Need to save gas??!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to save gas??!!

aldive said:
however, a 4 wd truck can be made very gas efficient.
With enough time and $$ - surely

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahaha oh snap!

Here is what I use to save gas

Attachments

• 072205a1.jpg
    072205a1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 161

Joey p. said:
Here is what I use to save gas
I couldnt have said it better MAHSELF!
Bikes rule :D

For exercise and pleasure, bikes are the ticket.

However, for practicality, they wain. Its tough to carry a weeks worth of grocery's or the dogs for a hunting trip, not to mention 12 scuba tanks.

Further, its a long pedal ( 500 miles ) to the ranch.

I do try to ride everyday for exercise.

;) I drive 44 miles roundtrip everyday. I don't have a problem with gas prices. I drive a 4500+ lb suv with a v8 for a reason. Big crumple zone for accidents and what not, Plus I enjoy being above the road for a reason. Also, I don't want a honda Civic, I want an Explorer.

Joey p. said:
;) I drive 44 miles roundtrip everyday. I don't have a problem with gas prices. I drive a 4500+ lb suv with a v8 for a reason. Big crumple zone for accidents and what not, Plus I enjoy being above the road for a reason. Also, I don't want a honda Civic, I want an Explorer.

Well put, Joey. It seems to me that if you really use a SUV for what it is built for, you really shouldnt be complaining about gas prices so much. There not meant to be just round-the-town cruisers, like the rice burners.

Joey p. said:
I don't have a problem with gas prices. I drive a 4500+ lb suv with a v8 for a reason. Big crumple zone for accidents and what not, Plus I enjoy being above the road for a reason. Also, I don't want a honda Civic, I want an Explorer.
floydr007 said:
There not meant to be just round-the-town cruisers, like the rice burners.

We have to put ourselves in the shoes of the original poster - GridIron26. Strategically speaking, having an SUV for a recent graduate is probably not the best vehicle to have. And if GridIron26 is aiming for more education in the near future (undergrad if a recent high school graduate, masters if a recent undergrad, or maybe a PhD?), then an SUV is definitely not a good idea.

The FAQ page sums up my point of view pretty well:

Sell your Explorer (which costs over $.60/mile to operate) and get some small, used, ugly econobox with a miserly 4 cylinder (that costs more like $.25/mile to operate) Explorers are great, but they really cost a lot of money, both to buy parts for and feed. Plus the modifications you will eventually want to make on your Explorer can easily run in excess of $15,000

Given your age, we would take all our "spare" money (and all but the basics should be spare) and invest it in school, present and future. Get the hottest computer (Pentium MMX, preferably Pentium II or even newer) you can afford with the newest software, especially C and Java, and learn to program these languages. Take any available money and put it in a growth stock fund until you graduate from High School, then wait for a market high and get out with the money invested in a BBB-grade bond or preferred stock fund (about 8.75%) to provide income while you are in college or trade school.

If you are headed to college, consider this: Double major in college, that is do a full major in something you love (e.g. Art, Photography, Music Classics, History, Anthropology, Biology) and do a full major in something that will always provide you some good income (e.g. Business, Computer Science, Engineering). It will take you 4 years plus one additional semester.

If you intend to be an automotive mechanic, you still need to invest in the training such as Community College, including the computers, to be a good one these days. After this you will need to apprentice and maybe work for a specific manufacturer or dealership. You will be a step up on most toward building and modifying any fine vehicle.

When you get a decent job after all this, you need to save up one full years salary as a reserve. You need to begin to buy a place to live on your own before you buy toys. At the same time you need to be funding an employers retirement fund (e.g. 401k). If you are already working, even at a low paying job, you need to begin a Roth IRA. Fund the entire $2000 per year into your IRA and invest it into a growth stock fund...several after 10 years to spread the risk in several stock funds.

Here's your choices...you can have a really cool Explorer now that will probably be in the bone yard in 10 years and you will be $25,000 poorer and searching for your next "toy" car or you can be a millionaire+ at age 40 and buy any car you want. Go to Costco and buy a book called "The Millionaire Next Door" and read it cover to cover if you don’t believe us.

We’re not your mom or your dad or your guardian, who you probably don't like to listen to anyway. Yeah, we know we have *****in' Explorers...but we’ve "paid the price" and I don’t mean money…

Sorry to sound so practical, but these are the best modifications you can make at your age…right now...If you are not convinced or are already dripping with money, then by all means start building. Any modification will do wonders.

"The preceding statement has been endorsed by grouchy old farts with thin wallets and big payments."

Priorities....

Thats really well written in the FAQ's. SUV's do have their perks, and as a college student, it really helps me moving a lot of people and belongings to and from school. I also just traded in my volvo S70 (which got 31-32mpg hwy) to help get my explorer, and sometimes i regret the decision, especially with gas prices so high right now. Unfortunately, however, no car is cheap to own. A vehicle is an atrocious "investment" in about 99% of all cases, the explorer no exception.

