My '07 Sport Trac Limited V8 4x4 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My '07 Sport Trac Limited V8 4x4

Just ordered a Kenwood 6960 and it should be here next week. I can't wait to get it installed. I'll follow up the install with a couple pics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ST looks good I like the mods :thumbsup:. Good to hear the old sport is still out there.

Thanks!

I found out a month or so ago that my buddy sold my old X to someone in NY. So I guess I won't be seeing the old girl anymore.

Here are a couple pics showing my LEDs in action.

c79178c6.png

b0b2a908.png

Willied... Nope, you're right. Those are switchback LEDs. They are normally white, but when the turn signal is on they blink yellow.

Did you have to install a resistor?
Did it cause any issues with the message board about the turn signals? I hear that LEDs cause the message board to alert that the lights are not working or something?

Or was it just plug in and forget about it?

For most of the LED mods, I didn't need a load resistor. For the front and rear turn signals, it's a different story.

I learned in the past (I think models prior to '07, but I might be wrong), you could install an LED flasher relay, and it would correct any load issues. Now, the SJB controls the flash rate of the turn signals, so an LED flasher relay won't work. You'll need to install a load resistor for each LED bulb you use. It's a little tedious, but if you like the brightness of LEDs, it's worth the work.

You can read about my install here.

For most of the LED mods, I didn't need a load resistor. For the front and rear turn signals, it's a different story.

I learned in the past (I think models prior to '07, but I might be wrong), you could install an LED flasher relay, and it would correct any load issues. Now, the SJB controls the flash rate of the turn signals, so an LED flasher relay won't work. You'll need to install a load resistor for each LED bulb you use. It's a little tedious, but if you like the brightness of LEDs, it's worth the work.

You can read about my install here.

Wow....a lot of work and splicing wires....I'll pass.

Just thought I'd share - found this while looking for LEDs for other vehicles:

Precision LED Interior Kit - apparently they're tailor made for each vehicle. Does this site's stuff add up Lil98? I did a quick google, but I can't find any forums (for any vehicle) talking about using this site.

Yeah, those look similar to the bulbs I installed, but that kit is rather pricey.

The larger bulbs look like they would be for the dome fixtures, but I would go with bulbs that have at least 16 LED lights. I tried using the 8 LED bulbs in the front, and they just weren't bright enough. The rear dome light fixture only uses one bulb, so I settled on the 8 LED bulb for that location.

Good luck with your decision and be sure to post up pics once you get your LEDs installed.

Do you have any finished product photos of the kenwood? Any reviews you have about how it works/usability?

That looks great! I'll have to keep my eye out for it!

DBVIII... I finally installed my refurb Kenwood 6960 a couple months ago, but I completely forgot about pics. I've got a slow weekend coming up, so I'll try to get a couple up very soon.

So far, the new stereo works great, and I love having an all-in-one radio/nav unit in the dash. Unfortunately, the audiophile in me (a.k.a. stock is never good enough) just can't let go of the way the speakers sound. So, soon after my install, I went out and bought all the equipment required to replace the rest of my system. Bad news is that I don't have a big enough garage or enough 'good weather' days to get it installed, so it all sits in a pile of boxes on my work bench. :(

I do have a question to pose to anyone who's installed an aftermarket system in their Trac ....Has anyone installed a separate EQ for their stereo, and if so, what location did you choose to install it? The beauty of having double DIN dash space in our Tracs is that you could install the EQ below the head unit, but since I went the all-in-one route, I don't have that luxury any more. I've googled this topic quite a bit, but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

IAmTodd... Good to hear from ya. How ya been, and do you happen to have another grill guard to sell me?

Hey man, got a quick question to ask you, and actually need the answer soon. I'm actually going to buy the Kenwood 6960 as well, and just wanted to know if you needed anything special to install it in your ST. I see the dimensions say its a tiny bit smaller than the stock area, so did you need to buy a plate for it? Anything else special needed? Sooner the better!

Do you have any finished product photos of the kenwood? Any reviews you have about how it works/usability?

