• Register Today It's free!

My FX4 Level II 5.0L V8 swap

rwenzing

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Ranger FX4 LII 5.0 S/C
Explorer 5.0L, 4R70W transmission and BW4406 manual transfer case, fresh from the junkyard:

Parts_run_004.jpg

On the stand:

progress_001.jpg

Dropping it in:

V8_dropping_in_012.jpg

Completed engine bay:

V8_engine_bay_4.jpg

V8_engine_bay_5.jpg

V8_engine_bay_lg.jpg

Ranger transfer case shifter on modified F150 linkage:

trans_transfer_case_008.jpg

Explorer 4R70W transmission with F150 BW4406 transfer case and F150 front driveshaft:

trans_transfer_case_016.jpg

Torque Monster Header, passenger side:

V8_headers_009.jpg

Transfer case shifter and Explorer Center Console:

Explorer_console_003_sm.jpg

Explorer EATC climate control and trip computer:

center_dash_004.jpg

2006_corners_truck_view.jpg

Updated truck specs

Ranger/BW4406 transfer case thread

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...holy crop, lol...i was wondering why you had been quiet for so long...:scratch:
...keep us updated on the vitals...:popcorn:

...i must add, this is a perfect vehicle, with the huge list of all your other mods, to be added in my opinion, for nomination to the truck of the month...:D

especially with the added 5.0...what else is left that can be done ??? :scratch:

Bob, very nice, well done. Now tell me that you have the hood which I want, you've got all of the rest. Regards,

I am curious to see how well the 4406 t case fits under your truck, any pictures of that?

Ford should be watching, beautiful truck!

Was it a SOHC before?

Holy crap. You're my hero. I bet that V8 in the Ranger hauls serious buns.

Todd had the 302/AWD in his Ranger Splash and test fitted the 4406. From him I gather that the frames are basically the same in the front half.

I am curious to see how well the 4406 t case fits under your truck, any pictures of that?

Ford should be watching, beautiful truck!

Was it a SOHC before?
The transfer case is a tight fit becase that part of the Ranger ladder frame is narrower than a Gen2 Ex. More info here.

Yes, it was 4.0 SOHC.

Dual exhaust pics

Torque Monster headers:

V8_header_torque_monster_LH_installed.jpg

V8_header_torque_monster_RH_installed.jpg

The Explorer dual pipes and cats are a very tight squeeze between the BW 4406 t-case and the narrower Ranger frame. It took a considerable amount of repositioning to get it all in there.

V8_exhaust_flex_couplings.jpg

The muffler is a large dual in/dual out Magnaflow. It has an internal crossover, similar in function to an X-pipe.

magnaflow_sm.jpg

I welded a small 'skid plate' between the bottom pipe and the front of the muffler to help protect the lower leading edge.

Magnaflow_skid_sm.jpg

Dual 2 1/4" pipes exit under the bumper.

V8_Exhaust_oulet_left_sm.jpg

Overall, the system is very quiet in the cab but still makes nice V8 music.

How is the power gain compared to the SOHC? I mean I know what A V8 feels like and the torque it puts down and how nice the 4r70w is compared to the V6 transmissions, but I am just wondering, compared to the SOHC is it a big change? (Might help people in the future who are considering this conversion)

How much did you spend?

I came close to $6500 with my BII conversion, but that includes $1500 for the 98 donor drivetrain, a $550 Advace Adapter, $750 transmission rebuild, and a $500 radiator....

How is the power gain compared to the SOHC? I mean I know what A V8 feels like and the torque it puts down and how nice the 4r70w is compared to the V6 transmissions, but I am just wondering, compared to the SOHC is it a big change? (Might help people in the future who are considering this conversion)

How much did you spend?
As you might expect, it is much more noticeable in the low and midrange. A stock 4.0 SOHC and a stock 5.0L make similar peak horsepower numbers but the 5.0 makes 50 lb-ft more at the torque peak. The Torque Monster Headers should shift things even more in in favor of the V8. The best feature of the new powertrain is that nice torquey feeling that I've always felt was lacking with the 4.0L.

