Mustang staggered wheels fit quite nicely; S550 15+ to '18 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang staggered wheels fit quite nicely; S550 15+ to '18 Sport

dark360

Reaction score
City, State
Danbury, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
18 Explorer Sport
Fully expected to have to use spacers but my Mustang staggered wheels fit perfectly on the '18 Sport. 20x10 et25 front with 275/40r20, 20x11 et52 rear with 305/35r20 clear everything nicely. The rears could use a ~20mm spacer for looks but they fit fine. Hubcentric rings to deal with the hub size difference of course...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, also, the Ford Performance TPMS sensors for 15+ mustangs that I had in these wheels automatically synced with the explorer so thats a bonus.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The tires may fit but both front and rear do not follow the 3% rule. 3 percent tire rule - Google Search
The fronts differ by -4.6% and the rears by -5.4%. This can negatively affect the operation of Traction Control and ABS and other systems that were programmed to work with the OEM size tire/wheel combo.
Since the diameters of the front and rear wheels differ, it could also negatively affect the operation of the AWD system.
But, to each his own. Good luck and hopefully everything works out.

Peter

Will the rotational speed difference front to rear affect the awd system? Usually awd requires the same diameter front and rear.
Yes. When the speedo reads 60 mph, the fronts will actually be at 57.25 and the rears at 56.74 mph.

Peter

Appreciate the commentary, if I throw any codes or my RDU shows signs of premature failure I will be sure to post it here. 900 miles so far, just checking - this is the "modified" forum, correct?

Porsche and BMW and several others disagree, "generally". But seriously, consider mine a test case for the forum then Mbrooks... I will report honestly. This isn't a center diff or viscous transfer case, a <1% circumference difference with this RDU shouldn't be a problem at all. If it is y'all will get my report when the time comes.

Back