My Mounty Build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Mounty Build

Well I finally got some work done. I had already done the 4406 swap, thanks to everyone that put the research time in to doing this. All the photos and detail instructions were very helpful. Since then I built some shackels, got the TT done. Went today and got my new 31's put on. Winch came in yesterday, got to figure out if i'm going to make a front bumper or just make a mounting plate. Then roof cage and tire carrier. All and all things going pretty well. Now a couple of pics, :D
IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

Ill post more as soon as I get more done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Decided to use the day at work to get some more done to the Mounty. Shhhh!!! dont tell my boss tho. HAHA

Got all new brakes, rotors, and front shocks. No one in town had any for the rear, so I ordered some. They should be in tomorrow. Plan on getting them on after work.
IMG_0086.jpg

This is what the E-Brakes looked like, pretty sure they are the original ones
IMG_0085.jpg

Heres a couple of the new tires
IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

Spent some time planning out the winch mount. Still not sure which way I am going to go. Thought about building a whole new bumper, but I like the stock looks.

Only other thing is a set of sliders. Probably start on those next week. Perfect way to try out my new welder!!

Took off the running boards yesterday, discovered some cancer in to rockers. Ill be using some of my body work skills in the next couple of days. Goin to make patch panels myself. Much cheaper than buyin them. Post some pics later.
Also ordered a front bumper today. Its for a Jeep, but wont be hard to modify it to fit the truck. Its from a company called Metal Cloak. Check em out at metalcloak.com Ill post pics as soon as it comes in.

Had the day off for a change, so I took advantage and gave the truck some MIG radiation theropy to cure its cancer.
What I started with
IMG_0089.jpg

A little sheet metal.
IMG_0090.jpg

And after a couple of hours, bondo, and Dupla Color Bed Armor
IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

nice mounty

Wish I had you around for body work help. I wouldn't be so terrified of it then, hahaha.

Nice work.

Checked out that metalcloak website. Which bumper model did you actually get?

What brand did you settle on for a roof rack?

Been awhile, but I have managed to get the new bumper and winch mounted. Came out pretty good. Goin to add some pieces on the sides. Still not decided on the roof rack.
Mock up
IMG_0099.jpg

Finished product
IMG_0100.jpg

I love your bumper as well as your winch. Great Job!

looks good

Well been awhile again, but i have got a little more done. made a radiator protector/skid plate, water deflector for the air box, and storage rack for the back. will post some pics later.
also got to take it out for it maiden voyage this weekend with some friends on a chairity trail ride that a local fire department does every year. mine was the only mounty there, no explorers either. mostly cherokees, but mine was the best looking rig there. course everyone else takes it a little more serious than i do and dont care what theirs looks like afterwards. but we all had a blast. all and all the mounty did great, it handeled everything i decided to put it through with no problems. thanks to everyone's posts on here i have managed to make a great weekend warrior truck. there are a few improvement i would like to make. i will post pics from the ride soon.

Can you please post pics of the mods you did to the bumper, specifically frame attachment points?

Back