Need help understanding TPMS

rowekmr

Reaction score
City, State
Chgo, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Limited 4.6 4X4
Hello
Just bought my 4th Explorer a 06 XLT 4.0L 4x4 and the TPMS sensor gave a warning on dash (not the low air light). I took it to Firestone to get 4 new tires and they said one of the sensors was bad and quoted me a price of 200 to fix/replace it. I have been looking and see there is a valve sensor and a banded sensor (I think I have this one). Which parts besides sensor need replacement and can I use aftermarket (Dorman) or should I use OEM parts and what is the approx. price of part. I think they are charging too much but want to confirm this and see what my options are.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Parts for replacement tpms sensor and mounting strap for band style. The stock band style use crimped bands and cannot be reused the replacement ones are super sized screw type hose clamps. I do not know about using aftermarket or ford oem ones except for price . The ones I have been looking at are from tpmsdirect.com sensor costs around $75 and the mounting strap costs $16. Direct from ford the strap costs some where around $60 for one strap, was not very happy when I found out one of the straps had broke. And I can't even imagine the price of the sensor direct from ford.

My opinion on the valve stem type is not really that great from the ones I have delt with they tend to have a slow filling rate when adding air to the tire. And when you get tires replaced they look like they could be broken easier. Going through tpmsdirect for the banded style around $90 for strap and sensor plus the price of getting it put on.

You don't have to buy OEM, most aftermarket sensors will work with the OEM sensors. You don't have to buy a banded sensor. I bought one aftermarket stem mounted sensor (about $30 online) to replace a faulty banded sensor. The tire store put it in for the charge of a mount and balance. I also bought the motorcraft programing tool off amazon for $30 to reprogram them and its easy to do.

Now that is good news! Could you tell me the seller or make of the model you bought (or link)?

Thanks

You don't have to buy OEM, most aftermarket sensors will work with the OEM sensors. You don't have to buy a banded sensor. I bought one aftermarket stem mounted sensor (about $30 online) to replace a faulty banded sensor. The tire store put it in for the charge of a mount and balance. I also bought the motorcraft programing tool off amazon for $30 to reprogram them and its easy to do.

Google Orange electronics. Cant remember the exact number but they have a make and model chart on their website. they will run you between 20 and 30 a piece on ebay, and amazon.

Back