• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector

carl grayson

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
My dealer initially told me they would cover the labor charge if I purchased the part. They said the missing part was Ford's fault not there's (which is true), and if I didn't want to pay for the part, I'd have to get Ford's authorization to cover the cost of the part. I called Ford Customer Service (FCS) in mid-January. They told me they would look into the matter, gave me a case number and told me they would get back with me. Five days later I hadn't heard from FCS so I called back for an update. I was told that my case had not been escalated properly. It should have been escalated to Ford corporate, and that would now be done. One day later I got a call from the Ford Regional Customer Care Center. They informed me that Ford had contacted my dealer and authorized payment for the part and it's installation. They also said they would expedite shipment of the part to my dealer since it was on back-order nationally. The part arrived at the dealership in mid-February, and as I said, it was installed today.

One last thing, if your dealer wants to pull the "it's not part of your vehicle's build order" angle, the air deflector wasn't part of my build order yet Ford corporate approved it. I really have never understood this angle anyway. Why would Ford include in a build order a part they deem to be non-essential and know to be in short supply or not available? I'm guessing that the air deflector fits this scenario ergo as limited supplies become available some vehicles get it and some don't. That's simply my guess FWIW. Only Ford knows for sure. Good luck!
Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Forddealz

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
My dealership told me that the ST diagrams did not show that it was suppose to be even on there. I will print this topic and bring it to them and show them.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
My dealership told me that the ST diagrams did not show that it was suppose to be even on there. I will print this topic and bring it to them and show them.
That seems to fall in line with what others have said.

Peter

Ronxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
That seems to fall in line with what others have said.

Peter
My dealership said that it was supposed to be there and installed it. That also goes along with what others have said.

ClarkG

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
My dealership said that it was supposed to be there and installed it. That also goes along with what others have said.
ditto. Just waiting on the back order to fulfill. The Ford parts website also clearly says “ST version” for applicable vehicles.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I guess they're looking at different diagrams etc.:rolleyes:

Peter

Ronxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I guess they're looking at different diagrams etc.:rolleyes:

Peter
I think it might be a matter of bad dealerships not wanting to take the time to order and install the parts. There are too many of us having no problems from our dealerships for this to be a part that should not be on the ST.

ClarkG

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Stopped by the dealer in my town today. 5 Explorers. 4 XLTs and 1 ST.

1 XLT missing deflector
3 XLT with deflector
1 ST missing deflector

It was interesting to see the 2 XLTs side by side. It would be interesting to question the dealer about it if you were purchasing one.

Attachments

geezerglide

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Stopped by the dealer in my town today. 5 Explorers. 4 XLTs and 1 ST.

1 XLT missing deflector
3 XLT with deflector
1 ST missing deflector

It was interesting to see the 2 XLTs side by side. It would be interesting to question the dealer about it if you were purchasing one.

My dealer Cam Clark Ford in Airdrie, Alberta has all of the missing pieces, front shock tower deflector, rear deflectors fuel funnel and tow hook eye on order and when they receive will be installing n/c.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClarkG

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
My parts (including tow hook) are in. Taking for installation tomorrow afternoon. Service guy said they had already done 4 other Explorers.

northvibe

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Ordered the rear defector and parts. Mine was missing....

hbalek

Reaction score
City, State
Kensington, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Ordered the rear defector and parts. Mine was missing....
The more I think about this and as loyal as I am to Ford, this is some unprofessional, ghetto, third world crap to knowingly sell a brand new vehicle at any price missing so many parts. Do we get away with missing payments??? I take that back. I don't think this would fly in the third world! They would overreact and throw people in jail.

ClarkG

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
All done. As expected the service advisor just shrugged his shoulders and didn’t know much. He also wasn’t very surprised and said they are seeing it a lot.

Other assembly issues have also been seen by them, such as a white Explorer with 3 white door handles and 1 red.

Attachments

Spacey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
The more I think about this and as loyal as I am to Ford, this is some unprofessional, ghetto, third world crap to knowingly sell a brand new vehicle at any price missing so many parts. Do we get away with missing payments??? I take that back. I don't think this would fly in the third world! They would overreact and throw people in jail.
I agree with this statement. Obviously the parts aren't critical, and I could understand a parts shortage resulting in vehicles being delivered without them; but it is completely unacceptable for Ford to not note that on delivery and schedule installation at a later date. The customer shouldn't have to figure out what parts aren't on their new car.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
All done. As expected the service advisor just shrugged his shoulders and didn’t know much. He also wasn’t very surprised and said they are seeing it a lot.

Other assembly issues have also been seen by them, such as a white Explorer with 3 white door handles and 1 red.
I think that if it was all door handles that were red, it may even look good.😊

Peter

beST_1

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thank You
So my ST is missing the tow hook, the strut tower insulator, and the rear air deflector. I ordered the strut tower insulator and some other stuff from Levittown, and I am reaching out to my selling dealer today about the tow hook and rear air deflector.
I had my ST shipped from an out of state dealer, and they forgot to give me the original carpeted floor mats, as well as the owner's manual...

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

beST_1

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Thanks, but I also want them to send the hard copy as it was supposed to come with it.
Are the mats ST-specific, or are they the same in every Explorer model?
According to this post, they are just the regular mat with EXPLORER on them. Floor, cargo mats / liners

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

beST_1

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
According to this post, they are just the regular mat with EXPLORER on them. Floor, cargo mats / liners

Peter
Thanks again. Also have a defect on the headliner near the pano roof (looks like it will separate/tear), and there was an inch long scratch at the edge of the fender near the headlight.
Got a fairly good deal, but these are the hazards of buying a car sight unseen, I guess...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Missing Part? Hood insulation pad Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 64
C Missing Part? - Strut Tower Insulator Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 83
peterk9 Missing Part - Fuel Filler Funnel - Aviators Only? Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 13
W Missing Part - towing eye Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 88
R Part Numbers? Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 0
1 2020 ST rear cargo light Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 4
iTonyp Rear Defroster Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 2
C Rear Seat Entertainment Audio/Video Delay Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 0
L For Fun; What is in your Rear Storage Area??? Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 8
L Installation of Rear/Lower Air Deflector Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 134
R Noise From Rear Door Panels ST (cracking/popping) Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 7
V Rear view mirror Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 19
J Dual-headrest rear seat DVD entertainment system - after-market options? Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 3
S Strange rear hatch - alarm issue Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 1
M Rear Brake Assist Feature Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 1
S Rear Captain Chairs Stock 2020 - 2021 Ford Explorer & Lincoln Aviator 10