Need a refresher course: Bent axle- 8.8 w/detroit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need a refresher course: Bent axle- 8.8 w/detroit

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Ok guys I need a refresher course, it's been so long since I've had to do anything with my 8.8. The passenger side axle is bent, you can see the whole caliper move up and down (kinda funny to watch). So if I remember right it the axle is held in by a clamp correct?

This is pretty easy correct? Meaning a person with decent skill and tools can do this in ther drive way. Is there an upgrade for our axles? Should I upgrade axle/axles? I'm thinging if I replace one side I should replace both sides, whatcha think? I also have a spare 8.8, I believe its 31 splines. Should I sacrafice that diff and pull the axles out of it?

So what are your thoughts, theories, ideas and feedback???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends upon what is bent. If it's only the axleshaft, that's an easy fix. Pull the rear brake caliper off, drop the rear cover, pull the cross shaft out, slide the c-clip out and the axle pulls right out. I'd replace the axle seal while you're at it.

If it's the axle tube bent as well as the axle shaft, then just drop a complete axle assembly in.

It depends upon what is bent. If it's only the axleshaft, that's an easy fix. Pull the rear brake caliper off, drop the rear cover, pull the cross shaft out, slide the c-clip out and the axle pulls right out. I'd replace the axle seal while you're at it.

If it's the axle tube bent as well as the axle shaft, then just drop a complete axle assembly in.

Thank you very much for the quick response. She's got 180K miles on her. No sure how much longer she will last to the cheaper the better.

Anybody else? Colin? Jamie?

Tried to get one from the pick and pull so I don't have to tear apart my spare 8.8. Our axles are 31 splines correct? But some early X's had 28 splines, correct?

99.999% of Explorers came with the 31 spline rear. I've heard that a few of the original '91s (early production models) came with the 28 spline rears, but I've never seen one.

Thanks Carl for the offer.

IZwack thanks for the link. One guy had the theory that it may just be the rim. I'm gonna check that this weekend. Figure its an easy check vs. swaping axles. Not sure how I bent it (if that is the problem). I've had a vibration that I can't get rid of. I know the drive shaft has kissed a few rocks and that may be part of the vibration problem.

I took the X to get smogged and when they started reving it up on the thing-a-mabobber I could see the wheel moving. I looked from the rear of the truck and you could see the whole wheel move along with the caliper. My buddy who is a mechanic said he's never seen the wheel and caliper move so much.

Thanks Draper. That's what I was wanting to hear. I'm gonna have the pick and pull pull one for me. It's only $75 for the rear passenger axle.

Any other ideas other than the rim or the axle???

Thanks!

Swap rims side to side front to back and see

Does the 8.9 leak on that side?

Brett Grooms should have some spare 31 spline shafts hes willing to part with, I can ask him if you dont have his contact info

I have seen alot of bent axleshafts on the drivers side of 8.8's
I'm pretty sure my BII has been running around with one slightly bent for a few years now

If the axle shaft is really bent, then, with the rear wheels up in the air, one wheel should wobble because the wheel is bolted directly to the axle shaft's end.

Swap rims side to side front to back and see

Does the 8.9 leak on that side?

Brett Grooms should have some spare 31 spline shafts hes willing to part with, I can ask him if you dont have his contact info

I have seen alot of bent axleshafts on the drivers side of 8.8's
I'm pretty sure my BII has been running around with one slightly bent for a few years now

Hey Jamie whats up?

I was going to swap the spare tire with the on that wobbles. See any reason why that wouldn't work?

I get water inside??? From where I haven't a clue. It leaks around the diff cover a bit but not the axle seals???

This is the passenger side.

IZwack I did but the wheels up in the air. One side wobbles the other is fine. When moving the wheel back and forth you can feel a little play vs. the drivers side.

If the caliper is wobbling with it, the axleshaft is definitely bent.

If you have a Detroit Locker, you'll have to also pull off the passengerside carrier bearing cap to get the cross shaft bolt out. Just be sure to put it back on EXACTLY the same direction it came off (torque the bolts to 85 ft-lbs).

Got it out and a new one put in. The wobble is gone but I still feel some vibration. Going swap out the drive shaft.

Thanks for the all the advice and imput.

I didn't have to pull the passenger side.

Back