Need help!! Window stuck down!

sed777

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Biotch, Killafornia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XlS
02 explorer...
Rolled passenger window down to wipe fog off before driving to work. Made a slight sand grinding sound, window wont come up. Motor will spin if you go down than up, but window doesnt budge.

Im not sure if its just off track or something broke.

I'm at work (yes i drove on the fwy with my window down) and have limited resources, but i'd like to get the panel off and take a peak. I've never taken the door panel off. are they pins or hooks? do i need to remove the handle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately -

You will need the complete window regulator assembly now.

The same happened on my brother's 04 F150, driver's side window dropped into the door then trying to get it to come back up, the cable got all skewed as well and was making the same "grinding sand" noises.

You can pull the door panel off and then manually grasp the window and pull upwards. Once you get the window above the dew strip, grasp the window with both hands (one of the exterior side of the window, one on the interior side of the window) and push it all the way up to completely close it again. Do not use the pwr window button again, otherwise you're going to get it stuck again (or it will drop into the door cavity). If you need to use the window, manually pull it down, and use the same manner to close again.

The newer pwr window design is retarded - and Ford (or the Contractor who supplied the parts) should have NEVER used PLASTIC rollers or guides for the regulator cable. These guides/rollers are what break, thus causing the window to get stuck, or fall all the way down into the door. The repair is ordering a complete regulator assembly.

Currently no one makes a METAL guide or roller for regulator assemblies in these trucks - and it's only time before the "new" assembly fails again in the same manner as the original.

Dealer cost to fix on an F150 is close to $700 - that's including the cost of the part and the labor for R&Ring. I would suspect the cost for the same fix on an Explorer is close to the same...

sucks

Sigh great...

Found a great thread on replacing the assembly. However, the pasrt is a special order and i wont be able to get it till tomorrow. Will the window stay in place if i manually raise it?

Always with the cheap plastic parts...

These guides/rollers are what break, thus causing the window to get stuck, or fall ...Currently no one makes a METAL guide or roller ...and it's only time before the "new" assembly fails again in the same manner as the original.

There is always a way. The question is how much do you want to pay?

McMaster-Carr

Or

Fastenal

Has anyone done an upgrade with McMaster-Carr parts?

Jim

Window regulator replacement

This happened to me a couple of months ago. It's a pretty easy repair and you can get a Dorman regulator for under a $100. I got mine at the local Advance Auto Parts and it was in stock (I guess it happens pretty frequently).

There's a thread that shows how to do this:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243401&highlight=window+regulator

The existing regulator is riveted to the bottom of the window frame. The thread above shows a way to do it without removing the rivets. When I did it, I just drilled out the rivets in the old regulator and replaced with 1/4-20 nuts and bolts I had on hand. I've done this on other cars over the years and a little Loctite will keep the nuts in place just as securely as the rivets.

The whole thing should not take more than a couple of hours if you've not done it before and no special tools are required. Just lay the new regulator out on the floor to match the way it goes into the door and you shouldn't have any problems.

OK, this happened to my wifes Ex this morning. I noticed the front, passenger side window going up and down in a choppy fashion recently.

When it failed earlier today I could not raise the glass past the half way point either under power or by a hand on each side of the glass (or both). I removed the door panel and saw that the cable was wrapped around the motor's gear box. I had to disconnect the end of the cable at the bottom of the door in order to manually pull the window all the way up.

Please see attached pics.....

Explorerwindowcable.jpg

Explorerwindowcable2.jpg

Thanks for the link Phil.

I purchased a regulator w/ motor made by Dorman. Cost was $59 with free overnight delivery. I couldn't find a better price / delivery combo anywhere.

Vendor is http://www.autopartstomorrow.com.

I'll likely dive in on Saturday.

Ok, here's the scoop....

Dorman part # 741-814 is for the "Front Right" window. In other words, the Front Passenger side. http://www.autopartstomorrow.com/parts/3496557-regulator

Part # 741-813 is for the Front Driver's side window regulator w/ motor.

Additionally, I exchanged Emails with David, from Auto Parts Tomorrow, and he extended a 10% discount code to ExplorerForum members, effective till the end of December. Pretty good if you ask me. The 10% discount code is FORDX
He added, "We have a volume discount that will be online soon also. It will automatically reduce your order total by 1% per $100 up to 10% off. This will be in addition to any coupon codes that you use".

(BTW, I have no affiliation with this business, other than being a new customer.)

Also, perhaps some sort of sticky is warranted so members who are not inclined to read this post can take advantage of the code.

Good to hear Rick & thanks for passing along that info as well!

I've been searching for the parts and part numbers of the window regulators for the rear doors, left specifically. Anyone have these?

Jim

I've been searching for the parts and part numbers of the window regulators for the rear doors, left specifically. Anyone have these?

Jim

It appears that the Dorman part #s are 748-507 for Rear Passenger side and 748-506 is for Rear Driver side. Both are Regulators w/ motor.

Best if you call when ordering to verify.

Additionally, I exchanged Emails with David, from Auto Parts Tomorrow, and he extended a 10% discount code to ExplorerForum members, effective till the end of December. Pretty good if you ask me. The 10% discount code is FORDX

Any new code?

Mine just broke. Glad i remember seeing this thread!! Auto Parts Tomorrow is out of stock so now i have to decide if saving the $30 bucks is worth the wait or just go ahead and pick it up from Advanced

Sorry to hear that Todd. Did it give you any warning at all? I'm trying to figure out what to look for to head this off, if possible.

Anyone have any preventitive tips? Anything to lube?

My windows have a tendency to freeze in the track overnight when we have the cold temps and high humidity. It takes several attempts to get them to move at all and it's usually only after the cabin has started to warm. It seems this would put a lot of stress on what's proving to be a delicate window regulator. Any suggestions on what could be put on the window or in the tracks to keep them from freezing together? RainEx, spray silicone?

Any grease you lube the window rails with likely won't freeze. White lithium would probably do well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my rear driver side just went. are these dorman any good. I've had to replace all 4 on my lincoln LS, some twice.

Back