I really can't do an acceleration comparison because the shift schedule is not optimal. The last thing to finish up on the swap is the VSS and I am waiting on a replacement Explorer 4WABS module. Once the PCM has the VSS input (next week), shifting should be improved. All I can say at this point is that the V8 is quicker.

I haven't kept a running tally on parts - probably a couple of grand or so. The major components were cheap used stuff from eBay but the dealer sold me a ton of smaller items to complete the swap. That's where a good portion of the expense comes in. If I were to do it over, I would do whatever it took to work from a complete Explorer donor truck instead of putting it together piecemeal. The plan now is to sell off the leftover Ranger stuff to recoup some of the cost of the swap.

All labor was done by me except for shortening/balancing the rear driveshaft. (I wasn't able to find a convenient bolt-in shaft of the correct length for the BW4406 like the 5.0 Explorer guys did.) So my total out-of-pocket cost for labor was about $100.

Sweet, sounds familiar!
I learned long ago to get all the parts you need from one truck, IE buy the entire donor, luckily I wrecked a 96 Explorer (not lucky) and had it for parts, this gave me many of the parts I needed to finish my conversion towards the end instead of hunting them all over town.

If I could do it over again I would only change a couple of things
1. I would use a factory style radiator and modify the truck to suit a bit more. Likely use a skid steer radiator so replacing = cheap

2. I would not use the AA adapter for the 1354 t case, I would have stuffed a 4406 under my BII even if it meant floor mods
Possibly use cheaper adapter to run a twin stick Dana 20

3. I would have put a cam and rollers into the block before installing it, jut because the power gains are sick on this engine for the $$$ spent.

But its okay because I plan to just go w/ Atlas T case, I also will remove my factory GT-40p block someday in favor of a built SB 331 (most likely) :)

Nice work, drool all over your ranger! lets race!!! Oh wait I need smaller tires first.....

Sweet... You want to come do my Ranger (97) :)

Very well done Bob, there's a ton of work there I know. I also like that added muffler skid plate. I plan for two long mufflers, so being on there side I may consider that idea also. Regards,

Bob,

You've really done a great job. Let us all know how the performance is within a week or so. I'd be very interested.

Torque Monster Headers give an increase of 20+ hp and 30+ tq over stock 5.0 V8 Explorer manifolds. They also drop the torque curve a little lower, meaning torque comes on a little sooner. These stats are according to our tests done during development. Also, don't be afraid to set your shift points up around 5,250-5,500.

Coupled with everything collectively done, you've built yourself a real Torque Monster out of that Ranger!

All the Best,

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers

Update:

I evacuated and recharged the A/C and changed the trans fluid. The speedometer is now working through a 2001 2WD GEM module. It's no Mustang but it runs pretty strong for a 4500 lb 4x4 with a nearly stock 5.0L engine/trans.

heck yes, my BII scoots right along even with 35" tires...the 5.0L is no slouch.
Now get yourself some TM headers :)

I am planning a 331 for my BII and a modded 4r70w....as soon as I hit lotto!!

Your truck is gorgeous, you should be very proud :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Ranger now has a set of engine ID badges. I decided to go "old school" and use 302's instead of 5.0L's. These are actually Camaro 302 emblems from a '68 Z28 but I think they are a nice fit on the Ranger's hood.

wYHRiaAFYb6u9f5ks_2zSk7Ov13I1DkIYck1zkjVuQit0Z0wT9QW7DxP3txAG5KzbUH2Z0YQPIv-W2FbOGkBaySReXTZiXDrza0_piruRFU

Tg69WmELYSEFjRVjPuS0kNCwmkQGIZAhm3xmX5KAo5EMNvJDaWlzz3kkiBo-np5uK-Hp0E6yQOUJck3WtBQPwfXXqUka1es60oJNsb3XALx5z2jEcT6VDEEeTtrZnwaZ

Back