Modifying Ford Explorer Leaf Springs for Lift using F-150 Leaf Springs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modifying Ford Explorer Leaf Springs for Lift using F-150 Leaf Springs

Bronco638 said:
I noticed, recently, that my leaves are starting to 'fan' (become un-aligned) a little. I purchased leaf spring clips from Eaton Detroit Spring.

Dave, if you wheel, those spring clips will limit your flex since they keep the pack locked together. I fixed the fanning problem by welding a square U-bolt to the bottom overload bar pointing up to keep the other leafs within its "channel". This way they don't fan out and they are also still disconnected from each other so that during droop the pack can flex apart further. Many of us including Rick have our leafpacks set up this way.

Attachments

• MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 6,501

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

palocop (Reed) - I haven't noticed any squeaks or rattles as I've driven but I will keep an ear tuned for it though. I did keep the pads from the Explorer springs but don't relish the thought of disassembling the leaf packs again.

Gerald, thanks for the picture of your set up. I haven't installed the clips yet and am keeping an eye on the fanning. Reed, in an email, told me his started to fan a little as well but only to the point that the leaves returned to their original positions as they were on the F150. So, if the fanning on my leaves doesn't get any worse, I'll leave them alone and un-cliped.

Thanks, Dave.

Bronco,

Great write-up. I'm going give this a shot as my stock Navajo springs have sagged and the 4dr springs (code F) I replaced them with have large gaps between the leafs.

GJarrett,

Great idea on the u-bolt! My driver side helper spring fans to the point of snagging on my fuel tank skid plate.

CHH777,
Thanks, it was a lot of work but a lot of fun, too. I hope my write-up was clear on the entire process but feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions. Another Forum member (palocop) just did the swap, too. I'm sure both of us would be able to help you out should you run into any difficulty. Your fanning problem sounds a little scary! Are you sure your u-bolts are torqued to specification? I got the impression from Mike Eaton (Eaton Detroit Spring) that if everything is torqued to spec, fanning should not occur.
Good Luck and Be Safe - Dave.

My U-bolts are over torqued (bending) and they still fan out quickly on the trail. I have stepped up the torque on them in increments to see if it would help; no luck. The rear flexes like mad though.

I currently have a 4dr 4 leaf setup. I'm going back to the old top spring with F-150 leafs underneath. However, my local auto salvage claims the leafs were the same from 80-96 according to his data. We shall see...

With respect to leaves being the same from 80-96, that's possible. I did not look into it that far. The only thing I found that remains a 'semi' mystery is the reason that some F150s from that time frame have four leaf packs and some have five. As I mentioned in the original post, I'm guessing it has to do with a factory trailer towing package but I have no way to confirm that. Again, best of luck with the swap and let me know how it goes.
Dave.

Well, I just got back from the bone yard with a set of ‘92 F-150 leafs ($20 per side + tax). They have 4 leafs + overloads. When you said you got 5 leafs I assume that does not include the overload, correct? This has me a little concerned about getting enough lift but I guess we'll see what happens.

Also, contrary to what I've read the F-150 leafs are shorter in length (~3 3/8â€￾) than my stock Navajo leaf packs (see attachment: Difference.jpg). I could install the full F-150 packs but I'm sure this would cause me to lose lift. The F-150 packs are taller than my stockers and the 4dr leafs I've been using (see attachments: Heights.jpg & Arches.jpg) as expected.

So, should I just swap in my stock upper leaf into the F-150 packs as you have done? Where can I get 9/16" replacement U bolts?

Attachments

• Difference.jpg
    Difference.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 5,866
  • Heigts.jpg
    Heigts.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 13,114
  • Arches.jpg
    Arches.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 6,171

looks like a direct bolt on. try it.

CHH - The leaves that were removed from the '86 F150 had a 5 leaf pack which included the overload. However, I did not remove the main leaf as it's longer and will not fit an Ex (interference with the shackle and bumper). The other F150 in the yard ('84) had only a four leaf pack (incl. overload). This is where things get fuzzy as to why there would be two different leaf packs on F150s two years apart (identical body styles). As I mentioned previously, I'm guessing the '86 had a factory tow package which would explain the need for extra support at the rear suspension (the truck did have a hitch on it but it didn't look OE).

