Need Advice on Supercharging | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Advice on Supercharging

Anyone have any experience on supercharging the 5.0L? After all the intake and exhaust work I have done and and tuned by Henson Performance (Thanks
James) my little motor still strains to push 2 plus tons down the road. I guess I should clarify that once I'm up to speed it perfoms great. The engine is strong and the truck will go faster then I care to(again thanks to James at Henson Performance for removing the speed limiter). I'm just looking for more power off the line(Damn Civics) and supercharging seems to me to be the best option. I don't want to tear into the engine (thats for another day). So I thought I would ask you all about doing this. I have been researching and can pick up an Eaton M90(rebuilt) for a decent price but the question I have is since I have the internal EGR is this an option? I have seen the one (weiand?) on explorerexpress and it wont work with the internal EGR and there is no way I could afford the $3800.00 anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Supercharge Info

Hello, I have a extra powerdyne. I have purchased a new one that I used on my 97 5.0 I have a extra powerdyne with all pulleys and attachments, complete with alternator brackets and crank pulleys it has very little useage. I havent advertised yet. Money tight I plan to sell. I put on mine a MSD Booster box and a Bypass valve, Im using a 9Pound pulley on my setup. Ford tells me that if I stick with a 9 pound the bottom end will hold! If interested JR at 281-451-8884 or 4jrfox@lightmortgage.com :exp:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Hello, I have a extra powerdyne. I have purchased a new one that I used on my 97 5.0 I have a extra powerdyne with all pulleys and attachments, complete with alternator brackets and crank pulleys it has very little useage. I havent advertised yet. Money tight I plan to sell. I put on mine a MSD Booster box and a Bypass valve, Im using a 9Pound pulley on my setup. Ford tells me that if I stick with a 9 pound the bottom end will hold! If interested JR at 281-451-8884 or 4jrfox@lightmortgage.com :exp:

I personally dont need another powerdyne. I bought my kit new so I have all the parts. Just having issues with vibration from the harmonic balancer that came with the kit. I have to pull it back off so I can figure out why it's out of balance. My kit has a 6 lb pulley right now. I have thought about a 9 lb pulley and also have a bypass valve ready to go if I go in that direction.

Put it up for sale! I know you would get alot of bites on this forum. Especially if it's a complete kit.

I'm in the process of replacing my intake and exhaust gaskets with something higher quality then what I have. I already have the intake gaskets for my 1" phenolic spacer, but I am unsure which exhaust header gaskets I need. Not sure of the exhuast port size.
I have Percy XX Carbon gaskets ready to install but they might be wrong for my heads. They are for square port 1.650" high by 1.125" wide. Part No. 68014.
They will fit but the other option is the round/oval port 1.500" by 1.125" wide. Also Percy part no. 68018.
I dont want to remove the TMH's untill I have the proper ones and stupid me I trashed the originals without measuring.
So taking in mind I have a '96 302, what size exhaust ports do I have.
Also I e-mailed Bob at TorqueMonster headers about purchasing new header mounting bolt. I figured if I'm going to take them off I would replace the bolts too. Mine are rusting.
But I have'nt got a response.
If there is another bolt I could use I'm all ears.

And by the way my harmonic balancer issue should be resolved next Monday,I hope. I found a machine shop that can balance it. Hopefully that will take care of all the waterpumps I,ve broke this year.

I'm in the process of replacing my intake and exhaust gaskets with something higher quality then what I have. I already have the intake gaskets for my 1" phenolic spacer, but I am unsure which exhaust header gaskets I need. Not sure of the exhuast port size.
I have Percy XX Carbon gaskets ready to install but they might be wrong for my heads. They are for square port 1.650" high by 1.125" wide. Part No. 68014.
They will fit but the other option is the round/oval port 1.500" by 1.125" wide. Also Percy part no. 68018.
I dont want to remove the TMH's untill I have the proper ones and stupid me I trashed the originals without measuring.
So taking in mind I have a '96 302, what size exhaust ports do I have.
Also I e-mailed Bob at TorqueMonster headers about purchasing new header mounting bolt. I figured if I'm going to take them off I would replace the bolts too. Mine are rusting.
But I have'nt got a response.
If there is another bolt I could use I'm all ears.

And by the way my harmonic balancer issue should be resolved next Monday,I hope. I found a machine shop that can balance it. Hopefully that will take care of all the waterpumps I,ve broke this year.

