New 1994 Ford Explorer Limited and start of new project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 1994 Ford Explorer Limited and start of new project

MuscleJunkie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
Well, got rid of the 1993 and I have seemed to picked up a slight "Explorer" bug now and went and picked up a 1994 Ford Explorer Limited with the Green/Teal combo

I've decided to undertake this one as a project called "The What Could Have Been" project

Basically the plan is to restore a great portion of this truck back to like new condition and also improve on where the Ford Engineers and design team left off.

Some early brainstorming has resulted in these future changes

1. Complete repaint (same colors using premium paint and factory strip kit) of the entire exterior including all body work.

2. Remove entire interior, insulate with dynamat. Using top grade premium leather, recover seats using original stitching pattern with Black/Grey Inserts with Teal piping. Dash to be covered in stitched leather with black/gray scheme. Door panels revised with black grey leather. All carpet removed and either cleaned/restored/possibly recolor or re-carpet using the same type of material custom made?? All plastic either dyed or covered in leather.

3. 2nd gen console with navigation unit placed where old trip screen was

4. Upgrade suspension?

5. Convert popup sunroof to moonroof

These are just some of the ideas and would love to hear other member's comments, suggestions, gripes, etc. Also if anyone has any insight to some of the ideas the design team might have had on the board but they were never implemented that we could do with this truck. Of course, we will post our progress as it moves along

So far only changes have been addition of Flowmaster muffler and chrome tip and Firestone Destination AT tires in stock size.

Here is the page with pictures

http://94explorerlimited.ath.cx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes that looks like a good starting point. The interior seems fairly nice for the age, that's why I kept so much of mine.

My 99 Limited was rolled, and not much besides the chassis was usable. I did save most of the sunroof though, think about whether you want to install an aftermarket piece, or an OEM 99 system. There is a small break in the plastic of a part on the sunroof guide(I don't know what the part is), I took it out two years ago. Basically any late 95-01 overhead console with the sunroof switch can be used to control this. It basically has one power wire going up the "A" pillar. It would take some welding in any case.
This rug I cleaned in 1998, and I haven't really needed to shampoo it since. Regards,

Attachments

• 93LimitedRug01.JPG
    93LimitedRug01.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,467

It's always been my opinion that 1st gens like you have were meant to be equally at home on the trail as they were on the road. With that said I think a 2" lift (good one, not the budget kind), 4.10's, 31" AT's, arbs, all poly bushings, and custom sway bars would make it handle better on and offroad but also look a crap load better.

Wheels...outlaw 2's from american racing, look just like the ones (or at least I can't tell the diff) that came from the factory.

Another thing, convert the rear cargo area to hard wood like they use in the 50's pickup/hot rods. I thought about doing this a few years ago before I decided to take mine in the offroad only route. And i've NEVER seen it done on an explorer :D

Lighting...LED rear's, HID fronts

Stereo...amp, headunit, 6x8's, and a stealth sub.

Engine...chip, exhaust, intake, throttle body, etc etc

Sounds like you're budget isn't too low so I say go for it man! I'd freaking love to do the exact same thing after my f150 is paid off. If it were me i'd do little things like this instead of huge things like 20' wheels etc, subtle things make a bigger overall difference I think. :D :thumbsup:

I agree about the sway bars, that's the first suspension item I would look into. Choose some nice shocks also, nothing cheap. The transmission is a weak link, install a Transgo correction kit($35) in the valve body, plus a 1/8" longer vacuum modulator pin(cut down Chrysler pin, it firms the 1/2 shift). Or I could sell you my 93 4x4 trans, it has that in it already, and 112,622 miles on it.

BTW, how do you like the mirrors? FYI, I have the 95-01 mirrors on my 93 doors, they bolt right on. Don't waste money on aftermarket mirrors, buy Ford only, new or used. My truck is the 99 Limited, so the mirrors have puddle lights and are heated. Regards,

wow! amazing! i want ur seats! they are beautiful, if u do change the seats, put new material aon them, let me know, i might have the cash to buy them! they are amazing!
and that grill i have looked every where, if u want a new one let me know about that to,
and sorry for sounding like a mooch!
regards, TJ

I agree about the sway bars, that's the first suspension item I would look into. Choose some nice shocks also, nothing cheap. The transmission is a weak link, install a Transgo correction kit($35) in the valve body, plus a 1/8" longer vacuum modulator pin(cut down Chrysler pin, it firms the 1/2 shift). Or I could sell you my 93 4x4 trans, it has that in it already, and 112,622 miles on it.