As for length, I think you're being thrown off by the arch of the F150 pack. Simply flipping them upside down and measuring along the floor will not give you the measurement you really want to know. You need the 'flat length' which would be the measurement if the leaf were flat against the floor. Flip the pack over (as it would be if installed on the truck) and use a piece of string or twine and lay it from eye to eye on top of the main leaf. Now measure the length of that piece of string or twine. I think you'll find it to be longer than you think. What you're really after here is more support for the Ex main leaf which the F150 #2 leaf provides since it's longer than the #2 Ex leaf. Also, due to the load capacity of the F150 (versus the Ex) the free arch is greater (than Ex leaves) thus providing more lift.

I would do the swap as I outlined but no one is keeping you from experimenting, if you're so inclined. U-bolts should be available from any good auto parts store. If necessary, you can buy them directly from Eaton Detroit Spring (I can give you an email address if you want it). Their replacement is recommended and I plan to do this when I install my rock sliders. You might want to step up to 1/2" u-bolts, they should fit and will provide some extra margin of safety.

$20 (+ tax) per side? Good price! Man, there's something to be said for Southern weather. I can see (by the pictures) that the teflon sliders in the F150 pack are still in great shape. I removed the sliders from my leaves (they were shot) but I'd leave those alone. Also, if the top picture is Ex on the left and F150 on the right, it looks like the eye bolts aren't the same size which means the F150 eye bolt might not go thru the Ex eye bracket and shackle.

Let me know if you have more questions - Dave.

Excellent write up!

Thanks!!

This has been an interesting thread. I corrected my sag with a pair of shackles because my sag wasn't too bad. But this looks like a better idea. I'm suspecting the flex is less than stock? I've got a pair of ranger leafs that I was going to swap in for the Zimmerman mod...now I'm confused about which way to go. :rolleyes:
Gjarrett, I know you've done a lot of wheeling but don't those AAL's hang up on EVERYTHING? When I did the Fordyce trail with a friend with a Xterra, the same set up was such a problem (stock AAL's) that we took the time to take them out and flip them over (they had a little downward arch) to reduce the problem.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 5,666

Rick - thanks for the compliment and taking the time to read thru this long (and getting longer) thread.

zensius - I never took my Ex off road in it's stock form (with Ex leaves) and have not yet done any off-roading with the F150 leaves. But, one can only assume that there will be less flex. How much less is going to be hard to quantify. But, I don't think it will be that much less. Keep in mind here that I'm not planning to build a truck like GJarrett's or Jefe's (let alone something like Rick's). GJarrett has classified trucks for this year's Moab run. My truck will not be ready for this year's trip but I do plan to go next year and be classified as a 'super stock'.

Another benefit of this type of lift (as opposed to the shackles) is the stability that is added to the suspension. One of the issues with the Explorer/Firestone flap is the fact that the high center of gravity of the truck allows the body to roll quite a bit before the suspension 'catches' it. By adding lift, the suspension 'catches' the roll much sooner and the truck is now much more stable even though it's higher off the ground.

The point I'm trying to make is that this mod may not work for you based on what you plan to do with your Ex. You might be better served by getting a leaf pack with lift built in (OME, Dever or Eaton Detroit) or doing an SOA. I'm going to be very happy with 1.75" of lift, 4.10 gears, lockers and 31" tires.

If you have more questions, let me know - Dave.

Bronco638 said:
Are you sure your u-bolts are torqued to specification? I got the impression from Mike Eaton (Eaton Detroit Spring) that if everything is torqued to spec, fanning should not occur.
Good Luck and Be Safe - Dave.

Dave, mine are way overtorqued and my left side still fans into the gas tank skidplate..... even with my U-bolt setup, the whole pack shifts together. The right side doesn't, and I know other people experience the same thing.... I don't have an explanation for why the left has a fanning problem and the right doesn't, but it does, no matter the torque. I'm at 100 ft/lbs+ torque on those bolts and it still fans.

zensius said:
Gjarrett, I know you've done a lot of wheeling but don't those AAL's hang up on EVERYTHING? When I did the Fordyce trail with a friend with a Xterra, the same set up was such a problem (stock AAL's) that we took the time to take them out and flip them over (they had a little downward arch) to reduce the problem.

