need new motor! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need new motor!

I have a 92 ex. 4X4 4L. My engine is crapping out quite fast on it. 2 cylinders are shot on it, the power is depleting fast. I have a very limited budget. I want to put a new/rebuilt engine in there. I have been reading many of the posts, and it seems that the 302 is a great one to use. I'm not looking to beef it up to it's max(at least not for now). I know someone with a 302 that they are willing to give to me for dirt cheap. Would this be the best way to go? I know that there is a lot of work involved, but 3 buddies of mine swap engines all the time, and said they will help. Can this be done for around a grand??? Thanks in advance...:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A v-8 swap fer a grand... Nope won't happen... if yer looking to go the cheapest rout, it'll probly be a rebuilt 4.0

Well, if you don't count the motor or labor, how much do all the adapters and misc parts cost?

Does all of the adapters and misc. crap go above a grand?? I know a rebuilt 4.0 is almost 2G's...

Search it all... All the info is out there, and has been listed many times.

With my conversion, I have not yet exceded $2000 (this is a Canadian figure so you would be paying a little less) but I will once the exhaust is finished. The grand total for mine will be roughly $2250. This took months of planning collecting and waiting for the right deals. You may be able to get it down to about $1500 but I think that would be pushing it. The adapter is about $600 alone (AOD style + shipping) then you have to consider the tranny needed and all of the miscellaneous parts like mounts, hedders, exhaust, oil filter relocator, hoses, clamps, etc. etc.. It's all of the small things that seem to get you in the long run.

Conversions typically cost 4-6K............unless of course you are speedfreak, and are able to score the killer deals ;) !! Getting a donor car is the best way to go also. Saves a lot of time in the long run.

If you you only looking for your car to be down for 2 days, or want a cost effective conversion than the 4.0 replacement is the way to go. You could also probably find a cheap low mileage one at the J.Y. for less also.

The 5.0 conversion takes a lot of research time, and for most people, can be expensive if you dotn have the right connections. Be prepared to do some custom fab work too.

Good Luck
Al

Thanks for the advise everyone, I appreciate it. I think I am going to keep pricing refurbed 4Liters. Money is too tight, and I want it done the right way. I thought about going to the junkyard, but I'm a bit worried about doing that, and ending up with a bum engine. well see thanks again:hammer:

I talked with Dead Link Removed guy before and his prices are reasonable. This is one he has listed on ebay.

Back