Modifying Ford Explorer Leaf Springs for Lift using F-150 Leaf Springs | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modifying Ford Explorer Leaf Springs for Lift using F-150 Leaf Springs

Lloyd,

Gabe confirmed that the leaves are 3" wide. I don't think I would be comfortable using them with the 2.5" wide Explorer main leaf. There's a possibilty that you'd need to use the wider Bronco spring plate, too. And, I have no idea what problems may occur with that. I'll be sure to fire off a note to Mike Eaton. I have yet to hear from him.

Dave.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bronco638 said:
Lloyd,
As far as I know, the Bronco was built using F150 parts. I'd be surprised if the leaf packs were different than the F150 (I had an '89 F150). There's a pretty simple way to figure this out. 1) have the owner of the Bronco leaves measure the width. They should be 2.5". Perhaps he could measure the length of the individual leaves as well. 2) Call a Ford dealer and ask if the leaf pack part number for a '89 Bronco is the same as an '89 F150. If the part numbers are different, refer to #1.

How does the owner of the Bronco leaves know they're rated for 1650#? If he still has the truck, ask for the GVWR and GAWR which are on the sticker in the door jamb. Then compare those numbers with the GVWR and GAWR numbers from the F150 in my original post. If they are close and the leaves measure 2.5", go for it!

Forum member Buchvilleman is using an '89 Bronco as an engine donor. I'll send him a PM and ask him to measure the leaves on his donor Bronco.

Dave.

Dave, the part number is NOT the same as that for an F150. Measurements show that the springs definitely are 3 inches, and since my Ex has a measured distance of 3.2 inches between the holes in the shock plate I thought that they might fit there. I am now waiting for length measurements of the #2 spring, etc. as you suggested. The owner got the rating from the vehicle sticker which has a rear GAWR fo 3300#.

Good thread... Lots of usable info here.

I'll just share a couple things that I've done to mine as well (92 - but the rears are similar).

First, I ditched the factory overload plate as I felt that it limited upwards flex. I replaced it with a cheapy full-length overload spring from AutoZone. It works out well (sort of like an AAL but much flexier). I just sandwiched it between the spring and the lower spring plate.

Second, I modified the lower mounting plates (that ride under the spring pack) by adding some 1/4" diamond plate steel as a "slider" that protects the heads of the U-bolts. I simply cut out the plates to the desired size, welded them directly to the lower plates and then ran a hole saw in the places where I had to get access to the spring bolts. I heated the ends of the plates up with my torch and bent them into a slider position, with curved edges. They have withstood a lot of abuse and I don't have any issues with messing up my U-bolts.

I'm going to get a set of F150 springs (I still have a cheap pic-a-part right around the corner from my house!) and I am also likely going to modify the shackles somewhat - if for no other reason to make them sturdier.

When I do that, I'll also replace my U-bolts with new ones that are 1/2" instead of the smaller factory 7/16". Much stronger. I get mine from the local spring shop here in Louisville for about $6.00 a piece and they custom make them to whatever specs you ask for. Every city has a spring shop somewhere (typically near the major truck terminals) and they can make almost anything spring related for you.

Couple of pics (and for some of you that havn't seen my truck since Moab last spring, it has "grown" a tad... :D )

15014Rear_Srpings_1.jpg

15014Rear_Srpings_2.jpg

15014Rear_Srpings_3.jpg

15014Rear_Srpings_4.jpg

Lloyd10977 said:
Dave, the part number is NOT the same as that for an F150.
I suspected as much. Buchvilleman (Gabe) let me know that the Bronco leaves are definately 3" wide, as you mention.

Lloyd10977 said:
The owner got the rating from the vehicle sticker which has a rear GAWR fo 3300#.
This weight rating would put those leaves between the leaves I used ('86 F150, five leaf pack) and the ones I left behind ('84 F150, four leaf pack).

I heard back from Mike Eaton. He's interested in putting together an 'upgrade kit'. You might want to go that route. I think I'd pass on the Bronco leaves since they're wider.

glfredrick said:
I ditched the factory overload plate as I felt that it limited upwards flex.
It's pretty whimpy, too. But, now I worry about the F150 overload spring. It's not whimpy and might make my leaf packs too stiff.

glfredrick said:
I replaced it with a cheapy full-length overload spring from AutoZone. It works out well (sort of like an AAL but much flexier). I just sandwiched it between the spring and the lower spring plate.
Is that what's shown in this picture?
15014Rear_Srpings_1.jpg

glfredrick said:
I modified the lower mounting plates (that ride under the spring pack) by adding some 1/4" diamond plate steel as a "slider" that protects the heads of the U-bolts. I simply cut out the plates to the desired size, welded them directly to the lower plates and then ran a hole saw in the places where I had to get access to the spring bolts. I heated the ends of the plates up with my torch and bent them into a slider position, with curved edges. They have withstood a lot of abuse and I don't have any issues with messing up my U-bolts.
That's are a nice way to make some budget sliders. I'm having something special fabbed that raises the lower shock mount and includes replaceable slider plates. More unsprung weight!

glfredrick said:
I'll also replace my U-bolts with new ones that are 1/2" instead of the smaller factory 7/16".
Mine are already 1/2" and I'm thinking of going to 9/16". Strong is good!

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup: , Dave.

Bronco638 said:
It's pretty whimpy, too. But, now I worry about the F150 overload spring. It's not whimpy and might make my leaf packs too stiff.

