My 4.0 Build..... | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 4.0 Build.....

Hey everyone
After a lot of reading and research, I've come up with a list of performance mods I plan to do on my 2001 sport 4.0 SOHC engine. The list is in order. In the end getting all this will take a very long time. With any luck my x will be pretty fast after all this.

Stage 1 Performance
1. Mac CAI Intake Kit (~170) (Complete)

2. Cat-Back Exhaust (Dual) ($300) (Complete)

3. Throttle Body (FRPP 70 mm) (~100) (Completed)

4. Headers-to-Muffler Exhaust (removing two or three cats and replacing with a freeflow) (~$200)

5. Custom Fog-Light Ram-Air Mod (see Jakee's ride) (~$50)

6. SCT X-Calibrator 2 w/ 3 tunes (www.hensonperformance.com) (~$400)

7. MAF Housing (73 mm) (www.zabtech.com) (~$245)

8. Crankshaft Underdrive Pulley (www.hensonperformance.com) (~$255),
Alternator Overdrive Pulley (~35), Water Pump Underdrive Pulley (~85) (www.underdogperformance.com)

9. Headers (www.explorerexpress.com) (~$385)

10. Electric Fan (Flex-a-Lite Black Magic 150) (~$206)

11. Limited Slip Differential

12. 4:10 Gears

You can see this list and pics on my cardomain page (link on my sig)

This list is very splotchy and incomplete. I was hoping to get some feedback on it. What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where is the harmonic balancer on other engines?
What about a lighter water pump pulley? Still not a big issue?

The balancer is bolted to the front of the crankshaft. On these other motors, the drive pulley is not integrated into the balancer but is bolted to it.

The weight difference is insignificant on the water pump pulley.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So is there ANY half-descent reason to get a full set of pulleys instead of just the UD crankshaft?

If you are running into charging issues then running a alternator OD pulley would be neccessary. That is about it though.

Yes - The alt pulley is lighter than stock, but like Aldive said, it's not a big issue. It being lighter is not going to do much, but in theory, you're thinking correctly. It's just so small you won't feel anything and probably won't see a difference on a dyno. In other words, I just replaced the ALT pulley with the "Over-drive" version about a month back, and didn't feel any difference what so ever (In performance that is) However, this did fix my charging issues I ran into. A bunch of people are running just the underdrive crank pulley with no problems at all, but it depends on what you're running. With my e-fan, and that's about all I'm running that's non stock, I needed the overdrive ALT pulley.

The underdrive water pump pulley is supposed to slow your water pump down just a little more. Honestly, I'm not sure how much you get out of this because it's always been on my truck since the crank pulley, and I've never had a problem with it.

All and all, it sounds like you have a good idea what this does for you.

Also, the underdrive crank pulley will give you one of the best "Seat of the pants; I've got more power" feeling you will have as far as bolt-ons.

If I could do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing. I like running all the pulleys.

If you are running into charging issues then running a alternator OD pulley would be neccessary. That is about it though.

Yeah - What he said. ;)

I just found out there is a 1/8 mile track across the river in Phenix City. I'm going to call them soon and see if they are open right now or not. If they are, I'll be taking the exploder there pretty soon.

Alright I've got the money for a tuner. I'm waiting for a used one to come up for sale, just so I can save $100. As soon as one does though... WOOHOO!!!!

Back