• Register Today It's free!

My 88BII project

copter

Reaction score
City, State
Thunder Bay
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 BroncoII
My 88BII project small progress gas tank in....

88 Bronc II .I had no big plans for it at the time.The scrapyard had 3 or 4 parts rigs so i ventured down to see what i could salvage.Originally had the round headlights but i didn't like them so i pulled the front end off an 89 BII and switched over to the explorer style headlights.Took the hood fenders bumpers etc.Original 88 rad cradle had to be modified to accept the explorer style headlight bezel's etc.Of course the rad cradle was rotted so it needed to be repaired.Lotsa body rust to fix.I decided one day i was going to change the shocks and leaf springs get rid of the saggy rear end.During this process i looked up underneath and thought ..why not drop the fuel tank and repair the rusted seams above it and maybe clean up the tank.....well after hitting the tank with the sand blaster i blew a hole right through it...too rusted.So the i decided i was going to remove the body clean up the underbody of the BII and paint the frame.....hell may as well do the engine swap and axle swap while i'm at....so after 2 years of procrastinating i finally got back into yesterday..........

Rad cradle fix....
bii88001.jpg

bii88007.jpg

After the headlight/front end chage..
bronco288001-1.jpg

Body off frame...
broncofirewall002.jpg

new shocks coils dana 35 front end painted cleaned up...

bronco001.jpg

Inside dash up under passenger side..
phone1042.jpg

firewall fix and changes to accept explorer steering wheel column...
bchalloween003.jpg

bchalloween005.jpg

bchalloween002.jpg

bchalloween025-1.jpg

bchalloween024.jpg

4.0 Liter sitting in frame..
DSC_0012.jpg

All i got for now tons more to do today i will put on new gas tank and hopefully transfer case and get 8.8 under the frame.Body in background under portable garage.Need body back on so i can install ex dash finish repairs inside under dash and 10 million other things.
bronco3016.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very very cool project. Are you going with the X brake booster also. When I changed mine to a 97 I had to redrill the firewall which had an aluminum plate on cab side. If so, this would be a good time. Then again mine is an 84 and I don't know about an 89 booster.
Did you check the area directly behind the firewall where the fresh air duct is located for crap such as leaves that come through the louvers below windshield?
Same area where the windshield arms are, but at the extreme ends. Sometimes you'd be surprised what you'll find.

wow. thats a lot of work. i'm watching this now. oh, and welcome aboard fellow canuck.

Very very cool project. Are you going with the X brake booster also. When I changed mine to a 97 I had to redrill the firewall which had an aluminum plate on cab side. If so, this would be a good time. Then again mine is an 84 and I don't know about an 89 booster.
Did you check the area directly behind the firewall where the fresh air duct is located for crap such as leaves that come through the louvers below windshield?
Same area where the windshield arms are, but at the extreme ends. Sometimes you'd be surprised what you'll find.

Yes Rookie booster lines up already test fitted that when i test fitted the column..Also got the crap all out of ther louvres.Still have lots of patching to do inside under dash etc amazing how rusted out they get.

worked on repairing gas tank skid plate...

cut out all the bad rust...then cut some more....
bronco3011.jpg

filled in the holes.......
bronco3013.jpg

should drain a little better now.
paint tommorrow this took up most of my day...
and paint............
bronco3014.jpg

gas tank and guard mounted

Well finnally got around to mounting gas tank and guard waiting on a new sending unit unit plug i ordered am going to mount an explorer fuel pump on sending unit and only run the one pump using all the explorer wiring from frame up.
broncogastank003.jpg

broncogastank002.jpg

Back