New ARB Safari Snorkel | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New ARB Safari Snorkel

Originally posted by Muskrat
....As for the bumper, I'd like an ARB, but they are way out of my price range, I'd be looking to spend up to about 200, but if it's real nice, maybe go to 3

I can build ya one :D. Gonna be building a rear bumper for Sammy soon too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dasferm-

Did the PVC conduit come with that bend in it? It seems less than 90 deg. The part coming up the pillar to the Snorkel top.

Also does anyone know if you can heat up the PVC and work it? If so would a heat gun be sufficient to soften the PVC?

I've got a design for a snorkel, but it requires some flat material, well not completely flat butI figure if I can work the PVC I can flatten it out to work.

I may have to just get a peice and start trying my idea out.

You can bend PVC but you need more than a heat gun, you need a propane torch. JUst be patient and don't put the flame right on it cause it will burn.

The conduit came in 45 degree bends. I spent a lot of time Lowes looking at about every concievable combination and came out with this one.

Originally posted by DasFrem
The conduit came in 45 degree bends. I spent a lot of time Lowes looking at about every concievable combination and came out with this one.

you done good:D

Ill second that!!! So how much did the part from ARB cost you? And how much in PVC???

The ARB part was like 60 bucks I think, and the PVC was just a couple of dollars per section.

Sick! Burnt!! Crazy!!! KEWL!!!! :D

If that's what putting a snorkel on makes you do then I don't want one!! (yes I do!)

Now all you need is a freaking propeller and you can be a U-Boat Captian! :D

How did the electrical stuff fair? Any problems with the ignition wires? Or did you seal them up somehow?

All the ignition wires are loaded up with dialectic (sp probally) grease and everything runs fine. I've got the doors off right now, so that might hinder any deep water crossings in the near future (but they go back on in like 10 min)

Electric Fan or Clutch (original)? Cause you musta been slinging water all over the engine compartment with the original fan...

Oh man those were awesome videos!!!!!!

Makes me envious!!!!

It's a clutch, I guess I could put in a relay to a switch to make sure the fan's off for deep crossings. Oh yeah, when I was driving out to Paragon the night before it was raining like crazy, the type of rain you just can't go above 65 mpg because of visibility. Anyhow, we were driving through the rain for about an hour when I pulled off to get some gas. Just for kicks I checked the airbox to see how much water got down there since the intake was facing forward, it had the equivilant of 2 drops down there. So those drain holes in that ARB intake piece really work.

The clutch fan is the mechanical one attached to the pulley system...you'd have to switch to an electric fan to shut it down.

I know a few guys are running those I just wonder how well they really work. I'd change to electric, but I like the AC and the clutch fan (mechanical) doesn't do too bad in the bumper to bumper traffic. I doubt the electric would cool well enough for that.

AWESOME VIDEO though!! How'd you know where to cross? Did you wait for a guinea pig to go first? :D

I thought you were gonna float away once or twice!

aldive put an electric fan in his X and said it works beautifully...look it up.

Originally posted by cdsl227

...AWESOME VIDEO though!! How'd you know where to cross? Did you wait for a guinea pig to go first? :D

I thought you were gonna float away once or twice!

We have been down that trail many times before, so we know the crossing well. The water was CONSIDERABLY higher and faster this time. Only Lizardtrac and DasFrem were manly (or crazy) enough to attempt the crossing. They are also the only two with snorkels. I thought about taking my Zuk across for about one second, but you would probably still be fishing me out of the water. The Zuk just doesn't weigh enough to deal with that kind of current.

As for Matt floating away, all of us on the bank were taking dibs on what part of his truck we were gonna take home after we fished him out from downstream :D

Eh, I suppose I'll run the mechanical one until it fails. It keeps plenty cool, espcially since I don't think I've ever used the AC in it anyhow (doesn't get hot enough up here to warrent it).

Someday (soon) when my truck grows up to be an SAS- I wanna go boating too! :D

Oh, I meant 4 wheeling. ;)

so Matt how are your bearing, transmission, transfer case, differentials, etc after take a bath like that? Any water induced issues, concerns, and or problems?
Thanks
Gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

das frem i saw on your site your shots of the sport and that your sporting some jdsoffroad stickers. you ever been up to the shop or just ordered from them.

i ask because i live about 10 minutes from the shop and happen to be pretty good friends with that crew.

also i was also wondering when you guys are having another run in paragon and would love to hook up for a run.

or even something around here. long island or up here.

i'm always up for some offroading.

Back