Jack Lobdell would be proud that you pulled out his old advice. :chug:

IZwack said:
We have to put ourselves in the shoes of the original poster - GridIron26. Strategically speaking, having an SUV for a recent graduate is probably not the best vehicle to have. And if GridIron26 is aiming for more education in the near future (undergrad if a recent high school graduate, masters if a recent undergrad, or maybe a PhD?), then an SUV is definitely not a good idea.

The FAQ page sums up my point of view pretty well:

Priorities....

Well, well said both of you guys.. Yes, I just graduate from HS.. I didn't expected to get explorer at all.. My aunt had it, she wanted a bigger suv cuz of her job, so she got Excursion (one of SUVs I always have wanted).. And she gave her explorer to me.. Yea, I just realized that it's not worth to add any mods to my explorer.. I talked to a man at one of auto store.. Basically nothing.. I think I fell in love with my explorer, I don't want to give it away.. My mom will pay for college and etc, well not 100% but there's always student loans.. My mom's friend used student loan when he went to college.. And he turned out GREAT.. I mean really great.. I envy him.. AND he's damn smart, he always wanted Dodge Ram 2500 but bought Toyota Tacoma instead cuz of gas.. He's an goddamn rich man and he bought Tacoma!! Oh well, thanks guys anyway.. I will keep my explorer and try my best not to use it too much..

P.S. to one of those post - I have heavy foot :D

I really think gas price will go down little bit though, after President Bush's term.. I THINK.. (And I hope)

Just saw a new sticker on the diesel pump today.

Low Sulfer Diesel Fuel
500PPM Sulfer
Not for use in 2007 or later engines. Use in 2007 and later engines will cause vehicle and engine damage.

Congrats on graduating, I was in your shoes 2 years ago. My point wasnt to persuade you not to mod your explorer. I think its great to have some fun with it. I just agree with a few other people that theres better things to do with your money, especially at our age. Where are you planning on going to college? Welcome to the explorer community, as well.

Hey grid iron, I would like to be the first to apologize to you in this Forum. It got kinda heated and that has not been my normal experience.

Use your best judgement. It's true that most mods won't do you a lick of good in the mpg dept. But there are a few (if you keep your foot out of it) that will certainly help. and in my opinion are worth the money.

A tune up and a few extra bucks on better than stock plugs and wires is always a good idea just for the well being of any vehicle. Synthetic motor oil, again just a good idea and any way I've done the math, pays for itself.

Synthetic Tranny fluid and gear oil changes should extend the life of your tranny and driveline. May or may not help with mpg. But if you plan to keep it a long time it's a good idea.

Acetone, all I can say is try it out. Some like it some don't. I'm still testing it. I've had good luck with it in gas that has no ethanol, but no diff in the 10% ethanol gas.

The most valuable thing I've learned in my life is to listen to and learn from other people and their experiences both good and bad. Pay attention to the other people in your life and do what is working for others and don't do what is not working for others.

Once again good luck

floydr007 said:
Congrats on graduating, I was in your shoes 2 years ago. My point wasnt to persuade you not to mod your explorer. I think its great to have some fun with it. I just agree with a few other people that theres better things to do with your money, especially at our age. Where are you planning on going to college? Welcome to the explorer community, as well.

Thanks.. Yea, I decided not to mod my explorer for now.. There's a house construct site near my home and I'm tempting to to drive my explorer through it.. I will got to Rochester Institute of Technology at Rochester NY..

GridIron26 said:
I will got to Rochester Institute of Technology at Rochester NY..
I graduated from there 3 years ago! Route 15 all the way between Frederick and Rochester!! You're going to have a blast there!

You're definitely going to have to join one of the SAE-teams : either Baja, Formula1, or Aero (I joined Aero). That is something you MUST do! Plus you'll probably get free trips to places. Formula1 sometimes goes to Australia to race their car against the Australians. Baja of course is for the more off road type - very interesting concepts in that race (including I think floatation devices) - tho the Baja vehicle configuration more resembles a squished sand rail chassis instead of a trophy truck. Aero is self explanatory - lift the most weight given specific params like engine displacement, wingspan and so on (rules change each year).

And btw, Dibela's :thumbsup: great sandwiches and subs - its near the CompUSA, on the far right side at the end of the strip

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IZwack said:
I graduated from there 3 years ago! Route 15 all the way between Frederick and Rochester!! You're going to have a blast there!

You're definitely going to have to join one of the SAE-teams : either Baja, Formula1, or Aero (I joined Aero). That is something you MUST do! Plus you'll probably get free trips to places. Formula1 sometimes goes to Australia to race their car against the Australians. Baja of course is for the more off road type - very interesting concepts in that race (including I think floatation devices) - tho the Baja vehicle configuration more resembles a squished sand rail chassis instead of a trophy truck. Aero is self explanatory - lift the most weight given specific params like engine displacement, wingspan and so on (rules change each year).

And btw, Dibela's :thumbsup: great sandwiches and subs - its near the CompUSA, on the far right side at the end of the strip

Oooo really?? Cool.. SAE-teams sounds fun.. I will look them up when I got to RIT.. But to be exactly I will go to NTID though.. Haha, thanks for Dibela's tip, will try it out when I'm at there..

Back