My 5.4L 3v Adrenalin engine swap | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 5.4L 3v Adrenalin engine swap

Ouch

Are the cylinder walls good enough for an overbore? Maybe a set of forged pistons are in your future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

subscribing

Subscribing to see, but I still think the 4.6 would have been better. H/C/I/tune and mild stall converter on the 4.6 would have you putting a solid 350HP at the tire N/A. You could be running in the 13's easy. If you had a 4.0 V6, then I could understand the swap better. I just feel too many people discredit the 4.6.

Good luck and I hope it works out. I'll be looking forward to the burnout pics:)

IMHO, there is no substitute for cubic inches. More = better.

Subscribing to see, but I still think the 4.6 would have been better. H/C/I/tune and mild stall converter on the 4.6 would have you putting a solid 350HP at the tire N/A. You could be running in the 13's easy. If you had a 4.0 V6, then I could understand the swap better. I just feel too many people discredit the 4.6.

Good luck and I hope it works out. I'll be looking forward to the burnout pics:)

H/C/I on a 4.6 3v is a big expensive upgrade. Heads alone are over $2000. That concept works great on the old 5.0's and the 4.6 2v but dollar for dollar, its more expensive.

People always concentrate on the HP numbers and overlook good ole fashioned Torque from a bigger displacement engine. This will be similar to how the Lightnings make power, with bigger torque numbers than horsepower. My 02 Lightning with a few upgrades, made 400 rwhp and 500 rwtq. That's with a stock 2v motor, stock cams. The 3v head will outflow those numbers, and should make even bigger numbers with similar upgrades.

Going with a 4.6 sure would be easier, but it wouldn't make the truck the baddest **** around. LOL I'm going for the Bad **** Effect (BME we'll call it).

Sticking to my guns... 5.4 3v motor with a twin screw and a cam change. Just got to re-route my plan for achieving it now. :cool: Keeping the intake height under the stock hood will be the biggest challenge I think.

Because you mention that you are are going to due a full bottom end(forged?) with a kenne bell, the tranny and drivetrain will be holding on by a thread. I know you have given this a lot of thought, but it will not be any cheaper than working the 4.6 over. I am not sure what your goals are, but it seems you want to not only pull the mustang to the track, you want to beat it down the quarter as well:)

If and when you get it finished, it will be a beast for sure. Good luck!

haha just go old school 5.0 it will solve all your problems. less money, more parts available, and some really good tyranny's available and the uniqueness. But I know its to different. But in the real world i would just go with the low end torque of the 5.4. And towing the stang your going to need that low end torque more than anything.

I thought I'd share some updates to my 5.4L Adrenalin project. I've been slowly collecting parts and doing my research.

I bought a brand new Ford Racing 5.4 block as a foundation. Just need to stuff it with forged Manley pistons and rods coming soon.

The heads were damaged on my F150 donor engine, so I'm sending them off to Fox Lake Racing for a full port job. I've worked with Fox Lake in the past and they do some seriously quality work on heads. I had planned to keep stock heads, but I might as well spend the money now and get it done right.

Picked me up some stage 2 Comp Cams and new stronger valve springs.

Painted my spare valve covers, with hi-temp engine paint and cleared them.

Waiting on the wallet to recover before I can purchase the rest. Then it's assembly time!! The real piece of art will be the hardest on the ole wallet…. The 2.3 Whipple that's going to be sitting on top. Shootin' for 550-600 at the tires!!

I'm so pumped about this project, I can't sleep without crunching compression ratios and piston-to-wall clearances in my head.

new54block.jpg

redcovers.jpg

Fricken sweet... :thumbsup:

don't know if this will help any or not, but here it goes....

On the pics of the original 5.4 you picked up. I noticed the coil packs. I had that same engine in my old 02 F-150.... One of the lobes on the coil packs cracked over time and vibrated the spark plug out of the head.... Ended up causing all sorts of damage to the head. Couldn't be helicoiled. Had to get a new head installed on it.

That's just an FYI/Heads up. Something to keep your eye on... I noticed ford changed the design on the coil packs on my 06 F250 with the 5.4.

Great Build and good luck with it....

Oh and is that chevy red you painted those valve covers... :(

Nope.... They're Ford Sport Trac Adrenalin Red. :D My ST is red.

Yeah... I saw that in the pic... I was just bustin stones... :D

IMHO, there is no substitute for cubic inches. More = better.

As the saying goes:

There's no replacement for displacement. :D

Sweet project! Interested to see how all that stuff fits under the hood.

Any news on the swap.

Yep. The 3v CP Pistons arrived. 8.3cc dish. They are a work of art.

Still waiting on funds to allow the rest of the engine build to happen. Wallet got drained when the tranny went out in the Mustang. Doh!

And I went ahead and put on the painted valve covers to keep me happy in the mean time. See other thread here for the photos.

Yep. The 3v CP Pistons arrived. 8.3cc dish. They are a work of art.

Still waiting on funds to allow the rest of the engine build to happen. Wallet got drained when the tranny went out in the Mustang. Doh!

And I went ahead and put on the painted valve covers to keep me happy in the mean time. See other thread here for the photos.

What tranny do you have in the stang?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What tranny do you have in the stang?
It's the original T45. But 3rd gear is almost gone. I think it's a bad shift fork.

I'm swapping in a T56 6spd from a Cobra. Still have to find a crossmember, shifter, etc.

Back