Multiple suspension noises | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

Exit 32, Did the C-Clap solve the problem???

Since installing the C-clamp and stiffening on the rear edge of the heat shield, I've been listening intently every time I drive my Explorer. I still have some noise, but I believe it has diminished. Bottom line is that the results of adding the C-clamp are inconclusive.

I plan to continue experimenting with that large heat shield. One thought is to loosen the fasteners that attach the heat shield to the underbody and see if physically decoupling the shield from the body eliminates the noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That definitely sounds like what I'm hearing inside the cabin. Any ideas for fixes?
Keep in mind there could be several differences between the 6th gen. and your 5th gen. Explorer.

Peter

Peter. I don't think we can compare the 5th gen at all with the 6th gen. Completely different animals ! That in it self is the problem. Ford rushed the 6th gen to market. If they would have waited one more year to release it we might not have all the issues they the owners are experiencing. I do not think they did enough testing to get all the bugs worked out . Plus the Quality control issues.

I still am experiencing the chassis/suspension noises on my ST. Not getting worse , but still there. My dealer has been no help at all !! They are now telling me that I should contact Ford directly for answers.......I DON'T AGREE. THE CAR IS UNDER WARRANTY AND THE DEALER SHOULD BE DOING THE LEG WORK !!

It's not unheard of Bill that owners have called Ford directly and opened a case and received a case number. There have been several posts about that. Now, whether it has done any good, is another issue.

Peter

It's not unheard of Bill that owners have called Ford directly and opened a case and received a case number. There have been several posts about that. Now, whether it has done any good, is another issue.

Peter
Yes Peter , owners have contacted Ford and I fully understand . However ,as you say whether its done any good is another story. But, the car is under warranty so my mind set is to have Ford fix it. If I were to get a buy back I think I would have to get another Ford vehicle. I may be wrong on this. Bottom line is I am dissatisfied with this vehicle and not at all happy with Fords response to all of this. Once my lease is up I am going elsewhere.

I'm not entirely sure how a buyback on a lease works Bill. I'm guessing that they would pay off the lease so you'd be free to buy whichever vehicle brand you wish. A buyback doesn't tie you to that particular brand as a future vehicle.

Peter

I'm not entirely sure how a buyback on a lease works Bill. I'm guessing that they would pay off the lease so you'd be free to buy whichever vehicle brand you wish. A buyback doesn't tie you to that particular brand as a future vehicle.

Peter
If this were the case , I would do it today. I am going to do some more checking.

Keep in mind there could be several differences between the 6th gen. and your 5th gen. Explorer.

Peter
Updated profile to reflect current vehicle.

Updated profile to reflect current vehicle.
Hello all - relatively new ST owner here and hearing the "clunk" in the front end. I hear mine even when going super slow over small or medium bumps. Interestingly, I do not hear it over larger bumps.

Has anyone received any updates on the potential cause of this sound? Vehicle is currently at dealer and they are waiting on the Ford Engineering. I am not holding my breath that any results come from this but was curious if anyone has had any additional luck.

Hello all - relatively new ST owner here and hearing the "clunk" in the front end. I hear mine even when going super slow over small or medium bumbs. Interestingly, I do not hear it over larger bumps.

Has anyone received any updates on the potential cause of this sound? Vehicle is currently at dealer and they are waiting on the Ford Engineering. I am not holding my breath that any results come from this but was curious if anyone has had any additional luck.
My Platinum is still doing it and repeated trips to the dealer have proved fruitless. They keep telling me the Ford engineers are working on it. I've never heard anything from Ford despite having filed a complaint directly with them (800-392-3673).

Ryan, I don't think the noise goes away at higher speeds. What I hear, even at freeway speeds, is the same noise only it's constant. The rattle becomes a low frequency sound that is just added to the road noise. It's easy to identify when going from smooth to corse asphalt or concrete.

My Platinum is still doing it and repeated trips to the dealer have proved fruitless. They keep telling me the Ford engineers are working on it. I've never heard anything from Ford despite having filed a complaint directly with them (800-392-3673).

