My new 32's(on 20's) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My new 32's(on 20's)

here are my new wheel and tires. The wheels are 20x8.5 with +35mm offset. The tires are 275/55/20 Goodyear Wranglers... soon to be replaced with 285/50/20 BFG All Terrain:) The only rubbing issue is on the sway bar at full lock that plagues every Explorer with non-stock wheel/tires. I will get some "before" pictures posted soon.

Attachments

• Picture 096-1.JPG
    Picture 096-1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,390
  • Picture 095-1.JPG
    Picture 095-1.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,493
  • Picture 094-1.JPG
    Picture 094-1.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,329

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like it! Those have got to be hella expensive tires to buy though.

too bling for my tastes

too bling?? I was going for not-so bling. The tire on it now are about $130 each while the BFGs are about $280ish. I just talked to a friend of mine that is sponsored by Toyo Tire, and he said he would get me some Toyo Open Country ATs. THe only size I see they make that is close is a 60 series tire, which would be too tall(33"). If they have them in a 55, I'll be getting those.

So are going for a streeter look or offroad? Im confused.

offroad, but with larger than normal wheels. I have a 32" spare that is going on the rack along with the 6 Hella light I have been too lazy to mount for 6 months now. I am going to face 4 to the front, 2 to the back. I dont think it looks "street" at all... Those tires are pretty big for a streeter, and the lift doesnt help the street image either.

Looks pretty good. IMO, you should throw on a 4" Susp. lift and get those Toyo's. :D (or get a 2-3" BL if you don't wanna drop 2-2.5k ;)) Looks pretty cool though. BTW, what kind of wheels are those? I think I saw them in the local 4x4 shop a few weeks ago.

justin146 said:
offroad, but with larger than normal wheels. I have a 32" spare that is going on the rack along with the 6 Hella light I have been too lazy to mount for 6 months now. I am going to face 4 to the front, 2 to the back. I dont think it looks "street" at all... Those tires are pretty big for a streeter, and the lift doesnt help the street image either.

It looks more for offroad except for the tires. The tires look like they are street tires. Thats why I was asking.

The wheel are RVM brand... the ones that are all over eBay. I paid $650 for the wheels shipped... and the tires were free-soon to be replaced with BFG AT KO or Toyo Open Country AT.I will be doing a body lift, mainly for clearance for my TC swap:)

My opinions on what you should do: Put a 2" body lift on, and get 32" Toyo M/T's. It will blend the street and offroad look perfectly, and look mean as hell.

Ok, this is my opinion. Throw some MT's on there and it will totally change the look of it. Right now it just looks like big street tires.

the only tire size in my mind for offroading that looks right with 20" rims is a minimum of a 44" tall tire... everything else is jsut all show.....

jimabena74 said:
the only tire size in my mind for offroading that looks right with 20" rims is a minimum of a 44" tall tire... everything else is jsut all show.....

I agree 100%. But, I'll admit, I've looked into the 33s that fit on a 20" rim and then decided to go away from it because of the lack of sidewall. I like the big ol meats -- not a low profile look. Just my opinion and taste. Still a good mod for the ones that like it :thumbsup:

-Drew

jimabena74 said:
to add to that, i say you need at least equal to, or more sidewall height than rim diamter..... my truck has 15" rims on it, and 31" tall tires... so that fits my minimum spec... 15" of rim and 16" of tire.... and my rims really need bigger tires... i am just too poor to get 33s

jimabena74 said:

good thing it isn't your truck...and i see trucks with 20's/44's offroading all the time. :rolleyes:

Texplorer said:
Ok, this is my opinion. Throw some MT's on there and it will totally change the look of it. Right now it just looks like big street tires.

Exactly. That's what I was getting at with my previous post. :thumbsup:

well, Toyo's website only lists the Open Country in a 275/60/20, which is too big for my truck. I guess my only option is going to be the BFG, but their 285/50/20 is a little wide... a 275 is pushing it. The perfect size would be a 255/60/20 which to my knowledge doesn't exist. After the body lift, I could probably fit 275/65/20 Goodyear AT/s, which come on the new F-250s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

put on a BL and dont worry about tire size ;)

Back