BTW, how do you like the mirrors? FYI, I have the 95-01 mirrors on my 93 doors, they bolt right on. Don't waste money on aftermarket mirrors, buy Ford only, new or used. My truck is the 99 Limited, so the mirrors have puddle lights and are heated. Regards,

That was one question that was coming up - suspension upgrades. I'm not interested in lifting up the truck at all - but want to keep the stock ride height. Would like to improve the suspension components though but not clear on exactly what items to use. If anyone has some suggestions on complete suspension upgrades with links to products, would really be interested in any advice.

Also have the 60-65mph shakes and looking into the Ford TSB fix. I contacted Eibach and they have nothing to offer as their alleged fix was only for the 2wd models. Is there any fix for this issue?

As far as the transmission, what is the Transgo correction kit and what does it do? And where does one go about getting this vacuum modulator pin? Will these two items make that significant of a difference?

wow! amazing! i want ur seats! they are beautiful, if u do change the seats, put new material aon them, let me know, i might have the cash to buy them! they are amazing!
and that grill i have looked every where, if u want a new one let me know about that to

I will look into what they can do when the interior is done.

I hope you have a lot of $, & time. Leather door panels & dash? That makes no sense.

But good luck with it.

I hope you have a lot of $, & time. Leather door panels & dash? That makes no sense.

But good luck with it.

Being that this is a "What Could Have Been" type project, the object is to make this truck nicer than it was when it was new. Just taking the approach of what would have the Ford Designers have done had they been given an unlimited budget and no limits to what they could have done with this truck and package.

Due to the fact that the plastic interior has a "less than premium" feel and look to it, I feel that a leather interior will be an appropriate upgrade that is fitting with the Limited package theme of this vehicle. Also it just will be something unique that should contribute to setting this truck off from any other Explorer out there.

Yeah ok, I just think your doing it to the wrong SUV. It's a project though so as long as you know it's not going to be easy....

On that note you may want to start with the tranny, engine & drivetrain. Those are the important parts. Tranny especially.

For the vibrations, your 94 should already have the TSB fix. There should be counter weights bolted to the X-fer case & rear end.
Doesn't really fix it. I have the same vibrations on my 94. I have not been able to get rid of them.

The Transgo valve body kits are the best insurance against early failure from slippage and soft shifts. They don't make a shift kit for this A4LD trans, only the systems correction kit. They make systems correction kits for almost all popular vehicles, they improve the shifting qualities. That pin I mentioned was the idea of an old trans rebuilder I knew long ago. He was correct in suggesting a longer modulator pin, the 1/2 shift was slightly better than with only the valve body kit. The A4LD is a light duty trans, so every little bit of help is smart to do. Those kits usually take an hour or less for a pro to install in the valve body, but the whole R&R task is long and messy. Many trans shops will do that for you. The modulator pin isn't special, just have a trans shop dig through their old Chrysler parts for one which is longer. Cut and file the end to be about 1/8" longer.

Yeah ok, I just think your doing it to the wrong SUV. It's a project though so as long as you know it's not going to be easy....

On that note you may want to start with the tranny, engine & drivetrain. Those are the important parts. Tranny especially.

For the vibrations, your 94 should already have the TSB fix. There should be counter weights bolted to the X-fer case & rear end.
Doesn't really fix it. I have the same vibrations on my 94. I have not been able to get rid of them.

The wrong SUV??? Well I guess that is a matter of opinion and I have fully expected that I will hear that from alot of people (already have from a few....you want to do what to an Explorer...why an Explorer???)

Anyway, I feel that the 1st generation Explorer is the best looking out of all the generations that have been yet produced by Ford. My thing is I like something just a bit different. I feel the Limited Explorer with its different grill, Limited Package, wheels and color scheme really sets this truck off from even the standard 1st gen trucks. I think it also stands out from most other SUV's that tend to just blend in with every other SUV and car out there. Again, I am not into the big jacked up truck with tires 10 times to big for the vehicle or the 40inch DUBS that ride like crud BLING look either. Just something close to stock but unique enough that just sets it apart and people realize there is something different about it and it is not just another old regular SUV rolling down the road.

As far as the engine and tranny, I have been fortunate that Ford replaced both under extended warranty. The truck now has a 97 Explorer combo with no too many miles since the change out. But yes, I am thinking about the "what if" regarding the drivetrain and the thought is when that times comes to go with a specially built V8 and tranny which should keep this truck going for a long time to come.

I heard the TSB from Ford called for a third rear shock and some other things. I know this truck doesn't have a third shock in the rear and I'll have to look for any weights that you mentioned. One way or another, I intend to solve the vibration problem somehow if possible.

