My 1994 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 1994 Explorer XLT

Ok, so i picked this up for 1100 back in september as my first car. I had to pay for it so thats the best i could do in one short summer.

Woods.jpg

dora.jpg

Now i really wanted something to go offroading with so i decided to go with the explorer. I was actually looking at a blazer but it was sold the day before and the guy showed me this. It had 187K and i have it to about 189K now. For all the miles shes been running pretty well. Knock on wood. After i got her i noticed a pretty bad oil leak. I brought her into my auto shop in school and replaced the trans. fluid along with the Diff. fluid. She was shifting a little rough into reverse. I also replaced the front brake pads.

All is well besides the oil leak at that point. I took it out into the woods a few times, nothing too crazy but just a little fun. I went through one mud/water hole after my friend in his lifted 87 blazer...bad idea...and got the water up over my bumpers. Made it out though. Soon after my started died on me in the school parking lot. So me and my friend pushed it to auto and bought a new starter and i replaced it.

Then after a while a replaced the valve cover gaskets and plenum gasket. That stopped the oil leak for the most part. Still have to look around. Then i noticed my anti-freeze leaking in the driveway the other day. Hasnt leaked since so im gunna see what happens. Refilled the bone dry anti freeze resivour(spelling).

I want to run 31" bfg's but i just dont have the money. I have very warn down michelin LTX A/T's now. I also want to lift it about 2 or 3 inches. But again, no money. So im debating whether or not i should paint my wheels black. Is there a cheap way to get an inch to 2 inch lift? I heard something about coil spacers from an f150 or something? And i might ask for one tire from 4 different people for christmas. lol.

Now my brakes are squeaking again, i figure its my rear drums. Gotta take a look at them. And it almost feels as if my transmission isnt catching right away sometimes. Hopefully doesnt get worse.

My suspension is very loose. Very bouncy, so its pretty shot. Although its still holding my truck up so its good. lol.

So if anyone knows of a cheap inch or two lift and/or cheap all terrain tires let me know. Any other off roading tips and cheap upgrades would be amazing. Thanks guys.

Alex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice x u got there alex

Your lift is going to be determined by your cash flow.

Cheap 2" lift for $200----Rear shackles from warn $80, or $20 for cheapo's from auto parts store, F-150 coil spacers from Junkyard $20 (estimate), front camber shims $20, alignment $60 to $80.
This will get you all the clearance you need for 31" tires. You need extra clearance for off road.

5.5" font lift kit for $500 on summitracing, amazon, ebay, etc...
You will need to do some modification, either purchase longer arms, or weld a extension on yours.
Rear lift springs for the lift in the back----or---do a spring over axle mod for the rear lift.
Again, some minor welding to relocate the shock mounts to the axle itself.
This will get you up to 35" tires under your rig for some great wheeling.

Once your at that point, you can do a lot more mods for even bigger tires and stronger suspension for some serious wheeling.

:burnout:

That is a nice looking explorer you have there.

I've had some of the same issues with mine which you have had with yours. My tranny is pretty good but needs flushed soon, I also have around 187k miles on my ex.

I've replaced all my brake pads front and back along with new wheel cylinders and one used caliper.

My radiator also leaks, one spot is where the metal lines comes into it at on the drivers side. It's leaking from the radiator in that area and the top plastic end on the passenger side. Mine only leaks when I first start it in the mornings so check yours out as well it may be the same as mine.

As for a cheap lift you can look into a two inch body lift. I would rather use suspension lifts over body lifts but if you want a cheap few inches that may be your best and cheapest route.

You should check out my registry for more information on my explorer. I will be replacing my radiator this month along with ball joints and possibly my fan. Not posted about that problem yet....

nice x u got there alex
Thanks man
Your lift is going to be determined by your cash flow.

Cheap 2" lift for $200----Rear shackles from warn $80, or $20 for cheapo's from auto parts store, F-150 coil spacers from Junkyard $20 (estimate), front camber shims $20, alignment $60 to $80.
This will get you all the clearance you need for 31" tires. You need extra clearance for off road.

5.5" font lift kit for $500 on summitracing, amazon, ebay, etc...
You will need to do some modification, either purchase longer arms, or weld a extension on yours.
Rear lift springs for the lift in the back----or---do a spring over axle mod for the rear lift.
Again, some minor welding to relocate the shock mounts to the axle itself.
This will get you up to 35" tires under your rig for some great wheeling.