Ryan, I don't think the noise goes away at higher speeds. What I hear, even at freeway speeds, is the same noise only it's constant. The rattle becomes a low frequency sound that is just added to the road noise. It's easy to identify when going from smooth to corse asphalt or concrete.
Thanks Steve - interestingly, I just received a call from the service department at my dealer. He has told me that engineering tells him, that the noise is perfectly normal and that it has something to do with an engine mount. I honestly don't know what to believe anymore, but hopefully, I can simply get used to it.

Thanks Steve - interestingly, I just received a call from the service department at my dealer. He has told me that engineering tells him, that the noise is perfectly normal and that it has something to do with an engine mount. I honestly don't know what to believe anymore, but hopefully, I can simply get used to it.

I have dealt with the same issues on my ST. Dealer has troubleshot on numerous visits. Contacted Ford and have been told they are working the problem. Also that is a normal thing and will have to deal with !! NOT !!! There is something wrong . Ford just will not admit to the issue. My wifes 2018 Audi Q5 is solid as a rock. I check back with Ford least twice a month and still the same song & dance. I am half way through my lease and when its up its good bye ST and Ford. I will move on to a foreign vehicle.

Well, that's new info. I've not heard the engine mount theory but...Normal? Can't afford to sell the vehicle without losing umpteen thousands so I guess I'm stuck for awhile. Like you, I'll get used to it. That's what Ford wants, isn't it??? "Fix Or Repair Daily" ... Now I understand.

I've been driving Ford's more than seventy years. I won't be around much longer but if I buy another car it sure a hell won't be a Ford. I'll join Bill Holt.

Well, that's new info. I've not heard the engine mount theory but...Normal? Can't afford to sell the vehicle without losing umpteen thousands so I guess I'm stuck for awhile. Like you, I'll get used to it. That's what Ford wants, isn't it??? "Fix Or Repair Daily" ... Now I understand.

I've been driving Ford's more than seventy years. I won't be around much longer but if I buy another car it sure a hell won't be a Ford. I'll join Bill Holt.
Very frustrating indeed. At least mine is a lease so I have a little over two years. Darn shame because the truck, otherwise, is fantastic.

It will be interesting to see if this issue is present in the 2021 models? If not, what changed? Will that shine light on the issue?

I scrolled through all 414 posts in this thread and noticed that the suspension noises discussed here seem to be associated only with the ST and Platinum models. There are two posts (#59 and #387) that document noise from four-cylinder 2020 Explorers, but the vast majority of complaints are from drivers of six-cylinder 2020 Explorers.

So, considering the underside of the vehicle where these noises seem to originate, what differentiates the ST and Platinum models from the XLT and Limited models? Engine mounts and exhaust system for sure. Anything else?

So, considering the underside of the vehicle where these noises seem to originate, what differentiates the ST and Platinum models from the XLT and Limited models? Engine mounts and exhaust system for sure. Anything else?
Engine weight?

Peter

Engine weight?

Peter
Yes - I wonder if it has something to do with not utilizing adequately upsized mounts to support the heavier engine. This may put undue stress on the mounts causing creaks and clunks that we are now having to deal with. Seems like a way to use standardized parts and cut a few costs from a supply chain perspective.

I just wonder how the structure differs, if at all, from the Aviator? I don't recall seeing any post about the same issue with them. Mine is quiet.

Peter

I just wonder how the structure differs, if at all, from the Aviator? I don't recall seeing any post about the same issue with them. Mine is quiet.

Peter
Good point, Peter - and I do not know the answer to that. I wonder if they would take back this lease, and I could find my way into an aviator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good point, Peter - and I do not know the answer to that. I wonder if they would take back this lease, and I could find my way into an aviator.

Good point Ryan. I toyed with getting a 2020 Aviator Reserve BUT got the 2020 ST instead....hindsight !!!. I am half way through my 2 year lease and if I could I would walk away from this ST and get a Aviator. I have poised that question to several people at my dealership but naturally no response . Does not surprise me ! If I have to keep this ST until my lease is up its gone and I am finished with FOMOCO, I will buy foreign . ( Audi or Porsche ).

Back