Mounting Walmart Fogs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounting Walmart Fogs

Went out and got some of them Blazer Foglights, for 15 bucks you can't go wrong with it. Was wondering how the hell y'all mounted them in the stock fog spots. Best thing I've gotten so far was a metal bar across the top of the cage thing that I mounted between the plastic piece and the bolt. That's not exactly very tight either. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just be creative when you mount them, but the last thing you want is a light that will bounce when going down the road, that sucks for everyone, you and other drivers.

You can make those $15 fogs work like $200 fogs with a little clear silicoln to keep dirt and water out. they are not sealed well fromthe factory, a few minutes time to take them apart, seal the casings and lenses with silicoln really improves them

the next step os to cover the lenses with a scrap piece of 3M clear bra, this will stop all chipping or breaking that will happen otherwise.

My new mounting plan is to take what I have now, and get 2 long bolts for each light and 2 more steel strips. Then I'm gonna bolt the 2 strips together on the sides around the cage areas, forming basically a clamp down on the cage to hold it in place.

Anyone have any constructive advice?

Sounds like you got the right idea. You make your own U bolt. In the hardware store the piece I use for going between the bolts is called a "mending plate". Or you can also use the "angle brackets" and cut & drill them to size. The "perforated steel" is usually too flimsy to make a solid mount.
Have fun....

Got one side mounted, and boy is that firmer. Doesn't move when I push it and just hand tightened the bolts, no ratcheting yet. But I forgot to buy 2 sets of bolts and stuff, making the other side a project for tomorrow.

Next step is wiring. The way they'd like them wired is you wire the power from the two of them into a Y cable that goes to their switch and the battery. But I had stock fogs so I have a nice OEM setup. I'm thinking I just need to ground the lights and wire the positive to the stock switch. Any ideas on where I could get to it? Or is it easer to just tap the wires that came down for the fog lights originally?

OK, after contemplating the wires, I've realized why none of it was making sense. The Wal-Mart jobbers don't have a relay. Its just lights to switch to fuse to battery. Now to rack the brain on what to do NOW.

You can use the oem wiresto power the lights. Just tap them for ea. side. Dont use one side for both lights.
The benefit of useing a relay is that the lights will be brighter. The oem wires are smaller and dont carry as many volts.
If you do decide to use a relay let us know & we'll help with the hook-up.

Is this relay something I could get at advance auto parts? And how would I do it with a relay? I'd rather do it the right way if possible. And seeing as how I'm going up that way tomorrow to get the other set of bolts... I might as well do it right.

You will probably need a "crimping tool" to put the female ends on the wire to attach to the relay pins. A wire stripper is also good. 3M elect. tape. 12/14ga. connectors. 14 guage wire.
Look at the wiring diagram in the FOQs , at top of Lighting page.
You would run a wire from your oem hot fog light wire to pin 86 on the relay. Now, your oem fog switch turns on the relay which supplies direct power to your lights.

Got everything wired up and mounted, except one thing. I can't find a place to tap the oem hot wire to send to my relay. Anyone know of any places? The wires that fed the fogs before all have little connectors that seem to be Ford specific, and none of the wires are labeled positive or negative or have different colors or any other kind of marking. Way to go Ford. Any insight would be great, thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it to work, will post pictures of it soon. When in doubt, just cut the wire you *think* needs to be cut.

Way to go. You get two "atta boys".

Hooray for pictures!

807486_14_full.jpg

807486_15_full.jpg

Two shots of them on.

807486_16_full.jpg

That's how I mounted them.

Now to start playing with the little distribution box mod and think about rigging up more lights...

looks good, nice mounting job

very creative!!!good job

Lock tight those mounting bolts and or run another jamb nut on them, those long bolts will come loose likely over time. Nice job BTW.

Good point, Might do add those in Thursday. And thanks everyone.

Can you get a picture of these when there not turned on? I need new fog's one of my is yellowed, and those look like a perfect fit. I just wanna see what the lenses look like when there not on, thanks!

807486_17_full.jpg

And yes I know I parked like an ass in the picture, the girl next to me had as well so I had to park over more to not put my truck in jeopardy. I park on the other side of my building now since the people on that side can't park for crap. :)

These are actual fogs so they have the weird lens. There's also a driving lights set with a clear lens(not diamond clear though). THey're pretty much exactly the same size as the stock ones.

You could try cleaning the yellow off the foglights if you can get them off without damaging anything, I tried that but they got all broken-like. If you get them off, just clean the lens with some rubbing alcohol, then wet-sand with around 2000 grit sandpaper. With a little work you can clean it just like a headlight. Then when its cleared up to your liking, put some wax on it. Sometimes it works so that they're good as new.

cough cough "clear corners" cough cough.

Also it is a well known fact that people who live in rouge buildings cannot park.
if you want those lights to last (at least in CO) get some scrap 3m clear bra, otherwise the lenses will chip and break quickly

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Fortune said:
if you want those lights to last (at least in CO) get some scrap 3m clear bra, otherwise the lenses will chip and break quickly

Where do you get this 3M "clear bra" stuff?

Back