• Register Today It's free!

Modding a '97 XLT AWD?

AlexJones90

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT AWD
Hey fellas, I've been driving my Explorer for almost a year now and was looking to get rid of it for something smaller until recently. A few of my friends also have trucks and I was thinking how much fun it would be to go mudding with them.

My explorer is a '97 XLT with All Wheel Drive and the 5.0L V8. I'm wondering if it's capable enough for doing light offroading, and if it can handle a suspension lift and some bigger tires. Ideally, I would like to give it a 3-4 inch lift, but I'm really clueless on...everything. If you guys could recommend a good lift kit and what size tires would be best. I'd be interested in getting an exhaust system too, nothing major though, probably just catback.

Sorry that kind of turned into rambling, but I'm actually pretty excited about having this explorer for once ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So are there any suspension lifts other than the Super Lift? I really don't want to pay $1800 just for a lift.

I found this kit on ebay, but on the Rough Country (the manufacturer) website it says the kit is only for 90-94 explorers. I would have no problem spending $800 on a kit, but anything over $1000 is kinda pushing it.

Would I be able to run 32" tires with the 3" body lift? I found this body lift, would that work?

Also, can my the car handle the 32"?

Thanks for all of your input guys, I really appreciate it :thumbsup:

You can get a Performance Accessories part #PA 853 from Summit Racing for about $150 but you will need to make your own bumper brackets.

I would ask JC Whitney if the bumper brackets are correct for an Explorer.

I emailed JC Whitney, still waiting for a reply.

For the Performance Accessories body lift, how difficult is it to make the bumper brackets? Is there a DIY thread on that somewhere around here?

Alex, I have a 3'' body lift and a cheap ($75) 2'' suspension lift. I'm sittin on 33'' muds, click the link in my signature to see my truck.

Also, there is this thread:

Dead Link Removed

....which will tell you the max tire sizes you can fit with a certain amount of lift.

Instead of running the full out suspension lift, it you want to stay cheap you can go with warrior shackles/TT lift/ProComp AAL and PA Bl....I have that on my truck and my BL is only 2" not 3...even with the 2" body lift and all the other stuff I have 33x12.5x15 they rub a little bit now that I trimmed a bit but 32's would be good

These are semi-average prices for parts listed above
Warrior shackles - 65.00
Tortion twist - Free
ProComp AAL - 40.00
PA body lift 2" or 3" - 120.00 or 150.00

Total - 265.00 aprox price for around 4" or lift

and with 33's it looks like...
Picture%20024.jpg

Thanks for the input!

Paraphoe, what did you do for the suspension lift? How was it so cheap? (AWESOME explorer by the way, that's what I'm hoping for mine to look like eventually)

your truck is more than capable stock, you'd be quite surprised! can it handle 33's? absolutely. you may want to check your gears though, look at the sticker in the door jamb of your drivers door and look for the word axle, below it is a letter/number combo or a number, match that to this chart to figure out your gear ratio. i think 4.10's are fine for 33's. if you have a D2 axle code im jelous.

Back