My 4.0 Build..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 4.0 Build.....

Hey everyone
After a lot of reading and research, I've come up with a list of performance mods I plan to do on my 2001 sport 4.0 SOHC engine. The list is in order. In the end getting all this will take a very long time. With any luck my x will be pretty fast after all this.

Stage 1 Performance
1. Mac CAI Intake Kit (~170) (Complete)

2. Cat-Back Exhaust (Dual) ($300) (Complete)

3. Throttle Body (FRPP 70 mm) (~100) (Completed)

4. Headers-to-Muffler Exhaust (removing two or three cats and replacing with a freeflow) (~$200)

5. Custom Fog-Light Ram-Air Mod (see Jakee's ride) (~$50)

6. SCT X-Calibrator 2 w/ 3 tunes (www.hensonperformance.com) (~$400)

7. MAF Housing (73 mm) (www.zabtech.com) (~$245)

8. Crankshaft Underdrive Pulley (www.hensonperformance.com) (~$255),
Alternator Overdrive Pulley (~35), Water Pump Underdrive Pulley (~85) (www.underdogperformance.com)

9. Headers (www.explorerexpress.com) (~$385)

10. Electric Fan (Flex-a-Lite Black Magic 150) (~$206)

11. Limited Slip Differential

12. 4:10 Gears

You can see this list and pics on my cardomain page (link on my sig)

This list is very splotchy and incomplete. I was hoping to get some feedback on it. What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

C&L 73MM housing for the MAF. Get this from Hensonperfomance.

70MM Mac TB. Talk to Hensonperformance. He'll lead you in the right direction.

One thing that's going to give you an advantage over other x's, is the weight of your sport. It's lighter than the 4 doors. So, with that said, you'll see V8 4 door explorers with a bunch of mods, and you'll actually be quicker with the same mods for the 4.0 SOHC. It's possible to get your truck into the 14's with these mods. Now, that may not sound real fast, but for a naturally aspirated explorer, that's very good. The key here for you and me is the weight of our trucks. We have an advantage.

With that being said, the recipe for the fastest explorer in the world is???

A sport with a v8, modded and boosted to the max. The only reason I say the v8, is because there are more mods, for cheaper.

On the other hand, I think Hensonperformance has proved that a v6 ex can almost take the record. In my eyes, it could IF there was a built 4.0 SOHC with let's say 16 LBS of boost. I think even ROCKET (Robert) would have a problem with this...

I have a Magnaflow single inlet dual outlet muffler used for sell. Look in the explorerforum vendors section here. You will see I have 3 of the 3 things you need also used in good condition. Thanks-J

BTW- I can supply you with everything you haven't purchased on your list. Unless you are just having a want to for the gears I have always run the 3:73's in mine. Thanks-J

You will like this addation; I sure did ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139454&highlight=mustang ).

Further, you can have this TB ported and "shafted" for even better results. I am very pleased with this mod ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172480 ).

I like the idea of getting my TB ported and shafted. For $200 correct?
If I understand this correctly, I would send my TB off to someone (Todd Zabbia, with any luck) and he would widen the chamber as well as skinny up the butterfly valve. What I don't understand is how he matches the butterfly valve to the newly widened chamber. Seems like there would be an empty space around the butterfly valve.

It will be better to get the stock 70MM tb installed first. After a successful install, you could then do the porting thing to the TB at a later date. The reason I say this is because going from 65MM to 70MM is a good jump already. Getting the thing ported will give you better throttle responce, but I'm not sold it will do anything at WOT. Just a suggestion.

It will be better to get the stock 70MM tb installed first. After a successful install, you could then do the porting thing to the TB at a later date. The reason I say this is because going from 65MM to 70MM is a good jump already. Getting the thing ported will give you better throttle responce, but I'm not sold it will do anything at WOT. Just a suggestion.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

Could I beat a 2005ish v8 envoy denali with ~300hp in a drag race at my current stage of performance (including new TB)? My friend and I want to race but I want to see what I'm getting into first.

Also earlier I was thinking would it be cheaper to swap my rear end axle (Code 46) with a compatible 4:10 LS diff rear axle (Code D2)? I would buy it used. How much do you think one used would go for?

I can't find much on the envoy but I did find it weighs 4600 lbs. With 300 HP (@ the crank) and weighing that much, it shouldn't be all that fast.

One interesting thing to note is that this throttle body is powdercoated black. I had a Mustang customer come in and wanted a 75MM t/b. I sold him one and when he pulled this one off it was powdercoated black. I was going to use it on my truck but didn't have time to pull mine off and install the powdercoated 70MM, I sold this one too soon. Oh well. I am going to get Jon to powdercoat mine when he does my hot side of the exhaust.-J

On the other hand, I think Hensonperformance has proved that a v6 ex can almost take the record. In my eyes, it could IF there was a built 4.0 SOHC with let's say 16 LBS of boost. I think even ROCKET (Robert) would have a problem with this...

Ask me that question next year. I might have something more up my sleeve; to the tune to 300-400 additional rwhp.

You gonna cut the top off? ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back