed up.

When you come here asking for tips, it is very important to double check all suggestions instead of assuming. You would be surprised how many times this exact discussion has happened.
If they check out no harm no foul, we'll go on from there.

Is this better? Worth triple checking. We've all crossed plug wires. A compression test will tell you a lot about what's going on.

12900_fo_74.jpg

Back