Need help!! 98 Ford explorer 5.0 v8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help!! 98 Ford explorer 5.0 v8

Ethan21

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile al
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ford explorer 5.0 v8
Ok I have a 98 Ford explorer 5.0 v8 runs drives great has 235,000 miles I'm having issues starting every now and then turns over but won't fire up but when it starts it runs great a little while back I had a cel on is off now by itself but it said cam shaft positioning sensor but never could tell a difference in how it was running I like to think I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I've never owned a Ford does anyone have any ideas??

Know your new, but four IDENTICAL threads started in 5 minutes? Key here is posting in the proper sub forum, which is stock 1995-01 (Gen 2), and searching using the words from your thread, "cam shaft position sensor" found six pages of related threads, many specific to your 5.0L V8. Give it a try and GL.

Log in and search "cam shaft position sensor" in the upper right search box below your EF name:
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?forums/stock-1995-2001-explorers.100/

Welcome to the forum. I have moved this thread to the 2nd generation explorer ( 1995-2001 explorer) sub forum for better views.

The cam sensor is a timing trigger for the fuel injectors. It almost works as a distributor for the injectors, so, this may be a lot of your issues. Replacing it can be tricky, so do your reading first. The tool is very important as is getting the #1 piston to true top dead center of the compression stroke. If you have difficulty finding information let us know and we'll help you.

P.S.
I also deleted the other threads in the "under the hood" sub forum. As mentioned earlier, one thread is all that is needed.

Welcome to the forum. I have moved this thread to the 2nd generation explorer ( 1995-2001 explorer) sub forum for better views.

The cam sensor is a timing trigger for the fuel injectors. It almost works as a distributor for the injectors, so, this may be a lot of your issues. Replacing it can be tricky, so do your reading first. The tool is very important as is getting the #1 piston to true top dead center of the compression stroke. If you have difficulty finding information let us know and we'll help you.

P.S.
I also deleted the other threads in the "under the hood" sub forum. As mentioned earlier, one thread is all that is needed.
Yeah sorry about that I was kind of confused on where to post and I didn't mean to post more than one

Back