New ARB Safari Snorkel | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New ARB Safari Snorkel

I'm going to be trying to ditch the box and reclaim the space for a 2nd battery...for amps, fogs and winch.

I don't know if it's doable, but I was thinking of a way to do a 180 out of the intake because of all the extra space under the hood from the 3" body lift...then taking air from- I have no clue! :D But I was thinking with the snorkel I could maybe rig something to go across...I'ma have to take another look and see if I can push through the firewall into the fender and up and out...

I don't know what the impact of too many or too tight of a turn would be on the MAF(?), but...I considering my options at this point...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Re: Good job, looks great!

Originally posted by GJarrett
Matt, this summer I am planning to route PVC exactly as you have inside the fender to make a snorkel, but mine will be a "slealth" snorkle and breathe through the intake in front of the windshield instead of exiting upwards back out of the fender.

this may be a dumb question... but won't rain and car wash water get in that very easily? i always thought that was why snorkels always had that shape where it overhangs on the top.. to keep rain out.
how do you plan to keep the water out of that? i know you have some trick up your sleeve.. or else i'm just a retard and don't know what the heck i'm talking about! maybe both!

I assume that intake has its own drain, otherwise it would fill up with rain and carwash water and dump it into your vehicle through the vents, right? No matter what it looks like I'll figure out some way to do it once I take it apart. I don't have a plan yet because I haven't seen it, but I am confident that I can figure out what to do once I get started. :)

Originally posted by GJarrett
I assume that intake has its own drain, otherwise it would fill up with rain and carwash water and dump it into your vehicle through the vents, right?

good point! like i said.. i'm a retard and don't know what the hell i'm talking about! :confused:
i'd like to see what you end up with when its done. sounds pretty cool.

Looks good! I just sent an inquery to ARB why they don't make snorkles for us and linked to this thread. Hope no one minds.;)

Reply from ARB... He liked your snorkle but you may want to read and see what he said about emissions for those of you concerned:

ARB:
It's true we don't build much for the Explorers, there just haven't been
that many requests.

Love the pictures of your homemade snorkel, it look's great! As far as the
emission legality mentioned in the forum, it shouldn't be an issue as long
as you have the factory air system in place. Emissions shouldn't care what
you add before it.

That's awsome, ARB liked my snorkel! That just made my day.

Originally posted by DasFrem
That's awsome, ARB liked my snorkel! That just made my day.

I figured it would.:p

Originally posted by taxxman2k
ARB: It's true we don't build much for the Explorers, there just haven't been that many requests.

You should email him back and ask him how many names he needs on a list before he will make one.

Snorkel looks great, btw. ;)

I did. They don't make the snorkles they are from Safari Snorkle and I just sent them an email. As for ARB products such as the winch bumper they have to have 100 legitimate requests before they start thinking about it. He said he has had 40 in 5 years for the front winch bumper or whatever ARB calls it. It would be multi platform for ranger and X but he has to have 100 total so I thought I would see what kind of interest between the ranger and explorer owners we could come up with. I would be game for one of their bumpers depending on price and time. I'll let you know what I find out about the snorkle.

arb bumpers look awesome.. but they are so expensive. i couldn't afford one unless i got it at a blemish sale.

oh yeah.. tjm just had one of those. they were advertising the winch bumpers for ranger for like $300.

I wonder if the TJM for the ranger could be modded to fit an X pretty easy. That is my only prob with the ARB too is price.

Originally posted by taxxman2k
I wonder if the TJM for the ranger could be modded to fit an X pretty easy. That is my only prob with the ARB too is price.

yeah i was thinking this and almost bought it. it was for a 96 style ranger and was winch capable. it crossed my mind to mod it to fit

TrailReady has one for the Ranger that they sell for the X. It supposedly bolts right on.

I ordered one w/winch, built in fogs and other accessories...

It's supposed to ship Friday, just came out of powder coating. They'll customize it for Body Lifts and all. But just like the ARB they $,$$$. I think these actually look better than the ARB, they're less boxy looking.

Safari Snorkles Response to my question:

Thanks for your e-mail and interest.

To be perfectly honest, it really comes down to the demand for the
product, given the time available. The Explorer is not as popular here
in Australia as quite a few other 4x4's and has therefore missed out.
However we will be undertaking more snorkel development this year and we
may consider this model in the future.

I hope we will be able to assist you soon.

You Ausie X's need to send these people some emails so they will know there is some homeland interest.;)

hey, well, if we can get a company to agree on making a snorkel, I'm game, as long as it will work on the Ranger:D As for the bumper, I'd like an ARB, but they are way out of my price range, I'd be looking to spend up to about 200, but if it's real nice, maybe go to 3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya. I will probably end up fabbing my own up some day. I just don't want a tube bumper.

Back