The Transgo valve body kits are the best insurance against early failure from slippage and soft shifts. They don't make a shift kit for this A4LD trans, only the systems correction kit. They make systems correction kits for almost all popular vehicles, they improve the shifting qualities. That pin I mentioned was the idea of an old trans rebuilder I knew long ago. He was correct in suggesting a longer modulator pin, the 1/2 shift was slightly better than with only the valve body kit. The A4LD is a light duty trans, so every little bit of help is smart to do. Those kits usually take an hour or less for a pro to install in the valve body, but the whole R&R task is long and messy. Many trans shops will do that for you. The modulator pin isn't special, just have a trans shop dig through their old Chrysler parts for one which is longer. Cut and file the end to be about 1/8" longer.

Thanks for the advice on the Transgo - I'll check into that as well as the pin

Really looking forward to any other's comments, suggestions and advice on this project - Thanks again

Jim what kind of stereo bass do you need> The best OEM type replacement is the JL Stealthbox, expensive new, and someone here has a used one for sale. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185931

They are tough to find used, and about $150 would be a good price for a complete unit. This one looks to have no speaker, the JL 10" it comes with is about $100 new, I have an extra speaker also.

Jim what kind of stereo bass do you need> The best OEM type replacement is the JL Stealthbox, expensive new, and someone here has a used one for sale. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185931

They are tough to find used, and about $150 would be a good price for a complete unit. This one looks to have no speaker, the JL 10" it comes with is about $100 new, I have an extra speaker also.

Well I am in the process of having the stock 6" JBL being repaired (they are replacing the surround) so I am curious to see how it sounds once that is done and installed. They have assured me that it will be good as new and I should have it back at the end of the week.

I have considered the JL stealth and will take a look at the link. Sounds like that can be a great deal.

I dig what you're after man. My suggestions were along that line, i think the ford designers left out some much needed ride height for government safety testing though. This is what mine looked like after a budget boost and 31"s...not that bad I thought, looked like (to me) that it was porportioned better with the small lift and little bit bigger meats :)

Suspension DEFFINITLY needs upgraded sway bars and poly bushings though, would make a huge difference ;)

Whatever you do, post pics! I'm anxious to see what you do. Oh...wood cargo area haha (i really want to see someone do that hahaha!)

527436_4_full.jpg

The stock 91-94 trucks basically all had 235/75/15 tires. The later 16" sizes were better, ride is not compromised by the 70 series, and the extra 1/2" to an inch of height helps also. Those were 255/70/16 on many models along 1999-2001.

The stock 91-94 trucks basically all had 235/75/15 tires. The later 16" sizes were better, ride is not compromised by the 70 series, and the extra 1/2" to an inch of height helps also. Those were 255/70/16 on many models along 1999-2001.

Yeah, I really like the new Firestone Destination AT tires much better than the Tiger Paws that were on it. It looks much better and rides much better with the stock tire on it as well. Trying to figure out how I can freshen up the limited wheels. Can they be polished out ya think?

Suspension DEFFINITLY needs upgraded sway bars and poly bushings though, would make a huge difference

Whatever you do, post pics! I'm anxious to see what you do. Oh...wood cargo area haha (i really want to see someone do that hahaha!)
Do you have any links to the recommended suspension components for the setup I am looking at? Will give some thought to the wooden floor. To bad no one is a good sketch artist here so we could have an idea of what it would look like

Those Limited wheels are like most other clear coated wheels, sunshine will eventually ruin the clearcoat. Mine were perfect from 1998 until about 2003, and since then the clear has begun to crack. Wheels can be stripped and recoated but the price is fairly high, and if they have any color on them that might be stripped also.

Attachments

• 93-94 Limited wheel.JPG
    93-94 Limited wheel.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,424
  • 95-97Taillight.JPG
    95-97Taillight.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,492

I might look into that option of redoing the wheels. I have a guy in town here that takes care of the rims on my other vehicles and I'll ask him what he recommends. I think they might need to be stripped and refinished as you suggested. But I bet once that is done they will look great. I wonder what they would like like if they were polished or chromed out? Ever see limited wheels in Chrome?

Those Limited wheels are like most other clear coated wheels, sunshine will eventually ruin the clearcoat. Mine were perfect from 1998 until about 2003, and since then the clear has begun to crack. Wheels can be stripped and recoated but the price is fairly high, and if they have any color on them that might be stripped also.

is that a first gen??? and are those 2nd gen tails???? how??? lol, looks decent!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back