Need some help - Sync vs. Navigation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some help - Sync vs. Navigation

Pattonn

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Can someone help me understand the benefits of sync (t,d and I) when u also have navigation?

If u have navigation, wouldn't the turn by turn navigation just be redundant?

I ordered a limited, so I am getting the nav, just trying to understand all the differences in the features.

Also, are sync apps available for the 2011 explorer? Does this include pandora?

Thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

navigation is just that. lcd screen with a map.

sync is your handfree system.

to call the wife, to play a certain mp3 on your ipod/phone etc.

sync (t,d and I) Thx
OK, so I have no idea what (t,d and I) means - but the nav system used maps stored on a card and plugged into the media center. It uses GPS. It is available so long as you have the maps and a GPS signal.

Sync navigation hooks up to your cell phone and can provide navigation via the phone. No phone attached, no Sync, no navigation.

Sorry for the confusion...the t,d and I (traffic, directions, and information) are the features that ford touts with the sync. I completely get the value of voice command, it just seemed to me that the traffic and directions portion of that are essentially the same as navigation. Just trying to understand sync better (when u have MFT) so I can take full advantage of it when our explorer arrives!

Sorry for the confusion...the t,d and I (traffic, directions, and information) are the features that ford touts with the sync. I completely get the value of voice command, it just seemed to me that the traffic and directions portion of that are essentially the same as navigation. Just trying to understand sync better (when u have MFT) so I can take full advantage of it when our explorer arrives!
Here is a copy of my reply under the thread Just Curious, Vehicle Tracking in which the question was raised whether or not the Ex could be tracked if stolen.

" I believe you have to have the necessary aps downloaded to your smartphone. Once that is done they can track your location at all times. I believe you need the SYNC ® Destinations mobile application and the Traffic, Directions and Information-enabled mobile application enabled on your phone along with the proper setup on Sync My Ride. These functions are not availabe here in Canada due to certain Privacy laws. So to answer your question, your vehicle cannot be tracked unless you have the smartphone with the required aps in it. "

So I gather that for you to be able to use the Traffic and Directions functions, you must have the required Aps downloaded to your smartphone and have it active in the vehicle. You also have to be set up on the Sync My Ride website where this is all explained.

Back