Need some help with auxiliary light install please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some help with auxiliary light install please

This is my first foray into installing lights on a car, and everything seemed to be going nicely until I actually tried lighting them up at the end. I think the problem originates at the switch, but I'm not sure. I used this diagram for my install with the exception of drawing power for my switch from the auxiliary power socket instead of the parking lights:

18205Hella_Wiring_WEB.jpg

I used a multimeter to test the power at the switch and the power at the relay, and I've got 12 volts at both, but when I flip the switch to the on position, I'm not reading any power at the load prong. Should I have a reading there when it is switched on? The switch lights up when it is turned on, but the lights don't come on. If anyone has any thoughts on what the problem could be I would appreciate it. Like I said, this is my first time doing this kind of work, and I may be overlooking something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just to make sure the obvious is covered, you DO have the ignition either on or in the Aux position right? Also, did you verify that you had 12v at your connecting point?

Sorry, I just read the bottom part of your post.

I'd do a continuity test on the switch to make sure it's closing where you are expecting it to close.

Just to make sure the obvious is covered, you DO have the ignition either on or in the Aux position right? Also, did you verify that you had 12v at your connecting point?

Yes, I tried it with the car turned on and 12v was confirmed with a multimeter :(

Sorry, I just read the bottom part of your post.

I'd do a continuity test on the switch to make sure it's closing where you are expecting it to close.

Where should I place the probes on the switch to test for continuity?

Sounds like a Ground problem.

I have them working now. I attached the power and ground wires according to the labels on the switch, and it turned out they needed to be attached opposite of the labels. They're working now.

Back