My second find of the year! How rare is it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My second find of the year! How rare is it?

The Project

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
So browsing one of my local "donate us your car and we will make you think the money is going to a charity auctions" I came across my new find. A Lapis metallic (light blue) 1996 4 door 5 Speed 4x4 Explorer. She had 105,000 miles on her and seemed to run pretty good when they fired her up. I ended up buying it and upon getting her cleaned up a bit and doing a few minor things she seems to be settling in as a great daily driver. My question is this. How many of these 4 door 5 speed 4x4s were produced in 1996? I have done a little browsing on the old e web and cant find much. I would imagine my new driver is most likely one of very few in this color that were produced. I picked up a real nice 94 earlier this year with only 36,000 miles on it and was using it for my driver but I am getting more attached to the 96 daily. Anyways if anyone out there could come up with how many of these they actually made I think it would be kind of cool to know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 5-speed was base equipment for that year (was an option on my 2002), so they're more common than you'd think. I'd say about 80-90% were ordered with the automatic, just from my experience in searching for a used one... either that or only about 80-90% of ones that people were selling were automatic. I sure as hell don't wanna give up mine with the manual.

I only saw one 4-door 4x4 5-speed Explorer and I ended up buying it. They seem really rare. I bet most 5-speeds went into the 2-door body style.

In the junkyards I hit in southern WY and northern CO, automatics are the common. I'll say that maybe, at most, one in ten are autos. Blue 95-01 are not very common either.

Ok last time I try this

Attachments

• ex 96.JPG
    ex 96.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 482
  • ex 96 2.JPG
    ex 96 2.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 423

Nice! I'm diggin the color.

Looks good! Nice looking seats too. Most of them have torn up lumbar cushions.

If only they made the 5.0's with a 5 speed. Looks like a nice truck though OP very clean.

Yea it cleaned up pretty good. Paint needs to be waxed and I had to do a lot to the carpet to get it to clean out. Was a one owner lady driven vehicle. Purchased here in Austin new. Zero rust etc. Been looking for one of these for some time. Wish they made a 5.0 with a 5 speed too but for a daily this thing seems to get pretty good gas mileage. Want to do a lift and a few other things but I may as well get some use out of the 4 new Michelins it came with before I start modifying it

Yea it cleaned up pretty good. Paint needs to be waxed and I had to do a lot to the carpet to get it to clean out. Was a one owner lady driven vehicle. Purchased here in Austin new. Zero rust etc. Been looking for one of these for some time. Wish they made a 5.0 with a 5 speed too but for a daily this thing seems to get pretty good gas mileage. Want to do a lift and a few other things but I may as well get some use out of the 4 new Michelins it came with before I start modifying it

Looks good. I've never seen one in that color. BTW, they do make a 5.0 with a manual transmission... it's called a Mustang.

just put it up for sale in the classifieds. Found a Bronco I wanted more.

I love that color. I had a 2000 Ranger in that same color.

2002fordranger_zpsb95218b7.jpg

We didn't even get the 5.0 Explorer much less a manual.

Thinking I saw you today going down I-35 about 6:45 pm or so. If it was you I was a little ahead of you and you took the Rundberg exit. Man, I wished I needed it because I want it....just don't need it :mad:

Back