My '07 Sport Trac Limited V8 4x4 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My '07 Sport Trac Limited V8 4x4

Decent fuel mileage is possible with the 4.6 2 wheel drive. My 08 STA will drop down to 18-20 mpg on hilly terrain and some combination driving. If there is a lot of idle time, it will drop quickly. On the highway at 65-70 w/o cruise and level terrain, anywhere from 24-28 usually averaging 26. Please note, it does have a K&N CAI, Gibson 3" exhaust, Zabtech throttle body and 275/55-20 Michelin LTX/MS tires (32").The oversize tires changes the final drive ratio from the 3.55 with stock tires to about 3.31 or thereabouts with the larger diameter Michelins.. I run 36 lbs of air pressure. The speedometer was calibrated for the oversize tires. I also use Valvoline 5-20 full synthetic oil. This vehicle has 30,000 miles on the clock.
I am considering a specialized tune to try and get a little more mpg out of it,but so far I'm pretty satisfied.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's impressive. I get at best 22-23 MPG highway, but mine is stock.

Looks good. I asked in another thread about a K&N and they said it would do basically nothing to MPGs. Of course that's not the case here. My brain is so confused. Oh well...

I was told the same thing. Maybe I will get one then.

Pics of stereo

Here are some picturs of my stereo install.

P4160054.jpg

P4160053.jpg

P4160052.jpg

P4160048.jpg

P4160050.jpg

Thanks for the compliments!

But as most 2nd gen ST owners already know, the custom parts market for us is seriously lacking. .

got that right - i picked up a stock 07'. cant wait to make some mods and make it fit my style. But I am not finding much aftermarket at all -esp. if you want a lift/ jacked up look. about to start fax & email bomb on some companies to get them motivated.

Your lift

Hey I realize this thread is a couple years old but thought I would ask anyway. please explain the details of your Truxxx 2'' lift/level kit. cost, install, how it affects the steering etc. im pretty much wanting the look of my 08 st to match yours. im not doing nearly as many mods as you did but I was thinking of the lift, wheels, tires, and ironan grill. for just those mods what am I looking at cost wise? thanks.

Hey I realize this thread is a couple years old but thought I would ask anyway. please explain the details of your Truxxx 2'' lift/level kit. cost, install, how it affects the steering etc. im pretty much wanting the look of my 08 st to match yours. im not doing nearly as many mods as you did but I was thinking of the lift, wheels, tires, and ironan grill. for just those mods what am I looking at cost wise? thanks.

Ya i have a 07 and just want a lift to fit 32s without any issues. Im curious to cost and install info. I rea somewhere if you call up Truxxx and tell them you want there kit to level out your truck. You can just order the parts for the front an save a couple bucks.

chowman90 Thanks a bunch for those pics of your system. They definitely help me figure out where I can mount my amps and EQ.

tomcatpurr101 Nice Trac! I like the blacked out roof rails too.

efv1980 & FLBoy07 I looked back at some of my receipts, and I could only locate part costs, but I have a rough idea about the labor charges, so here it is...

Suspension mods:
Truxxx lift/level kit ...$283 shipped (I priced this out from their web site today at $348 ...what a difference 3 years makes!)
labor ~$100
Total ~ $400

I'm seriously considering the upper control arms made by BTF Fabrication. The Truxxx lift kit really stiffened up the ride, and the modded control arms would relieve some of the stress that the Truxxx spacers add to the front shocks. I'd also like to see if I can swap out the stock suspension with a set of Rancho Quicklifts to get me some more height.

Tires/wheel mods:
BFG 32" M/Ts ...$760 shipped
Mamba wheels ...$635 shipped
TPS kit ....$60 shipped
Labor ~$125
Total ~ $1600

Keep in mind your local shop labor rates might be different ..esp if you're doing the work yourself. I had most of the work performed at my local Midas shop.

Hope this helps out those who were interested.

what a gorgeous truck! I just bought an 07 and i'm glad you posted which type of lift you went with, very helpful!!

Updates for the Trac

It's been a while since I've posted up a status on my Trac. Here's a list of the things I've been working on since my last update.

1) Replaced the stock battery with a Diehard Platinum.

2) Finally installed the stereo system I purchased a couple years ago and upgraded my old Kenny Nav unit to a newer Nav unit. (details are listed on the first page, and I posted up a few pics in a separate response to this thread.

3) Removed the rear window shade due to the tape failing. The constant wind drag on the shade caused the tape to loosen and eventually fail. It could be that the tape did not fully cure/set, but for now it's laying in the garage. I'm just glad I removed it before it flew off and caused an accident.

4) Replaced the stock plugs with Autolite HTs. FYI... 3 of my plugs seized during the removal process. The local garage had to spring for the removal tool to get them out.

Here's a couple pics of my old plugs...

DSC01050.jpg

Here's what's left of the 3 plugs that seized up...

DSC01051.jpg

5) Replaced the front sway bar links ...twice! The strain of the Truxxx lift caused the first two sets to snap completely apart. I purchased a Moog kit and replaced the kit bolts with some longer pieces of thread-all. Problem solved! Next suspension item will be to upgrade the upper control arms followed by a Rancho Quicklift kit.

6) Replaced my very worn BFG Mud Terrains with a nice set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs (I just posted a new pic on the first page of this thread). The misery of the tire replacement was that the BFGs didn't even last 34,000 miles, and I rotated them every oil change (twice/year).

7) Replaced the fuel filter.

I'm also looking into addressing my rusty tow bar. I'd like to wire brush out the surface rust and then spray it down with some black undercoating. I also have to re-paint the badly faded front grille. All I need is spare time!

Nice update, I look forward to the pictures. Hopefully the Duratracs will last longer.

I cleaned up my hitch receiver last summer. I just used sand paper and matte black paint because that's what I had around. I did a descent job of blending it, but I think a satin or semi-gloss black would match perfectly.

My Stereo System

Well, I wanted to add some pics of my recently installed sound system to this thread, so here we go...

My new (refurbished) head unit. Kenwood DNX890HD. The full rundown of specs can be found here

DNX890HD_Menu.jpg

DNX890HD_Radio.jpg

Sub box (custom built to fit behind the rear passenger seat) w/10" JL subs.

SubBox.jpg

Amps (1kW Kenwood mono sub amp & 300W Alpine 4ch amp) mounted under rear seat.

DSC00645.jpg

I also added a rear view camera (I'll add a couple pics soon).

Great update...I've been contemplating on upgrading my Pioneer Navi to a Kenwood setup. The interface seems a like more to my liking than the Pioneer. You'll have to post a review of the unit for us.

How are you liking the new tires those are what I am looking to replace mine with before winter comes this year. I will be getting smaller tires as mine is not lifted right now. Thinking I might go with a 255/70/17 should fit with out a lift and not rub anywhere I hope?

I am also in the middle of trying to finish my stereo repair from the previous owner. My trac had the factory sub and amp which the last owner tried to "upgrade" with a 12" speaker and cut the factory box apart to fit the speaker in he mounted it to a piece of plywood and was trying to run it off the factory amp. :( I have since got a new speaker, built a box, and a new amp and have been trying to get it all to work just to find out today my level converter does not work.

my box and new 8" sub.
post-10447-0-87063900-1407726633.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ported the box for better sound. The rear seat blocked lots of sound. With the port and a quick tune I got clean bass, with lows and nice hits. I had to adjust the port twice for a clean sound with no port noise.

post-10447-0-93492200-1407942686.jpg

Back