New 1994 Ford Explorer Limited and start of new project | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 1994 Ford Explorer Limited and start of new project

Yes the Limited wheels may well turn out good, I decided to move to the later 16's of the 99 I bought.

I mixed parts between my 93 and the 99, the tail lights were not fun at all to cut down to fit.
Don't mind the 18" wheels, those are my Mountaineer's, I used them only until I started to use the truck for work. Regards,

Attachments

• Projectthread085.jpg
    Projectthread085.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 595
  • Projectthread106.JPG
    Projectthread106.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 610

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had my 99 Limited driving in January. When I got an alignment that's when I swapped the wheels back. I have been delivering mail with the 99 since then with the 99-01 wheels. I had chosen a 245/70/16 for the 29.5" height. I've since discovered that the speedometer is slightly fast, and a flasher/programmer cannot correct the speedometer. I'll buy the OEM 255/70/16 size next time, and lower the truck a hair more. I need as low of a height as possible, for all of the too short mailboxes.

Ok.. well it seems we are at this point regarding a few issues some of you all brought up to us.

1. Suspension - what suspension components will offer the best quality ride all around and what vendor can they be obtained from? Also, what is the TSB number for the 1994 that deals with 60mph - 65mph vibration. I believe there were couple.

2. Can we get a 95 -? console with the little trip screen to fit without MAJOR work in truck and then mount a nav system where the trip computer screen is?

3. Already determined that the teal pieces can be painted to match the original shade, repairs can be made and it all will have acceptable durability

4. Original carpet might be able to be cleaned and or dyed back to original shade. If not, what vendor has this type of wool carpet available and what would be involved in getting it to mold properly to the floor. Also will dynamat the entire vehicle while the carpet is out??

5. Paint and interior work vendors selected. On interior - not into the white gages. Perhaps custom stainless bezels can be made for stock gages to go around the numbers? Or are there any other gages that will fit in the X and stock dash?

6. Is a driver's side airbag/wheel compatible from later model explorer? What is involved in a changeover?

7. Refinish and recoat wheels or chrome out? Any pictures available of chrome limited wheels?

8. Solid wood floor in back of explorer? What kind could be used and what about backs of rear seats?

9. How to get headrests into 1st gen backseats? Possible or need 2nd gen swap?

10. Will Saleen wing fit a 1st generation explorer? Anyone have a pic of this combo?

11. Anyone know how to see any of the original design sketches or pics of the clay models from the 1st generation explorer design program or limited design program (if there was such a thing) Any contacts with the people involved with that project?

You have a big project starting there Jim. I'm fairly busy myself, but some of what you have there will be easy, and some near impossible.

The "Saleen" wing of an XP* cannot be had, there were so few made, and the molds are long long gone(destroyed). David(CobraXP) had made about ten look-alikes out of Kia Sodona wings, and I bought the last one.

You cannot add airbags, you could do the wheel, but there is a ton of wiring and I've been there, try to not think about it.

You can swap any of your seats from 4dr. Explorers up to the first generation of Sport Trac seats. Some of those 2003 or so trucks had really nice two toned gray leather on all four seats. Check out the *********..com forum, there have been a couple of members find them.

Let me know when you get to it if you would like the whole front bumper, if we met it'd be easier to just leave it as is, your choice.

Try to clean your rugs first. I may sell mine, I'm not thrilled with the stains that are unremovable in my 99 dark gray rugs. Regards,

Attachments

• RearWing01.jpg
    RearWing01.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 559
  • 14802Rear-Wing-002-med.jpg
    14802Rear-Wing-002-med.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 554
  • X-Spec wing99EE.jpg
    X-Spec wing99EE.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 573

You have a big project starting there Jim. I'm fairly busy myself, but some of what you have there will be easy, and some near impossible.

The "Saleen" wing of an XP* cannot be had, there were so few made, and the molds are long long gone(destroyed). David(CobraXP) had made about ten look-alikes out of Kia Sodona wings, and I bought the last one.

You cannot add airbags, you could do the wheel, but there is a ton of wiring and I've been there, try to not think about it.

You can swap any of your seats from 4dr. Explorers up to the first generation of Sport Trac seats. Some of those 2003 or so trucks had really nice two toned gray leather on all four seats. Check out the *********..com forum, there have been a couple of members find them.

Let me know when you get to it if you would like the whole front bumper, if we met it'd be easier to just leave it as is, your choice.

Try to clean your rugs first. I may sell mine, I'm not thrilled with the stains that are unremovable in my 99 dark gray rugs. Regards,

Yeah, may just change the wheel out and do without the airbags. I thought the wiring my be a battle that really isn't worth fighting - but a newer wheel might be nice. Now to just decide on which one.

I really do like the wing. Maybe one will eventually turn up or I could convince someone to part with there's for enough $$$ Will the wing fit on a 1st gen...that is the ? I need 2 answer before I even start thinking about it.