Overall, I'd give the Kenwood 6960 4 out of 5 stars. One minor, but annoying, detail with this model is the lengthy startup time. I'm used to hearing sound right away after pressing the power button, but not with this stereo. It takes approximately 20 seconds until you hear any music after pressing power. Another minor complaint is the limited sound control. The unit offers the ability to set an EQ curve, but not nearly to the level that I like. I want to have full control over my EQ band levels, and this unit doesn't offer that kind of customizability. I will add an external EQ to compensate for this. The bluetooth discovered my iPhone easily and using it to dial/receive calls is a breeze. The built in Garmin GPS is top notch and works flawlessly. Honestly, I use it more as a secondary speedometer due to the dash speedometer error after I installed my 32s. I got this unit at a great price, and in spite of a coupe minor complaints, I'm very happy with it.

Hey man, got a quick question to ask you, and actually need the answer soon. I'm actually going to buy the Kenwood 6960 as well, and just wanted to know if you needed anything special to install it in your ST. I see the dimensions say its a tiny bit smaller than the stock area, so did you need to buy a plate for it? Anything else special needed? Sooner the better!

Sorry for extremely late reply. I just don't check up as much as I used to.

I went with Crutchfield to make sure I got everything I needed for the install. The head unit adapter they sent worked perfectly. Once assembled, the unit fit like a glove. You'll need to carefully fold the wiring behind the unit, so you don't pinch any wires. I also ordered the steering wheel control adapter, which works great as well. Let me know if you need part numbers, and I'll post them.

Good luck!

Finally installed a K&N intake

Well, after months of putting it off, I finally broke down and purchased/installed a K&N.

I figured it would have gone a little smoother this time since I already had experience dropping one into my previous X, but the job took longer than I thought.

NoIntake.jpg

There's a ton of room after removing the stock intake.

KNInstalled.jpg

K&N install complete.

After a week, I'm around 3 MPGs above where I was with the stock unit, and I can definitely feel her pulling a little more than she used to.

Now on to the next project...

Looks good. I asked in another thread about a K&N and they said it would do basically nothing to MPGs. Of course that's not the case here. My brain is so confused. Oh well...

You have an absolutely gorgeous trac! I love my '07 and can not wait to get my truxxx kit installed! You have the exact setup that I want for my truck, great job man! Here is a shot of mine:

IMG_0059.jpg

eq

DBVIII... I finally installed my refurb Kenwood 6960 a couple months ago, but I completely forgot about pics. I've got a slow weekend coming up, so I'll try to get a couple up very soon.

So far, the new stereo works great, and I love having an all-in-one radio/nav unit in the dash. Unfortunately, the audiophile in me (a.k.a. stock is never good enough) just can't let go of the way the speakers sound. So, soon after my install, I went out and bought all the equipment required to replace the rest of my system. Bad news is that I don't have a big enough garage or enough 'good weather' days to get it installed, so it all sits in a pile of boxes on my work bench. :(

I do have a question to pose to anyone who's installed an aftermarket system in their Trac ....Has anyone installed a separate EQ for their stereo, and if so, what location did you choose to install it? The beauty of having double DIN dash space in our Tracs is that you could install the EQ below the head unit, but since I went the all-in-one route, I don't have that luxury any more. I've googled this topic quite a bit, but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

IAmTodd... Good to hear from ya. How ya been, and do you happen to have another grill guard to sell me?

Eq

Hey, I was just reading your post. I have the same head unit as well. I also added the steering wheel adapter. I did add an EQ and capacitor. I mounted behind the back seat where the stock 8" sub was.

willied... Thanks! +3 MPGs is really nuthin' to write home about, but to me (who was only gettin' around 12 MPG) every little bit helps! I'd like to get rid of those 2 piece plugs for some new 1 piece platinums, so maybe a new plug set will help me with my fuel efficiency.

Blackdiamondtrac... Thanks for commenting. Those Generals look great on a stock Trac. They'll look even better with some lift and new wheels. Good luck on the upgrades and be sure to share some pics.

chowman90... Thanks for the feedback. I was looking into picking up an old Clarion 920 EQ or a Pioneer DEQ 7600, because I'd like to have a display up front. I'm just not sure how to integrate it into the dash without it looking ghetto. The other option is a setup like yours. Do you have any pics of your setup? I'd love to see where you installed your amps and subs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

willied... Thanks! +3 MPGs is really nuthin' to write home about, but to me (who was only gettin' around 12 MPG) every little bit helps! I'd like to get rid of those 2 piece plugs for some new 1 piece platinums, so maybe a new plug set will help me with my fuel efficiency.

3 MPG is really good if you ask me. That would pay off the intake in under a year for me. The guys in the other thread were saying I wouldn't even get an extra MPG from it.

Back