I think I have an extra set of bolts that I had from the first set of TMH that I was sent that had the EGR but sent that back and got an all new kit from Bob when he sent me the non EGR headers. They got maybe a few weeks of use, if you want the bolts just let me know and ill go looking for them and sell them to you for whatever it costs to mail them, I think it would be $4.95 through USPS

-Rich

I think I have an extra set of bolts that I had from the first set of TMH that I was sent that had the EGR but sent that back and got an all new kit from Bob when he sent me the non EGR headers. They got maybe a few weeks of use, if you want the bolts just let me know and ill go looking for them and sell them to you for whatever it costs to mail them, I think it would be $4.95 through USPS

-Rich

If you can find them I will buy them.

Does this include the bolt/stud for the oil dipstick?

Anyone have any info on the exhaust port size?
'96 302 with GT-40 heads.

Those header gaskets will be the same as any 302 stock Mustang, 86-95. That is the standard size ports, they all have the same bolt pattern too. So match the part numbers on line with that, or find any in stock gasket at a parts store.

The aftermarket gaskets will be better than OEM or other stock types. Most prefer a fabric solid type like Mr Gasket or Felpro have. The stuff like copper etc, those seem to do great too but few people go to them or report back. Let us know what you think of those Percy's gaskets.

The real trick is to get the bolts tight, run the engine to operating temps, then re tighten the bolts. Re tighten them again later, 100 miles or a month etc. The gaskets all get thinner over time, that's what makes them leak or blow out.

I've heard good things about the Percy gaskets and I beleive it was on this site. There are 2 options though when pulling up my vehicle on Summit,Jegs,etc. And it has to do with port size. Thats what confuses me. Why they would list 2 different sizes for my make,model,engine size and year.
I dont have any exhaust leaks right now, but I have heard the gaskets that come with the TMH's are not the best quality.
Wish I would of known that during the install. I can let it go as is but fear with boost they could fail.
It's the small things that bite me in the a**.:)

What gaskets are listed for a 1994 Mustang 302? That will be the exact same port sizing and location. Unless one of the choices you have found is radically different in size, they both should fit fine. All of the stock ports are very small, and the gaskets available should fit any stock type head ports. The GT40's or GT40P's have the exact same port locations as other stock 302's, the actual port size might be a hair bigger, under .100" in any direction.

ok so iv never herd is powerdyne befor till like 20 sec. ago so i went the the web sit and i cant get any stats to open up like price and matinance and so on. so i need a little help here

What gaskets are listed for a 1994 Mustang 302? That will be the exact same port sizing and location. Unless one of the choices you have found is radically different in size, they both should fit fine. All of the stock ports are very small, and the gaskets available should fit any stock type head ports. The GT40's or GT40P's have the exact same port locations as other stock 302's, the actual port size might be a hair bigger, under .100" in any direction.

These are the 2 sizes listed for a '96 explorer with a 302:square port 1.650" high by 1.125" wide and round/oval port 1.500" by 1.125" wide. I have the square port gaskets(The first picture) They will fit but the round /oval gaskets have more "meat" on the ends.

Attachments

• 760-68014.jpg
    760-68014.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 823
  • 760-68018.jpg
    760-68018.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 821

1994/1995 Mustang Cobras have GT40 heads. The standard Mustang GTs have E7 heads. You might get a closer match getting the Cobra gaskets.

It is strange as all the gaskets I have ever used are square.

If you can find them I will buy them.

Does this include the bolt/stud for the oil dipstick?
*EDIT*

I was only able to find 3 bolts, the oil stick bolt/stud one and 2 of the regular ones that seem to be slightly different lengths, not sure if some were actually different lengths or maybe there was a difference between the first sets sold and second sets.

Ditto, get the square port gaskets, the other is likely a misprint. If what you have is the square port gasket, it should work.

Got to hate CA and pollution controlled states for that.

Very true, with the right tune by James on here and you should be able to run anything you want. ? I don't know CA laws. Anyways I am curious what the powerdyne can do to.

Very true, with the right tune by James on here and you should be able to run anything you want. ? I don't know CA laws. Anyways I am curious what the powerdyne can do to.

Car has to pass a visual inspection, you could fail just for having the wrong exhaust setup. Theres too much to look in to for smog here.

That sucks Utah does a visual to but its just to look for cats. Even if you hollow them out but "look" like them then you are fine. Haha, it does have to pass emmissions but if it does they leave it like that.

Back