New 1994 Ford Explorer Limited and start of new project | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 1994 Ford Explorer Limited and start of new project

the rest of the interior is pretty much stock, my project is on hold for the moment. trying to think of some fresh ideas. some more pics in elite garage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, sort of excited here.

Received in the mail today a set of BRAND NEW 1994 JADE Limited Stick On Logos (Genuine Ford) Was worried as these apparently are sold out by Ford and didn't think I could find a set of new ones.

The ones on my truck are in good shape, but not sure how they will be if we have to remove them for the repaint, so it was good to get ahold of these. Also going to see how one would look on the back gate

Well, the back gate is a no-go. Looks completely out of place. Now need to find a late model LIMITED logo - maybe that will do it.

Which do you like better, the gold individual letters, my 99 had them, or the decal type I used(see the back hatch on page 1)?

Attachments

• 99reardamage.JPG
    99reardamage.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 456

Which do you like better, the gold individual letters, my 99 had them, or the decal type I used(see the back hatch on page 1)?

I see the gold letters...where is the decal?

I found a late model Limited emblem which is large and covers the original two holes. It lists "CONTROL TRAC 4WD" along the bottom. There were also simple rectangular Limited mblems, I found most choices on eBay.

Attachments

• Limited emblem.JPG
    Limited emblem.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 447

I found a late model Limited emblem which is large and covers the original two holes. It lists "CONTROL TRAC 4WD" along the bottom. There were also simple rectangular Limited mblems, I found most choices on eBay.

What is Control Trac 4WD and what is the difference from that on the 1994?

The Control Trac is the later model 4WD which automatically engages the front driveshaft when a speed difference is detected. You would have a hard time adding that system, it would require different engine/trans harnesses, PCM, too much effort I think. I liked the separate Limited emblems, but since I have the Control Trac this worked better for me. It is also easier to wash, the old emblem snags the wash mitt easily.

Look at the emblem I have above, look at just the wording "LIMITED". You can buy an emblem which is just like that section, and larger than the lettering of mine. I may have bought one of those also, I've forgotten. I remember seeing that one first on eBay, and then finding the one I used now later.

You can paint the lettering, they are painted originally I believe. I almost used those letters, I debated for a long time, and then found this large one I ended up with.

Just an update on the status of this project. The vehicle is now at the local interior customizer being looked over to provide a quote on the interior work. Some things hoping to get some input from everyone here.

I told them that I wanted to go with leather throughout and they suggested using higrade Vinyl on areas like the dash pad and door tops as the leather might have problems over time in these areas due to UV, etc. What do you all think?

We are looking now replacing the carpet with some sort of plush black carpet and doing away with the green all together.

Have decided to keep the teal piping but change the seats cushion design for something much tighter looking and are now looking at options on cushion design instead of the poofy look that the X currently has. Anyone have any ideas here?

Oh - met up with CDW6212R and picked up his bumper (Thanks) to replace my chipped one until the repaint. Looks much better and went on without a hitch.

We are making a new center console to look as close to stock and go all the way up to where the ashtray is. The NAV system to be placed there looks like it might be a AVIC-D3 and we are putting monitors in both front seat headrests as well. Where the current radio is now, most likely will be putting in a CB Radio since the radio functions are now going to be driven by the AVIC-D3. The installer suggested removing the radio, center AC VENT and 4X4 button (moving it) to put a double din NAV there but I do not want to lose the center AC vent.

Going to look at some material samples this afternoon

Sounds good Jim. The Limited Explorers all have leather door panel top edges. Take yours as a good example of reliability after 14 years.

Sounds good Jim. The Limited Explorers all have leather door panel top edges. Take yours as a good example of reliability after 14 years.

Yeah, I agree. We are back to all leather now. Still thinking up some design ideas. Would be nice to find some design interior sketches of Explorer concept vehicles.

Well have come up with a few great ideas. Have decided to use the 2008 Range Rover Supercharged FULL SIZE (not sport) as the sort of a template for some of the interior upgrades. Will update this later with some 2008 RR pics once I can get them. But the following is from the 07 RR

Cargo Area:
Take this
http://94explorerlimited.ath.cx/images/100_3199.JPG

and do something like this
7A257447-18sm.jpg

Front Seats (keeping the teal piping)
http://94explorerlimited.ath.cx/images/100_3202.JPG

and something like this
7A257447-14sm.jpg

Rear Seats and interior something like this
Interior_Colors_2A9914C9-A3D5-482A-983F-AC026A47A7A7.jpg

Just some starting ideas

A few other pics showing some RR design cues
2124450_3.jpg

2124450_23.jpg

7A257447-20sm.jpg

7A257447-16sm.jpg

Those are nice interiors. I will need to do something with my 98 door panels, sun damage has faded the gray almost white at the top. Please let me know if you get a door panel estimate. I may try painting the plastic upper portion, I've never done plastic painting before.

Those are nice interiors. I will need to do something with my 98 door panels, sun damage has faded the gray almost white at the top. Please let me know if you get a door panel estimate. I may try painting the plastic upper portion, I've never done plastic painting before.

Yeah, I am waiting for the local Land Rover dealership to get a Supercharged HSV in (sometime in the next couple weeks) so I can get it photographed. I do think that this interior will be the best look for the truck

Trying to figure out what color to do the headliner and the pillars?

Also talked to Apsis about having some Carbon Fiber pieces made. I definately want to get the dash cluster trim in carbon. Also thinking about some sort of overlay or something to go over the part of the dash with the 2 AC vents.

Now for the navigation, I am on the fence. The installer suggested removing the center AC vent and 4X4 button and putting the Pioneer AVIC-D3 there. Or he could custom make a center console and put it there. What do you all think? If mounted up to, where to move the 4X4 button? What about center AC vent. I was thinking just to move it below and move the AC down or something?

Oh, ended up picking up one of these pieces. Going to try and dremel off the Control Trac 4WD. Don't know if it will work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a good bit of work.

Here's an easy task, replace the side view mirrors with 95-01 model units. I have them on my 91 and 93 doors. They bolt on the same, only the wiring will need a little arranging at the connectors. You have a Limited, so you can buy the heated version and the wire is already there. If you run a wire to tap into the dome light circuit(black/blue), you can also select the puddle mirrors. Just be sure to only buy Ford mirrors, the aftermarket stuff fits and adjusts poorly. Regards,

Back