want to do 351W in 94 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

want to do 351W in 94

Someone further up the thread mentioned mustang headers, does anyone have any more info on that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I imagine that's big bucks, and on a 4x4 I'm not sure you want to be lowering the drivetrain. I believe the 351w pans from vans are supposed to have good clearence for swaps iirc.

for more info on mustang headers for the swap, search on therangerstation.com, they have a whole thread on v8 swap header fitment, and several of those were 351w's

for more info on mustang headers for the swap, search on therangerstation.com, they have a whole thread on v8 swap header fitment, and several of those were 351w's

Thanks, all the swaps on there I have found so far are for 2wd which would run the header/down pipe where our driveshaft/pumpkin are. But I will keep searching, since I haven't decided if I am keeping the explorer and the 383 is fully forged I may just swap in a junkyard 5.0 since I'll likely have to source the aod/bw1356 from there.

so i wanted to toss my own 2 cents in. from front to back. how do you plan on cooling it? if you want 800hp, its going to get a tad on the warm side. running a alum rad is a start, but you would need a custom one, because you will have to put it inside the rad support.
why there? your going to run out of room if your running a roots style 871 blower because the crank pulley will be bigger, then you have to figure out where your going to mount your fans.
as for pans, you will have to do some digging or fab work. i dont know much about v8 swaps in a first gen, so i dont know if you need a rear, front, or duel sump pan.
also, are you running your power steering? you will have to find, or make brackets up for it as well, and if your doing a soa, find a steering box for it.
as everyone else is saying, headers will be a issue, unless you have a wheel barrel full of money to toss at someone to make a set.
valve cover clearance will be a issue as well, unless you put a body lift on it, then you may not have to hack up your heater/ac box as bad.
do you plan on wheeling it? i wouldnt go bird catcher then, that's my opinion however.
you have priced out the block, and stoker kit, but haven't priced a blower, intake, or heads (5 wheel barrels of cash should cover that).
how a bout trans? a T5 will be happy until you lay into it, then after that, you prob wont be able to identify anything so your going to have to get a beefy trans for it. then there's the diff. 8.8's are strong, but not with that amount of power.
not trying to pee on your parade, but these and more issues will sneak up on you, and bite you hard. what ever you plan for a budget, triple it, then you
ll be close. there is a difference on getting that motor/drive line combo in, and getting it in so it lasts.

so i wanted to toss my own 2 cents in. from front to back. how do you plan on cooling it? if you want 800hp, its going to get a tad on the warm side. running a alum rad is a start, but you would need a custom one, because you will have to put it inside the rad support.
why there? your going to run out of room if your running a roots style 871 blower because the crank pulley will be bigger, then you have to figure out where your going to mount your fans.
as for pans, you will have to do some digging or fab work. i dont know much about v8 swaps in a first gen, so i dont know if you need a rear, front, or duel sump pan.
also, are you running your power steering? you will have to find, or make brackets up for it as well, and if your doing a soa, find a steering box for it.
as everyone else is saying, headers will be a issue, unless you have a wheel barrel full of money to toss at someone to make a set.
valve cover clearance will be a issue as well, unless you put a body lift on it, then you may not have to hack up your heater/ac box as bad.
do you plan on wheeling it? i wouldnt go bird catcher then, that's my opinion however.
you have priced out the block, and stoker kit, but haven't priced a blower, intake, or heads (5 wheel barrels of cash should cover that).
how a bout trans? a T5 will be happy until you lay into it, then after that, you prob wont be able to identify anything so your going to have to get a beefy trans for it. then there's the diff. 8.8's are strong, but not with that amount of power.
not trying to pee on your parade, but these and more issues will sneak up on you, and bite you hard. what ever you plan for a budget, triple it, then you
ll be close.
there is a difference on getting that motor/drive line combo in, and getting it in so it lasts.

So were up to 18 wheelbarrows full of cash, and counting. (Yes, they are wheelbarrows, not wheel barrels.)

So were up to 18 wheelbarrows full of cash, and counting. (Yes, they are wheelbarrows, not wheel barrels.)

