Need front brake specs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need front brake specs

zavetsky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
Hi all...

I have sold my Explorer but am working on cleaning out the garage....

I recently bought a Central digital brake rotor gauge on ebay and I am checking some old rotors from my Explorer.....

The inspection station told me they were scrap -- I had just had them turned and measured a month before, but they told me they were scrap......having no tools to check, I kept the rotors....now that I have the tool to measure, I dont have the service manuals anymore to get the measurement....

I am looking for the front brake rotor minimum thickness measurement for a 1994 Explorer, 4x4....

if someone could dig out their manual and check for me I would really appreciate it! I just want to satisfy myself that they are or are not scrap.....

Thanks!

DZ

Chiltons says .81 inch. But if there's a a minimum stamped into the rotor itself (there should be) that would take precedence.

MrShorty is correct. The minimum thinkness is stamped on the rotor itself... I used to think the minimum thickness was to prevent the caliper from crushing the rotor; but its actually to ensure your rotor has enought thickness to resist warping when heated...

Back