Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Moab 2002?

When is the trip. Please say you are doing it the week after Memoral day. I graduate friday may 24 and think this would be the perfect graduation present to myself. Head to moab for a week of wheeling :D I know a bunch of other schools get out around this time as well so we could get a larger group together.

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Matt,
I was talking to Gerald about this and I think the week after Memorial day would be a good time too. I knew it wouldn't be too long before someone posted a thread about this, and really, this would be a good time to start thinking about this, if you want to get a motel reservation, it wil have to be soon.

Well Rick what do you think about the week after Memorial day. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

My 2cents..

Just schedule a Moab run that week.

Official or not, I think it would be a good week time too.

Might as well get my name on here so I can get emails about it.

Doesn't matter to me just tell me the date and we are there. Last year I think it was the weekend before because they said it would get to hot, but I thought the weather was fine. I don't see what two more weeks would hurt.

Biggest thing is to figure a date so we can make motel reservations.

Let the playing begin!!!!!!
:bounce: :D :confused: :bounce:

I thought the "official run" was going to be in October or November this year to beat the heat and hopefully catch some colors.

Average temp for June is 92degs. When Jack and I were there in June of '99 it was 103. The average temp jumps quick from 82degs in May and as you all know we haven't been lucky enough to see 82 it's usually in the 90s in May.

Octobers average is 74 and Novembers is 57.

If we did that then what would you do about the Colorado run????

I know there is NO WAY you could do a run in Colorado in May or June.

That would put two runs within a month or so which I don't think most people could afford.

Just my .02

I hope Gerald jumps in this thread soon :D He is the one that suggested the fall Moab run.

I'm up for a smaller Moab run just about anytime if someone wants to go just let me know.

Moab? MOAB!!! I'm there, no matter when :bounce: :bounce:

Oh, and Perry, as long as the run is after March, you'll be looking at me in your rear view mirror on the big dawg runs :D Goin' up 5.5" and getting the 4.56's :bounce:

Well, I am gonna get my name on the e-mail list. Let me know when it is and I am there!

Actually Rick, I would prefer the weekend after Memorial Day also. The fall run would be great but like Perry said it is too close to the CCR run, and I don't think we would have nearly the participation in November that we would in May/June. I would think that we could have a minor run in Nov to try to catch the colors and enjoy the weather but the major run will almost certainly get more participation around Memorial Day. Plus I don't think I can wait until next November :D

Last year we had a long discussion and a lot of us were afraid to schedule it later because the weather could get too hot, so we made it the week before Memorial Day. However, doing so prevented a lot of college students from attending that I think really wanted to come and would have, given the opportunity. I've talked this year with Rockranger and others and I think we ought to give everyone including college students a chance at it.

Yep it's two weeks later and it may be hot, Rick. But I think we have to go for the weekend after Memorial Day. I'll be glad to get it organized again; I did a lot of research while in Moab last month to scout out some new stuff. Enough of us have been now and we've learned the trails that we won't have to be so worried about finding trailleaders and other things that previously were more of a concern.

I talked with the mgr at the Silver Sage and he told me to let him know by January when we plan on coming so we can make sure we get rooms. I can call him and reserve a block of ten rooms or so for the weekend after Memorial Day and that will get some of us started with specific plans to get Moab 2002 running.

What do you guys think? I'd like to hear more input from others.

That sounds like an excellent plan to me. I'll probably be going by myself as well, so we could share rooms and such... I don't think there would be any trouble doing a run in May and a smaller run in November, for whoever can make 'em. Needed equipment for Moab 2002 run - Working A/C :D

I dont know what you are all winning about being to hot. Im sure all your grocery getters have A/C in them. I know my 2.9 just cant turn the compresor and the tires in the rocs so I will be the one baking all week :D Also what is available camping wise Ill sleep in a campground in a tent if they have a shower that is available. Dont KOA have something like this? I cant wait to get out there. That will be dream trip # 2 done (first was rubicon) Maybe after if money and time available hit a few colorado trails as well.

Matt

Gerald,
Let's do it for the weekend after memorial Day.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Unfortunately I will not know my schedule that far in advance. All I can do is save my money and hope the ship will let me take the vacation time to attend.

Motel

Gerald, make sure and let me know when you are reserving the rooms because we DO WANT A ROOM.

As for it being hot you have to remember all of us from Colorado are just getting out of the cold so that might thaw us out.

That date works for us, just say the date and we can start getting the time off work.

The Canyonlands campground is real nice. It's in the center of town yet has loads of trees, and Internet access for us addicts :D

I don't run my A/C on the trail. Even when it's hot I like to keep the windows down. Keeping the windows up on the trail is just too isolating, it just doesn't seem right;)

I think it's fairly obvious we are leaning toward doing it the weekend after Memorial Day at this point, but what do you say let's give this thread all weekend for those who haven't seen it yet to give some input and then we'll make it official on Monday. I need to go check the Moab event schedule site and make sure what's already happening in Moab that weekend, etc.

For initial consideration before we start an official Moab event/itinerary thread, I'll offer some of my wishes and see how it stacks up with some of yours.

1)I'd like to see if a few would like to arrive a day or two early (or stay late) and go camp out at the Devil's Kitchen campground on the Elephant Hill trail which is an hour and a half south of the main town. The cost is $30 split between us but it fills quickly and I will have to get resv very soon to have a chance at getting a spot.

2) I am willing to trailboss for a Metal Masher run which should make a good modified/bigdawg event with plenty of photo/video fun at Widowmaker (and Rock Chucker if anyone wants to attempt it). Mother In Law Hill also will provide plenty of entertainment. I believe I am the only one of us that has run it yet so it would be a good new trail for the group to try.

3) I still have not run Golden Spike. I know many of you have already, but I would like to find a few that would like to run it again one of the days with me (Saturday?).

4) I believe I have run over twenty trails now in Moab, so my "trail wishlist" checklist is getting shorter, but there are still some left. Besides Golden Spike, I still haven't run Seven Mile Rim or Flat Iron Mesa. I'd be interested in trying one or both of those if anyone else is interested in them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:chicken:

Rick, we need a new smilie, LOL.

Back