• Register Today It's free!

Motor sludge 4.0 ohv

1991 sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Lompoc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 eddie bauer
Got some sludge this truck sits alot. Past 200k going to be changing oil next week I want to clean some out...heres what I'm thinking... I got 2 quarts of 5w30 laying around and I was thinking that and a quart of mystery oil and "maybe a quart of transmission fluid" just using what I already have.. I know flushing is bad and trans fluid is frowned upon but every few minutes I get a lifter tap that goes away.not wanting to run a chemical flush product.. I'm sure there's 1/4 inch of sludge coating everything on the bottom end and I'm only planning on running it at idle 5 min at a time. Would you flush it or just keep the sludge? Going with 5w30 instead of the 10 w30 that would also help I'm sure thinner= more oil flow better for lifers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you run transmission fluid in it you will release all that sludge, just like a flush.

ATF will work, 4 qt oil 1 qt atf
Mystery oil will also work, same 4 qt oil, 1 qt mystery oil

Diesel oil is a good choice, diesel oil has many detergents you could run 5 quarts of diesel oil
You can also run Mobil one full synthetic, it will clean that engine up in time, if you start running it with each oil change

I have seen some sludgy sludgy engines with low oil pressure brought right back to life with these treatments, diesel oil or mobil one get my vote.

Okay it's on
20201210_144432.jpg

Update: thank you mbrooks 420 and 410Fortune for your insight... The lifter issue is gone. As I suspected when it started to tick I usually just change the oil. Yes it is flushing I start it for 5 min every 12 hrs or so but OMG what a difference it has made I didn't suspect whisper quiet but it is. Nice.. As far as mobile 1 full synthetic goes I used it once I had to take it out because it started leaking and I switched back no problems since but that's like the best oil ever almost too good. Haha and yes m Brooks it is just like a flush but I used oil mix with trans fluid to increase friction and detergent....kinda like a flush but not quite but I'm targeting the lifters and sludge those chemicals have a hardcore degreaser or something I've used them in the past on other vehicles. One trick I like old I probably will do this time...spraying a couple cans of brake cleaner up onto the drain hole letting all the sludge come back out.... What do u guys think about that?

As far as the diesel oil goes would u use that in a ohc motor I'm seriously considering that in a 4.6 police interceptor like the truck oil because of the way my girlfriend drives thinking it would be more durable because when I do change the oil it's like water.

diesel oil will remove the sludge it is very good at it. It will not hurt a gasoline engine to have some diesel oil in it for a while. Lots of detergents in there.
I would not be shooting brake cleaner at my crank bearings, just stick with the program let the detergents do their job, the atf, the marvel or the diesel oil...... this is something that happens over time with a few fluid changes

I had to flush my '94 4.0 OHV too. I did much of the same as everyone else and washed the sludge out with 3/4 gallon of gas. Sounds dangerous but definitely a cold engine, not running, nothing. Let soak for 5 minutes then took out drain plug, drain and vent for several hours. A lot of other loose sludge came out.

Little bit of seafood in the oil(about 1 ounce per quarter of oil) does a good job, too! Did this before my last oil change, just ran it like that for a couple hundred miles, then changed the oil. Made a big difference! Lifter tick is gone, and the engine is a lot smoother!

Seafoam, not seafood! Stupid autocorrect! Although, a little popcorn shrimp might help, too!🤣😅

Back