Mine is intentionally "wimpy." I want flex - not the ability to haul firewood... :D I regularly turn my springs inside out when wheeling... Hard on the springs, but it works.

Is that what's shown in this picture?
15014Rear_Srpings_1.jpg

Yup... and total cost somewhere around $30.00.

That's are a nice way to make some budget sliders. I'm having something special fabbed that raises the lower shock mount and includes replaceable slider plates. More unsprung weight!

Mine were free... I am working on a design that will improve what I have and relocate the tops of the bolts to above the axle. I make most of my own stuff... I have had a problem ripping off the adjusting knobs on my Rancho 9000s... Time to make something better.

Mine are already 1/2" and I'm thinking of going to 9/16". Strong is good!

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup: , Dave.

My pleasure. I like to share stuff back and forth - we all get better.

glf,
Yeah, "wimpy" was just an observation not an indictment! :D

Be sure to share your spring plate/slider idea when they're complete.

Any chance you remember the AutoZone part number for those overload leaves?

Thanks, D.

You don't even need a part number - they sell by the general suspension stuff on the shelf near the energy suspension links, coil spring spacers, shackles, etc. They are the 2000# overload helper springs and come in a flat long box. Every AZ that I've seen (also Pep Boys - J. C. Whitney, etc.) has them in stock.

To anyone considering this mod but doesn't want to search thru junk yards for old F150s:

Eaton Detroit Spring is offering an 'upgrade kit':
Leaves (w/o main plate), retaining clips, center bolts, inserts and u-bolts w/nuts and washers (for both sides) $260.00 plus shipping (recent price increase due to steel costs).

This is a complete kit and nothing else is needed (except your mechanical expertise).

Feel free to email or PM me with additional questions and/or for contact information.

Robb: if this post is against Forum rules, I apologise. Feel free to remove it (please let me know you are doing so).

Thought I would show a few action shots of the suspension flexed out...

These were from last Saturday - on a private farm in Kentucky.

I'm coming up out of a stream bed. It was greasy as snot becasue of all the rain we had.

15014Explorer_Flex_1.jpg

15014Explorer_Flex_2.jpg

15014Front_Wheel_Pic.jpg

15014Rear_Wheel_Flex.jpg

Nice flex! And, I'm glad I don't have to clean that truck! :D

Bronco638 said:
Nice flex! And, I'm glad I don't have to clean that truck! :D

The worst part is that the stuff on the truck is a mixture of cow poop and pure clay - and it dropped to 10*F for the past two nights - so it is baked and frozen on quite solidly by now.

Oh well, soon as it warms up I'll hit it for about 3 hours with our wimpy little pressure washer over some of the holes in the yard. Free fill anyone? :rolleyes:

glfredrick said:
The worst part is that the stuff on the truck is a mixture of cow poop and pure clay.

Whew, if it weren't 10º, I'll bet that smells BAD! :eek:

I did this with Bronco springs. They are 3" but they fit.
I have a 2.5" Duff lift and it is close to level. A tad lower in the rear I think.

Bronco638 said:
Whew, if it weren't 10º, I'll bet that smells BAD! :eek:

The worst part is that the "stuff" is still on the truck... So far it has stayed cold enough that I haven't even been able to get it washed off... It has sort of "freeze dried" onto the truck.

We are supposed to get back into the high 40's early this week and it will be a race between temprature and stink... It will make nice fill for the low spots in my yard, however. :D

Here's a shot from Saturday night (I was hauling home another Exploder that I bought - parting out if anyone is interested.) Pictures are horrible - it was dark out.

15014Muddy-med.jpg

Sorry, I've been on vacation. What model year truck are you parting out? I need the entire turn signal stalk that'll fit on a '96.

Thanks, D.

just got mine done about midnight last night. and i missed. I was aiming for about 1.5-2.5 inches of lift and i got about 3-3.5. Intertwined the f-150 and the expo leafs in to a mega 6-leaf pack. It looks good except the nose is in the dirt and i need to realign my headlights now. ride is defanetly firmer and balance over rough bumps seems like the whole truck shoots up level instead of front then rear. there is hardly any squat on hard accleration. If it doesnt settle a bit by the end of the month i'll have to pull a leaf back out because its too high. but thanks for all the help!! all the info i needed was right here in this post! inspiration too!!! hopefully I can blaze a new path and help others like this. I'm looking forward to it when i convert my 5.0 awd to a 5-speed and part time t-case next fall!! :thumbsup:

You may find your rear leaf pack to be quite stiff with all those leaves in there (rough ride and lack of off-road rear suspension flex). However, if you're towing ot hauling a load, this may be a benefit. If you don't go off-road, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Glad that the original post provided information/inspiration and I appreciate the feedback.

Happy Trails!!

Dave.

Bronco638 said:
To anyone considering this mod but doesn't want to search thru junk yards for old F150s:

Eaton Detroit Spring is offering an 'upgrade kit':
Leaves (w/o main plate), retaining clips, center bolts, inserts and u-bolts w/nuts and washers (for both sides) $225.00 plus shipping.

This is a complete kit and nothing else is needed (except your mechanical expertise).

Feel free to email or PM me with additional questions and/or for contact information.

Robb: if this post is against Forum rules, I apologise. Feel free to remove it (please let me know you are doing so).

Great job on the write-up!

Do you know if this offer is still available? PM sent.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know, it is still available.

Response sent to your PM.

Back