Spoke with the vendor who is going to do the entire interior and they will clean the rugs when they are doing everything else. I am still going to search out a vendor for replacement carpet of the same type of weave/blend/color for a backup.

If you are anyone else has some suggestions, leads, advice on my 11 points above, would love to hear any input.

Thanks again

The hatch shape is evidently slightly different from 97 to 98. I know of someone in Alaska who has one of those ten on his 96 Limited. David did the fabricating, he could say how much different they are, but I don't think it's much. I've got to tweak on mine a little to make it fit better, and round off the corners more.

The hatch shape is evidently slightly different from 97 to 98. I know of someone in Alaska who has one of those ten on his 96 Limited. David did the fabricating, he could say how much different they are, but I don't think it's much. I've got to tweak on mine a little to make it fit better, and round off the corners more.

So I take that means it "will not" fit on a 94 hatch

No, they are very close to being the same. You aren't going to find a real XP8 wing, the two or three that I've seen go by in three years sold for $500 and more. The possibility of making one from a Sedona wing is good for a good fiberglass man. The skill to cut and relengthen one would be enough to be able to grind/add to fit the ends. Leave that towards the end of your project.

I'm wanting to find a used/broken F150 hood like this(Cobra F1). I have a friend who could build it into my 98 hood.

Attachments

• f150_cobra1hood.jpg
    f150_cobra1hood.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 545

u keeping the seat fabric???
and it sounds as tho this is gona look freaking amazing!!!!!

Going to do away with the little fabric strips in the doors and seats - just not sure what they will be replaced with. Perhaps some sort of suede. But intended to keep the same stitch patterns as the limited seats, just go with a black and grey inserts and keep the limited stitched writing and teal piping.

Started thinking about drivetrain today a bit. Even though that is the last of my concerns right now and it will be something dealt with after all of this other...something about 500 - 600hp kept hitting my thoughts. Wonder what kind of performance that amount of power with the right tranny could do with this vehicle??? Might have to talk about that a bit as well

...Started thinking about drivetrain today a bit. Even though that is the last of my concerns right now and it will be something dealt with after all of this other...something about 500 - 600hp kept hitting my thoughts. Wonder what kind of performance that amount of power with the right tranny could do with this vehicle??? Might have to talk about that a bit as well
You can stick a 302 in that truck easily, tons of people have done it. The best examples all use the drivetrain from a 96-01 Explorer, the PCM, trans, and front engine dress. You can also get a 351W engine to do in, but the headers are trouble, and the AC is close for those.
If you go that route, keep an eye out on what the better Explorer guys are doing. The positive displacement superchargers produce the best low to mid range power, what you need in a heavy truck. Ony a few have done that or attempted it. I'm going down that path later on, my last addition. Regards,

Sorry - the URL was down last night. Fixed the problem!

http://94explorerlimited.ath.cx

ou can stick a 302 in that truck easily, tons of people have done it. The best examples all use the drivetrain from a 96-01 Explorer, the PCM, trans, and front engine dress. You can also get a 351W engine to do in, but the headers are trouble, and the AC is close for those.
If you go that route, keep an eye out on what the better Explorer guys are doing. The positive displacement superchargers produce the best low to mid range power, what you need in a heavy truck. Ony a few have done that or attempted it. I'm going down that path later on, my last addition. Regards,

Went over to FORD yesterday and talk to the lady I deal with at Parts and inquired about the new BOSS 302 engine which is said to put out 500HP. I am curious if this will be able to be "bolted in"

She has yet to call me back with any pricing or additional info.

Jim, hunt around on this site for a while before you start to finalize engine plans. There is a lot to learn about so many combinations and possibilities.

Most first engine ideas or impressions will revolve around an engine from somewhere else, not an Explorer 96-01 model. All of those are or will be hampered by their operating system, carburetor, or front engine dress.

The real OEM Explorer 302 and its complete system of parts is far far superior to any other non Explorer engine system. I/we have pointed these points out to many many people, it just takes a lot of time for people to learn or believe these things.

All of the other combinations cost too much in total because they include parts that are not needed or desirable. The "Boss 302" for example will have the wrong oil pan, pump, cam, timing cover, valve covers, intake, carb, and flywheel for starters. Those are expensive parts.

It's better if you read about what combination choices are available, pick a power level, and then decide how to build the engine. You can build cheap just over stock for $1500 or so, or $7500+ for a high end engine plus supercharging.

Most people select something in the middle, stock block to bare $2500 block, stock piston/rods up to $1000 piston/rods etc. The key is deciding what compression, boost, and driveability you want. That will steer you to a price range.