I'm confused. The AAL is one of the leafs within the pack and can't hang up on anything. My current setup uses the F150 leafs that I helped inform Bronco638 about and that he just did this very excellent writeup on, with a little shorty AAL spring inserted within the pack that I could probably do without. If I removed the AAL and replaced it with the rest of the F150 pack like Bronco638 did in this writeup, I'd probably get more lift (I didn't use one of the F150 lesser leaves and used the AAL instead).

If you mean the leaf/shock mounts, I don't drag them at all.... I have one of the rare Mark Train custom shock mount plates that Ray Lobato advertised on this board a couple of years ago and never hang up on my leaf/shock mount. They are armor skids every bit as heavy-duty as Warrior shackles are.

I think Warrior makes a similar product now, but not nearly as heavy-duty as the Train4x4 plates were made. Not many wanted them when they were offered for sale, so I believe he never tooled up a second manufacturing run after our first orders were filled. But Warrior does have a similar product if you are interested in that.

I was referring to the flat leaf you welded the u bolt to. (The most bottom one)

GJ - Interesting about your fanning issue. I've been keeping an eye on mine (as I put more and more miles on them) and noticed that they fanned slightly and then stopped. I'm wondering if they 're-aligned' themselves as they were when they were under the old F150. I know you mentioned that the spring clips limit flex but have you ever considered just clipping the main leaf and #2 leaf? Maybe that would stop the whole pack from shifting together and not be such a limiting factor, with respect to flex, off road. Just a thought.
D.

Oh, I've never had a problem hanging that up. Of course, four locked 35" tires work fairly well at pulling any minor hangup on through the spot :)

And I've thought about clamping the two leafs together, but I just keep a BFH to whack 'em back in place when I need to instead.

Well, I got lazy and just stuck the entire F-150 leaf packs (5 leafs) on the axle. Guess what? Perfect fit, perfect height, no flex interference.

My first thought was "too good to be true" but I did net around 7" lift in the front after the SAS. I don't know exactly how much lift you achieved. I'll repost in a couple weeks to let everyone know how they work and feel...

Glad to hear everything worked out. And, now we know that this mod will work on first and second generation Explorers. Please continue to post your thoughts and any problems/issues that arise (especially if you encounter any 'fanning' of the individual leaves). You're the second person, that I know of, that has done this conversion and been happy with the results.

Congrats, Dave.

Interested in lifting my explorer

Hey Dave,
I just skimmed over your posting of how you lifted your explorer. I am interested in doing a two inch lift on my 95 explorer 4dr XLT. I am already aware that I can gain 2 inches in the front with a TT, but your also saying that if I find a 1980 -86 F150 rear leafs that I can obtain the two inches that I want in the back, without add a leafs and shackles, both of which I know will compromise ride quality. Do you recommend replacing my shocks as well, or will mine be ok.

Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Greg,
Welcome to the site. I think you'll find you'll be able to research almost any issue in this Forum. That said, on to your question(s).

The amount of lift you gain is indirectly proportional to the amount of use the donor F150's leaf springs received. That is, an F150 with low miles has a better chance of it's leaves retaining their free arch than a truck that was used to haul heavy loads in the bed and/or tow. So, if you find a truck with minor wear in the bed, no evidence of a hitch (or ball on the bumper) and somewhere between 70 and 100K miles on the odometer, then the leaves should be good candidates to swap into your Explorer. If I remember correctly, the F150 I used had 86K miles AND a hitch and I still gained 1.75" of lift. So, don't be afraid to "shop around" but at the same time, don't be too picky.

With respect to shocks, my truck had 77K miles when I swapped the leaf springs and I figured it was time for new shocks anyway. I was also under the (false) impression that the stock ones would not handle the additional travel due to the lift. So, if your shocks were replaced recently, you may not need to replace them. If it's a budget issue, you could wait until you have the funds. If your situation is similar to mine, then you might as well replace them, they have to be removed anyway.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Otherwise, good luck!

Dave.

Back