Once your at that point, you can do a lot more mods for even bigger tires and stronger suspension for some serious wheeling.
:burnout:
Thanks man! This really helps. I think for now im gunna go with the cheap 200$ lift so i can fit the 31's. With better tires i should be able to do some decent offroading around here. Ive been doing pretty good with my bald AT's and no lift, although i've been staying out of the really big stuff. lol. But that 5.5 inch lift sounds really good when i get some money. Thanks for the info.

That is a nice looking explorer you have there.

I've had some of the same issues with mine which you have had with yours. My tranny is pretty good but needs flushed soon, I also have around 187k miles on my ex.

I've replaced all my brake pads front and back along with new wheel cylinders and one used caliper.

My radiator also leaks, one spot is where the metal lines comes into it at on the drivers side. It's leaking from the radiator in that area and the top plastic end on the passenger side. Mine only leaks when I first start it in the mornings so check yours out as well it may be the same as mine.

As for a cheap lift you can look into a two inch body lift. I would rather use suspension lifts over body lifts but if you want a cheap few inches that may be your best and cheapest route.

You should check out my registry for more information on my explorer. I will be replacing my radiator this month along with ball joints and possibly my fan. Not posted about that problem yet....

Yeah these problems im having seem to be common. My radiator is leaking where yours is on the drivers side. But its not bad and last time i checked hadn't leaked there for a few days. So ill see what happens. Ill definetly check out your registry. Thanks for the heads up!

You can fit 31's at stock ride height from what I've heard but I don't know how well they do when flexing off road. Stock recommended tire size is 235/75R15's which measure in at 29.5 inches but vary from manufacturer.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRA-PA-793/

Does this 3" BL look good for my x? Decently cheap just wondering if itll fit my year/have all the parts.

If that fits ill get those and some used 32" or 33" AT's or MT's. I know ill probably need to trim a little for 33's but hey.

Scratch 33's. Probably 31's or 32's cause i dont want to kill my trany. I dont have enough money for new gears.

PA 853 or 883 for your Body lift. Either of these will give you the drop brackets, steering extension, and the lift pucks. The bumper mount adapters are the only thing different in them.

If you are looking for some cheap tires check out www.treadwright.com they are retreads. Don't be worried about running them though, they hold up good, and DOT approved. Like half the price of new tires, just aren't as pretty.

Ya you can run 31's stock height.
With a 4" lift 33's will squeeze on I believe.
And on 7" lift 35's will squeeze on with some trimming.

I'm personally doing 6" skyjacker lift for $1000, then whatever the price for 33's and rims are.

PA 853 or 883 for your Body lift. Either of these will give you the drop brackets, steering extension, and the lift pucks. The bumper mount adapters are the only thing different in them.
Yeah they look good but there a bit more expensive. The one i posted up works with the first gens and it seems to have everything in it.
If you are looking for some cheap tires check out www.treadwright.com they are retreads. Don't be worried about running them though, they hold up good, and DOT approved. Like half the price of new tires, just aren't as pretty.
Yeah i've looked into them before. I might think about it. How many miles do you usually get out of them? Its either them or the General Grabber AT's. After shipping their about the same price.
Ya you can run 31's stock height.
With a 4" lift 33's will squeeze on I believe.
And on 7" lift 35's will squeeze on with some trimming.

I'm personally doing 6" skyjacker lift for $1000, then whatever the price for 33's and rims are.

Yeah im putting 31's on first then getting the 3 inch body lift. I dont wanna go any bigger because i cant afford new gearing.

I've never run them myself, my Dad got about 40,000 out of his though. Not sure which ones they were though. That was on an older Jeep though, so on a heavier vehicle I would expect less mileage. Plus he drives like an old woman, but I guess you kind of have to with a lifted Jeep and no sway bars, lol.

Very true. lol.

Anyone know where to get F150 coil spacers and rear shackles for the 2" lift? I need an alignment anyway so i might as well do this now. Im gunna go to ford for the coil spacers, anything i should know about them specifically? Like certain years i can only use? Basically any specific details on the 2" lift.

UPDATE! haha finally

Got new tires. My gears are too high at 3.27 for 31's so i bought 30x9.5's Generaly Grabber AT2.

scooz1432

Gunna paint them black this weekend.

Blackwheels.jpg

step1.jpg

Wheels off.
step2.jpg

sand it down
step3.jpg

Sanded
step4.jpg

Primered
Step5.jpg

1st coat
wheels.jpg

Finito.

wheels2.jpg

wheels3.jpg

stockheight.jpg

stock height or

wheels5-1.jpg

Lifted about 2-3 i think. Just a real ****ty MS paint job. Does it look too weird with only 30's or could i get away with it?

Back