My example; I'm planning to swap in a stock 74k Explorer 302 with added cam, timing chain, and out of box aftermarket heads. I'm going to choose the heads for use on a stockish 302, to be able to resell them soon. I also need to use heads with the same exhaust bolt pattern as my final heads, to fabricate headers for. I shall not ever pay $600 for 1.5" primary headers for a V8. I remember when $75 was the going rate for good headers, not small headers, good headers.

I just need a capable engine to mock up and first test a custom supercharger. I do not want to push boost to a $3500 engine and blow it up. I don't mind risking a used stock engine. I'll get that engine running right, then build a good engine to swap in.

Use the "search" feature to hunt some of the other engine build threads for OBDII PCM's. Regards,

Jim, hunt around on this site for a while before you start to finalize engine plans. There is a lot to learn about so many combinations and possibilities.

Most first engine ideas or impressions will revolve around an engine from somewhere else, not an Explorer 96-01 model. All of those are or will be hampered by their operating system, carburetor, or front engine dress.

The real OEM Explorer 302 and its complete system of parts is far far superior to any other non Explorer engine system. I/we have pointed these points out to many many people, it just takes a lot of time for people to learn or believe these things.

All of the other combinations cost too much in total because they include parts that are not needed or desirable. The "Boss 302" for example will have the wrong oil pan, pump, cam, timing cover, valve covers, intake, carb, and flywheel for starters. Those are expensive parts.

It's better if you read about what combination choices are available, pick a power level, and then decide how to build the engine. You can build cheap just over stock for $1500 or so, or $7500+ for a high end engine plus supercharging.

Most people select something in the middle, stock block to bare $2500 block, stock piston/rods up to $1000 piston/rods etc. The key is deciding what compression, boost, and driveability you want. That will steer you to a price range.

My example; I'm planning to swap in a stock 74k Explorer 302 with added cam, timing chain, and out of box aftermarket heads. I'm going to choose the heads for use on a stockish 302, to be able to resell them soon. I also need to use heads with the same exhaust bolt pattern as my final heads, to fabricate headers for. I shall not ever pay $600 for 1.5" primary headers for a V8. I remember when $75 was the going rate for good headers, not small headers, good headers.

I just need a capable engine to mock up and first test a custom supercharger. I do not want to push boost to a $3500 engine and blow it up. I don't mind risking a used stock engine. I'll get that engine running right, then build a good engine to swap in.

Use the "search" feature to hunt some of the other engine build threads for OBDII PCM's. Regards,

Yes, after doing some extensive reading on our site and this one, I have found there are alot of possibilities as far as powertrain.

What I want to shoot for is the 400 to 500hp range and maintain driveability comparable to any other daily driven vehicle.

The big question is what is going to fit, what is going to be reliable (and what transmission to use with it) and once all that power is installed, what can be done to the suspension so the vehicle will handle all that power? Also, since this is a 4X4, what sort of things have to be done to be compatible with the existing 4X4 mechanicals? I know for my other vehicle there are extensive options out there as far as tuners, etc... are there any real Ford Explorer tuners out there that know these vehicles in an out?

Keep in mind, that the powertrain will be the last thing I do with this vehicle so I have more than enough time to think about all the multiple options that may exist. My main concentration now will be the interior and exterior restoration and modifications.

Oh a side note, took the truck to the Outer Banks and Virginia this weekend (put over 1000 miles on it) Ran great, got 20mpg+. The only issue I had was I attempted to take the truck out on the point at Hatteras (lots of sand) and apparently the automatic hubs are not functioning properly as when I ran into some significant sand, the automatic hubs would not stay engaged. Any idea what I can do about this?

I have a suggestion......Since you want to keep the Explorer look & swap everything else, you may want to look at pulling the body off & sticking it onto another frame that has a good high HP power train, Something like a full size Bronco, or a V8 ranger, or even a V8 Explorer.
May work out a ton cheaper since for what your looking to do will cost a ton of $$ since everything will need to be replaced or rebuilt.

I have a suggestion......Since you want to keep the Explorer look & swap everything else, you may want to look at pulling the body off & sticking it onto another frame that has a good high HP power train, Something like a full size Bronco, or a V8 ranger, or even a V8 Explorer.
May work out a ton cheaper since for what your looking to do will cost a ton of $$ since everything will need to be replaced or rebuilt.

Thought about this but want to keep this as much of the original vehicle (with the exception of the changes we are planning) as possible. It should be interesting to say the least...

stock door handles

Thought about this but want to keep this as much of the original vehicle (with the exception of the changes we are planning) as possible. It should be interesting to say the least...

gonna start doing the headliner next, maybe with the fabric on the door panels.

Attachments

• expforum4.jpg
    expforum4.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 479
  • expforum5.jpg
    expforum5.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 489

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gonna start doing the headliner next, maybe with the fabric on the door panels.

Nice door panels you have there. Like the black treatment on the one portion. Do you have anymore pics of your inside and exterior?

Thanks - that gave some great ideas.

Back