My first explorer mod

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
I just ordered myself a billet grille for my 05 X. Its just the upper one. I'll be ordering the bumper insert in the next week. I bought it at a cheap price, for anyone who is looking for a billet Grille here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230498517564&viewitem=
For The bumper insert:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILL...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35a5cc0686

--I'll post some pictures as soon as I install it. I hope to get it by wednesday, since it is coming out of california. I wanted the black billet grille, but I was able to get a bargain price on this one.
--And I was wondering, how do you install the bumper insert?
--Also, maybe it will turn black after it is "sand blasted" after years of driving, like my 98's grille, except that turned tan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I might be getting one of those, just if I get it it will be the 4-piece. However, I prefer the ones with the ford emblem, I just like for it to have that identity piece. Before I go and buy that stuff, I have some of the mesh screening from one of the old school satellite things. I have been trying to cut out some of that in the shape of the lower bumper inserts, because I don't have fogs and one of them is broken, and it is actually really hard to get it the right size. I don't even know what I am talking about anymore...

Back on the topic, I am glad to see that you are out there modding already after you just got your new truck! Be sure to post pictures when you get done!

I might be getting one of those, just if I get it it will be the 4-piece. However, I prefer the ones with the ford emblem, I just like for it to have that identity piece. Before I go and buy that stuff, I have some of the mesh screening from one of the old school satellite things. I have been trying to cut out some of that in the shape of the lower bumper inserts, because I don't have fogs and one of them is broken, and it is actually really hard to get it the right size. I don't even know what I am talking about anymore...

Back on the topic, I am glad to see that you are out there modding already after you just got your new truck! Be sure to post pictures when you get done!

I know where you can get a mesh instert. I was thinking of one of those...here's the link;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GXT-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255bcff12c

Yep, It looks exactly like that, only black. I just thought I would save myself 50 bucks and use up some scrap metal laying around the shop. I almost had the first one done before I left town the other day, I was down to the final trimming to make it fit, when I realized that I had the grain wrong! *Facepalm* Oh well, I'll try again when I get back Wednesday.

Post a picture fo your grille when you get it done, I'd like to see how it looks.

alright, it might be a little while, since I won't be able to start on it until Wednesday, but I will get one insert made and post it up.

image removed
Here's the finished product. :)
Should I get the lower insert? I'm inclined to say it looks good the way it is.

lower insert for sure, makes for a complete look...

It'd be nice if i was good at photoshop...then I could preview how it would look.

I like how it looks you got me wanting a deal on a grill now I'm looking for a flat black mesh grill not a huge fan of billet but I like the white pulls it off real well man.

I like how it looks you got me wanting a deal on a grill now I'm looking for a flat black mesh grill not a huge fan of billet but I like the white pulls it off real well man.

Thanks. The grille is a polished front, so its not chrome, which I like. The next best thing about it is the black looks good against that white/polished surface. Basically its just a black powdercoated billet grille with the polished front. I was going to buy a black grill, but I got this one for $25. I'm probably going to get the lower, which is $15. Its the same as all the other billet grilles, but this seller sells them dirt cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid=6950081733858142052

Theres a mesh grille...It says mesh billet grille, I don't know why. This is the closest, I could find, to a flat black mesh grille. But first off-this is an overlay, not a replacement.
Says in the description you can get it powdercoated black or gloss black.

I saw that one too I like it allot I just dont know if that is an upper or lower or both? Is there any disadvantage to an overlay rather than a replacement?

that is the upper, the lower would be the grille to go in the opening between the foglights. The overlays should be easier to put on and cheaper, don't know of any disadvantages. My problem is that I don't have the foglights, so I would need all four pieces. I made up one of them last night, need to trim it down, straighten it up, and repaint tonight, and I might have to wait until tomorrow to take a good picture in the daylight.

I plan on installing lights on the brush guard so I should be ok with that. Yea I just wasn't so sure because in the ebay link it had both of the mesh pieces on the truck

oh, sorry, I didn't even look at the ebay page. But yeah, that's why I am not so upset about not having foglights, I plan on getting a push bar and putting some on it, eventually.

went back and looked at the ebay page, and it does include an upper and lower, just not the two for the fogs. I don't want to cover up my grille at this point, so I am thinking about just doing the three lower inserts. Should be done with the first piece tonight and post tomorrow! I think I said that before...

I am actually looking at some bigger fogs maybe something give myself a little unique look you know so those 2 pieces are perfect i should jump on that grill insert then and get it in black.

I saw that one too I like it allot I just dont know if that is an upper or lower or both? Is there any disadvantage to an overlay rather than a replacement?

Its a 2pc so I'd assume its both upper and lower. Theres not too much disadvantage on the overlay, its just the replacement you remove the old grille this one you just lay it over. Its a matter of preference.
That explorer just has no fog lights, so it looks slightly different from others, but its the same 2pc kit for either.

I think Im gonna have to jump on that even if i don't use it forever I think it looks awesome.

I think Im gonna have to jump on that even if i don't use it forever I think it looks awesome.
-If you get that grille and when you put it on post a picture here, or in the 3rd gen pics (that'd be the better place for a picture)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243184
-I ordered the 2nd piece (lower billet piece) for my X. I should get that Monday. When I get that on and get some pics up. I was going to purchase that, but I liked the billet slightly more. It actually would have been cheaper to buy that....lol...oh well. Still the pieces I bought are cheaper than the other 2pcs billet grilles I've seen.
-I didn't read the description well...you can get it in a flat black color.
-Another question on my 05 X, Fog light billet grille inserts? But for now I've bought all the billet grilles I want for a while...maybe for my 98 X. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I personally like the look of the fog light housings but like I said one day if I find the right lenses I want it to take up that entire area with a big fog.

Back