New 1994 Ford Explorer Limited and start of new project | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 1994 Ford Explorer Limited and start of new project

So "enlighten" me, what is the difference between a sun roof & a moon roof ? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A lot of people call what you/we/I have a moon roof. The 93/94's had the option of the simple glass cover which is held in and raised up by a twisting knob.

The later trucks have an electric power opening roof, it slides back or lifts up in the back. I have most of those parts from my wrecked 99.

Sounds like a good bit of work.

Here's an easy task, replace the side view mirrors with 95-01 model units. I have them on my 91 and 93 doors. They bolt on the same, only the wiring will need a little arranging at the connectors. You have a Limited, so you can buy the heated version and the wire is already there. If you run a wire to tap into the dome light circuit(black/blue), you can also select the puddle mirrors. Just be sure to only buy Ford mirrors, the aftermarket stuff fits and adjusts poorly. Regards,

Sounds like a great idea. I have to replace my mirrors anyway - so that is great the newer ones fit.

Umm.. what are "puddle mirrors"???

A lot of people call what you/we/I have a moon roof. The 93/94's had the option of the simple glass cover which is held in and raised up by a twisting knob.

The later trucks have an electric power opening roof, it slides back or lifts up in the back. I have most of those parts from my wrecked 99.

So which is the moon & which is the sun roof ? what you gave me was a politician's answer, not very definitive :rolleyes:

The later mirrors are far better, they don't have a painted appearance, and the finish lasts longer. The puddle mirror is the common type now with a light underneath them. When you unlock the doors, the light illuminates the side area on the ground.

I know, the sunroof, moon roof used to mean a permanent clear cover, often bulging out slightly. These that we have do sit up above the roof line slightly.

A sun roof is a removable piece of glass or one that simply pops up.
A moonroof slides the entire roof glass back to create an opening.

Ok, another couple of ideas hoping to get some input on.

Is it possible to take the side vent on the front fender from this

100_3392.JPG

And put it some how on my fender? Anyone good with Photoshop and would care to tackle that to see what it might look like?

Another more wild idea is wouldn't it be cool to somehow get these lights to work on the X

100_3393.JPG

Here are a couple more interior shots of the 08 SC RR Full Size interior that we are using for a baseline.

100_3388.JPG

100_3389.JPG

looks alot like my 93 limited.

Jim hasn't touched base here in a long while. He was having fun with a Viper that he bought last Fall.

Yeah, as you all can imagine things got put off a bit after the purchase I made end of last year.

The 94 is still running strong and I have quitely been picking up parts for it here and there. The project idea has evolved just a bit. Still going with the Range Rover interior but have added a performance twist to the rest.

Having just got back from the SRT Driving Experience last month

See This Post

and driving the MONSTER Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, it got my head going with some performance ideas. Looking to see what could be done to possibly duplicate the performance, etc of that in the 94. Its a tall order but I do not think its impossible. Most importantly I still want to stay with on the exterior as close as stock as possible (with the exception of a Saleen Wing if I ever find one - still looking for one of those)

I like wrre your coming from man. I too believe the forst gen expolorers have a LOT of untapped potential.

To answer one of your questions. About guages. A company called Nu Image makes flamed gauge faces for first gen trucks they are about 80$ but are worth the investment when coupled with some stainless steel gauge overlays available on eBay. They really make the dash POP!

You can find some bad pictures of them in my picture garage.

I also want to speak to you about the lift. A simple 2" spacer/shackel lift will greatly reduce the minivan look of a stock explorer and help it stand out.

It doesn't look over board at all. Just brings the truck back to what I'd should have looked like from the factory.

The decision is of course yours to make.

Good luck!

Ps. Do you make Alot of money or what man? This stuff is gonna be muy expensivo!

Yeah, as you all can imagine things got put off a bit after the purchase I made end of last year.

The 94 is still running strong and I have quitely been picking up parts for it here and there. The project idea has evolved just a bit. Still going with the Range Rover interior but have added a performance twist to the rest.

Having just got back from the SRT Driving Experience last month

See This Post

and driving the MONSTER Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, it got my head going with some performance ideas. Looking to see what could be done to possibly duplicate the performance, etc of that in the 94. Its a tall order but I do not think its impossible. Most importantly I still want to stay with on the exterior as close as stock as possible (with the exception of a Saleen Wing if I ever find one - still looking for one of those)
It's good to hear from you, glad that everything is fine. I can help you soon with the rear wing. Recall that I had a custom part last year that is very close? I found a real one and just now may have a front bumper soon. I'm really busy with my 347 and trans swap, but after that I can help.

Check with Chris about the other wing that he has, others have offered him for it. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2003313#post2003313

It's good to hear from you, glad that everything is fine. I can help you soon with the rear wing. Recall that I had a custom part last year that is very close? I found a real one and just now may have a front bumper soon. I'm really busy with my 347 and trans swap, but after that I can help.

Check with Chris about the other wing that he has, others have offered him for it. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2003313#post2003313

Thanks for the info on that! :thumbsup:

I like wrre your coming from man. I too believe the forst gen expolorers have a LOT of untapped potential.

To answer one of your questions. About guages. A company called Nu Image makes flamed gauge faces for first gen trucks they are about 80$ but are worth the investment when coupled with some stainless steel gauge overlays available on eBay. They really make the dash POP!

You can find some bad pictures of them in my picture garage.

I also want to speak to you about the lift. A simple 2" spacer/shackel lift will greatly reduce the minivan look of a stock explorer and help it stand out.

It doesn't look over board at all. Just brings the truck back to what I'd should have looked like from the factory.

The decision is of course yours to make.

Good luck!

Ps. Do you make Alot of money or what man? This stuff is gonna be muy expensivo!

Thanks for the info. I had thought about the lift but interested in keeping a pretty much stock outward appearance.

THIS PICTURE really shows just how nice a truck this was stock from FORD and no reason to stay along those lines with just a bit of an upgrade.

Back