I literally laughed out loud when I read this

trying to stuff 800HP into a 4wd vehicle and be reliable is never cost effective, and nearly impossible in a vehicle with no aftermarket performance support such as the explorer. Im running out of aftermarket support in my 87 f-350 at 400HP without boost or a racing block. The rules for the class i run stipulate it has to be a stock production block

I'm sorry, but I feel like this is just a bit over the top. What do you want 800hp for? Is it just to have 800hp? Do you have any idea how much power that really is? This is totally putting aside everything else you need to support 800hp (tranny, axles, radiator, oil cooler, tranny cooler, transfer case, ect). If your gonna be taking it off road have you even thought about caging it first? You want an 800hp offroad truck without a cage? I would love to see a well built 800hp explorer, I just don't see any evidence this is anymore than a daydream.

The engine build I want to do on the 351w in my 69 Cougar is a little over 800hp. Its a $14,000 build and that's just the engine and transmission. I know because I've done my homework. Like its been said, I'd love to see it but I doubt this is anything more than internet chest thumping.

hey hey now lol... when theres "18 wheelbarrows" full of money, theres a way!

But hey! why stop at 800??? man up and spend the 45K on the 632ci Bennet Racing 2000HP supercharged big block
1000hp_crx.jpg

2000HP20SUPERCHARGED20CRATE20ENGINE20L.jpg

Now thats an explorer project to spend your "18 wheelbarrows" on!

Nice Ideas and I want all the feed back the cooling is the issue I am facing the most I was going to move it forward since i'm running a stick I won't need a transmission cooler so I could move it forward that way and the transmission is the other thing I have not found for that particular engine I have one I like but I'm no sure how it going to mate to the 351W and it is a 6 speed like this one http://www.rsgear.com/products/transmissions/race-performance/zf.aspx
. Supercharger is going to be $4,400 http://www.dyersblowers.com/1694.html .
The heads I have not found yet but putting about $1,500 for a full loaded set. As for oil pan I was going to go custom as I am leaning towards dana 60`s and headers custom as well but probably home built instead of bought.

If you are serious about a project like this - buy an entire donor F350 with 351W, ZF5 (The 6 is basically a bragging right, no real benefit to having the extra gear), and front Dana 60, rear Sterling 10.25. Take those parts one at a time and bring them up to the level you so wish, then after all that is built begin the large amount of fabbing required to stuff all that into your EX.

On second thought, It might even be cheaper/ easier to graft the Explorer body right onto a shortened F350 chassis - after that build the drivetrain however you see fit.

on a 1st gen a factory rear sump pan should work without any problems. some of the ranger guys are running dual sump pans, but IIRC they were 2wd

Wow, this gotten just about too ridiculous to comment on and better judgement tells me not too but I can't help myself..

Clearance issues are a given- headers would be in the wheel-wells.

Trans is another story all together.. If you want to stay electronic then you would HAVE to use a 4R100 if you want it to last.. The only way to get that to fit is to do a body lift. Then good luck retaining the 4 wheel drive. Take a look under a late 90s early 2000s F250 4x4.. It'll blow your mind how big the 4R100 trans is plus the larger transfer case.. A 4R70W is only good for 600 RWHP reliably.. Trust me a 400 hp explorer is still a lot of fun ;)

Budget wise vroomzoomboom couldn't be more right.. Good luck and ill be watching :salute:

If you are serious about a project like this - buy an entire donor F350 with 351W, ZF5 (The 6 is basically a bragging right, no real benefit to having the extra gear), and front Dana 60, rear Sterling 10.25. Take those parts one at a time and bring them up to the level you so wish, then after all that is built begin the large amount of fabbing required to stuff all that into your EX.

On second thought, It might even be cheaper/ easier to graft the Explorer body right onto a shortened F350 chassis - after that build the drivetrain however you see fit.

This is a good idea I did not think about doing this I going to put this on the top list to consider since it would be a lot less work and a lot stronger frame.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I missed the part where you said you wanted a manual.. I already gave my criticism for this build but I'm going to love to see the end result.. :thumbsup: this thing will be crazy! Reminds me more of a monster truck build

Back