New Blend Door Actuator Doesnt Work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Blend Door Actuator Doesnt Work

Drg racr

Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 2WD
My Blend door actuator went bad on my 2001 Explorer XLT. I bought a Dorman replacement #604-908 . When I plug it in, it does not work. I plug the old one back in, the motor spins but I think the gears are worn out. Any ideas?
Also, most of the books are wrong about my application. It lists Dorman part #604-201 , but it's totally different from the one I pulled out of my truck. Mine is located behind the glove box, not in the console.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Blend door actuator went bad on my 2001 Explorer XLT. I bought a Dorman replacement #604-908 . When I plug it in, it does not work. I plug the old one back in, the motor spins but I think the gears are worn out. Any ideas?
Also, most of the books are wrong about my application. It lists Dorman part #604-201 , but it's totally different from the one I pulled out of my truck. Mine is located behind the glove box, not in the console.

I assume you have the manual TEMP control in your XLT and not automatic EATC controls. Correct?

If you want, I have a manual control actuator out of a 2001 that has some electric problem which prevents it from working, but all the gears and motor are still good. You can have it for the cost of shipping. Taking the unit apart to swap the parts is easy. PM me if you want it.

I replaced my actuator with a Motorcraft unit (all of $35 new) and found that the EATC wouldn't control it until I essentially reset the unit with the self-test. After the self-test, everything is working properly again.

I have a Dorman actuator and blend door for a '98 w/ manual controls. Never used, still in the box if you're interested.

I have a Dorman actuator and blend door for a '98 w/ manual controls. Never used, still in the box if you're interested.

Duane, You know as you sell that stuff you're going to need it... LOL

My truck has the manual controls. I just don't understand why a brand new unit won't work. Any why all the books and websites are wrong. Every website I looked at said I need part #604-201 , but mine doesn't look like that at all. Should I go with the Motorcraft part?

My truck has the manual controls. I just don't understand why a brand new unit won't work. Any why all the books and websites are wrong. Every website I looked at said I need part #604-201 , but mine doesn't look like that at all. Should I go with the Motorcraft part?

Personally, I would go for the Motorcraft part. Dorman numbers 604201 appears to be for the automatic climate control, whereas 604202 appears to be for the manual.

My truck has the manual controls. I just don't understand why a brand new unit won't work. Any why all the books and websites are wrong. Every website I looked at said I need part 604-201, but mine doesn't look like that at all. Should I go with the Motorcraft part?

Did you look at Dorman site? http://www.dormanproducts.com/

Although, for my ETAC, the Dorman replacement didn't work, I got instead the Motorcraft one and that one worked.

Ok. I'll just order the Motorcraft one. Thanks

Back