Mod'ing Cam Postion Sensor (CMP) for 351W ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mod'ing Cam Postion Sensor (CMP) for 351W ???

r.barn

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 LX
Hey guys,

I have a 351W in a Fox Mustang and will be retro fitting
a Ford EDIS system on to it.

To loose dizzy altogether I was going to use the Explorer
"cam position sensor" to drive the oil pump. (no sensor input)

being its from a 5.0 engine it will not be long enough

What do you guys so when swapping a 351W in to lengthen it?
or is this a mod thats just not done?

please help ..... thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about the first gen Explorers but the second Gen's have an oil pan that is unique to the front differential. And as you know the 351 has a larger rear main so the oil pan's can not be swapped.

Welcome to the site, I know what you are after. It has been done, and you should hunt for Todd(tmsoko) and his many posts about his 351W AWD Ranger Splash. He has the several fabrication steps done already for his truck. He posts here occasionally, but most of his detailed posts are on RPS, a Ranger forum.

The cam sensor needs work, plus the oil pan(for Explorer Rack clearance), and the balancer is the biggest fabrication to do. You should change the whole operating system to the OBDII of the 96-01 Explorer, including the front accessories.

I'm hoping to do the OBDII in my 91 LSC some day, with twin turbos. Good luck,

The oil pan should be no issue at all in the Fox bodied Mustangs, Windsors are stuck in them all the time. I hope Todd gets the Ranger up and running, he has a lot of time in it.

Ahh, just up my alley - thank jtsmith for alerting me to this.

The 351W and 302 use the identical length distributor, just the diameter is different for the drive shaft. The oil pump hex drive on a 302 is 1/4". For the 351W, it is 5/16". For this , Ford ran a larger diameter distributor shaft. What I did was to take the lower half off of a 351W distributor and cut the same section off an explorer DIS cam sensor / oil drive assembly, then machined and welded up the new assembly. Here is a picture of the end result:

Dsc02840-s.jpg

The joint from the explorer shaft to the 351W distributor shaft is "inside" the casting, just below the o-ring. The shafts are common size in that location.

Good luck!

The oil pan should be no issue at all in the Fox bodied Mustangs, Windsors are stuck in them all the time. I hope Todd gets the Ranger up and running, he has a lot of time in it.

For a 351W in a Fox you will need either the Ford oil pan swap kit, or you can go to your parts store and buy an oil pan for a 1987 Crown Victoria with the 351. This is the same pan you will get from Ford but only costs around $80. The 302 pan is the same between the two cars. You will also need the oil pickup. The crown vic pickup has a small opening at the bottom, There is a factory one that has a bigger opening, but i cant recall what it is from.

Yes, it's just one of a few common double-hump pans. The trucks had a pan that could be used also. 351W pans beyond the early years are mostly double-hump pans.

Back