• Register Today It's free!

MTX or Kicker??

Kirk_Dunkley

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary Alberta Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer sport
Hey all, time for me to ask you all a new question ... Well I was at the audio store, and the guy at that one sold MTX and not kicker. When I asked him what he thought of Kicker, he said that MTX would blow kicker out of the water. Now when I was at the shop where they sell kicker and not MTX the other guy said kicker was way better. I am trying to decide between a Kicker L7 Solobaric 15 inch, and an MTX 8000 15 inch. I am also wondering- should I go Kicker Kx 1200.1 amp for the sub or MTX81000D for the sub??? Please let me know what you think, I think they both sound great, but I dunno now...

www.MTX.com
www.Kicker.com

2 links there to do the comparo- thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've never really seen the mtx in action, but i can tell you that i've seen some amazaing things out of the kickeer solo baric subs

basically you'll have to listen for yourself. both of them are great choices. neither one will blow the other out of the water. both the amps are great too.very efficient, rated at 12.5 volts. i'm not a big fan of most MTX subwoofers, but the 8000 series really pound.
if you listen to them and still cant decide, flip a coin. :)

Seeing we carry both line at work I think I can give you a good answer. If it was my choice I would do the Kicker L7 and the Kicker amp. The MTX is a good sub but I see more of them come back with burnt voice coils, a coiling problem last year, this was supose to be fixed with the redesign this year. We will see.The Kicker will give you more output than the MTX. The Kicker has more cone surface and greater excurtion.
MTX recommende 1.25 and up to 2.25 cubic feet .
The Kicker recommends 1.5 cubic feet sealed. The kicker is a little harder to build with all the internal braceing that you should do.

That guy obviously has never heard any Kicker products. Kicker underrates ALL there sub and amp ratings. I have one Kicker amp running two 12 inch Kicker comps, the amp is rated at 200x1 but the birth sheet says it was tested at 310x1 at the max. Prime example. I've heard MTX subs, running off an MTX amp and I wasn't all that impressed. The top of the line MTX products aren't bad, but they don't beat Kicker, not even close.

The guy probably had a bunch of MTX stuff to get rid of, something crazy like that. :confused:

hmmm, ok well, I guess it will be a toss UP. Lets have some votes. If you vote for MTX 8000 15 inch sub reply with the number 1. if you vote Kicker L7 15 inch sub reply with number 2. Keep in mind, I am looking at the newest models (2002) of each.

your best bet is to go listen for yourself.

Originally posted by Hartman

Also mighty expensive. :eek:

that's true, but you get what u pay for :D i dont use anything but JL. i used to have 3 10"s in my old standard cab F150. it was badass, but stupid me sold it with them in it =\ so i bought some W3s (12") for my X. i am hard of hearing now. :D :confused: :D

yeah, W3s are great subs. they are my favorite JL subs. i had a W6 in my daytona, but didnt like it as much as the W3 that i had before it.
kirk, i think you should definitely look into JL also. there are lots of great brands out there.

Before I got my 12's I was running two 10" Kicker comps in a sealed box. I was running 150 watts to each and they were rated at 450 ( If I remember right), and this was in a king cab ranger! If I turned it up over 1/2 way with a song with any kind of bass it would completely blur your vision and hear it half a block away! I vote for the Kickers all the way....I'm saving up the money myself for a new pair of 15" comps!! But ultimatly its your choice of sound....so don't let any pushy sales people talk ya into nothing before YOU are ready to pick!

Rock on!!

97 2dr sport, 1800 watts, 2- 12" Audiobahns

Originally posted by XXXplorer_nc
Before I got my 12's I was running two 10" Kicker comps in a sealed box. I was running 150 watts to each and they were rated at 450 ( If I remember right), and this was in a king cab ranger! If I turned it up over 1/2 way with a song with any kind of bass it would completely blur your vision and hear it half a block away! I vote for the Kickers all the way....I'm saving up the money myself for a new pair of 15" comps!! But ultimatly its your choice of sound....so don't let any pushy sales people talk ya into nothing before YOU are ready to pick!

Rock on!!

97 2dr sport, 1800 watts, 2- 12" Audiobahns

you'd trade audiobahns for kickers?? are you insane? audiobahns are monsters! they by far blow kicker away.

thanks guys, and thanks to XXXplorer_nc for the support. I am going to get an L7 and thats final I am putting it in a 6 cubic foot box. I will have my design up soon- plexiglass/neon, maybe some mirrors in there...

audiobahns are really expensive, and they are no where near as loud as kickers. I have tested both.

Originally posted by Kirk_Dunkley
audiobahns are really expensive, and they are no where near as loud as kickers. I have tested both.
well it depends on what models you are comparing. if you are comparing a lower end audiobahn to a higher end kicker, then yes the kicker will be louder. but compare a 12"L7 to a 12" AW1208Q and you'll see that the Audiobahn is much louder and maintains clarity even at high volumes. and the AWT series is insane. 3000 watts through an AWT15 will blow you away.

YEah I suppoose. I really like kicker. I dont mind JL, but kicker is my favorite- meh loud enough. I am getting my stuff at cost anyhow so it wont cost to to much. Could get a w7 at cost... heheh

between kicker and MTX, i would go with kicker...
but when i was searching for my system i went and listened to every brand possible...and i picked rockford fosgate, they were cheap, loud, and have a good name behind them.

i have 2 kicker 15" solos l7 running on 2 rf 1000.1 punch amps and they rock!! on low bass and even on high!! i get in my buddies truck and i can tell the diff BIG TIME he has 2 12" impulses. if anything i would go w/ the l7 solo baric~!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JL audio rocks

88vert has a really nice set up and I heard it and boy does that sound great and it really rocks with some rob zombie cranking. My wife had all the windows closed and she was in the living room away from the back where 88vert and myself were parked and she said she felt like she was standing outside with us:D

Back