• Register Today It's free!

Blend Door Actuator troubles

97explorerkid

Reaction score
City, State
Ojai CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer EddieBauer V8
I just bought my fourth actuator today and it didn't work yet again. All though my original actuator is obviously broken, it still receives power. I am at a loss because I am not sure if it's my electrical, or if the actuators I'm getting aren't the right fit. But they all said 1997 Ford Explorer actuator, and they look exactly like the original so that can't be it. Do you think it would be a good idea getting someone to service it for me? Please tell me what you guys think would fix it, I'm so sick of these actuators!! *UPDATE* for anyone having issues with these actuators, please read this. If you have a manually controlled climate control bezel, usually that’s the first thing that pops up. But if you have an EATC, you need to purchase the EATC specific actuator. Something I had an issue with is a bought my actuator and for some reason the rod that goes into the blend door was too wide. So I opened up the actuator thinking I could just replace the connecting rod with my old one but it’s a completely different setup. So what you do is just have a side by side comparison between the two and file the new rod down to fit the old size or at least close to. But anyways, good luck! EATC actuator part number provided by DintDobbs: Dorman 604-217 Regular Manually Controlled with no display: Dorman 604-207

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought my fourth actuator today and it didn't work yet again. All though my original actuator is obviously broken, it still receives power. I am at a loss because I am not sure if it's my electrical, or if the actuators I'm getting aren't the right fit. But they all said 1997 Ford Explorer actuator, and they look exactly like the original so that can't be it. Do you think it would be a good idea getting someone to service it for me? Please tell me what you guys think would fix it, I'm so sick of these actuators!!
Before you installed the actuator, did you have your key on , actuator plug in, and turn the thermostat to see if the actuator arm moves?

Does your heater ac control panel have push buttons and digital display, or, rotating knobs with no display?
It has the EATC otherwise known as the digital display.
Does your heater ac control panel have push buttons and digital display, or, rotating knobs with no display?

What about hooking up a mechanical device (wire/cable/rod) to the actuator? Control it by hand, as needed.

Good luck with this project.

Did you perform the eatc reset? I think it's on the diagnostic procedure.

Also, I do think the eatc uses a different blend door actuator than non eatc.

Post #4.

I recently purchased a remanufactured EATC as my old one failed, but it worked with the original actuator and not the ones I’ve been buying. The plug in is exactly the same as the ones I’ve purchased and they look exactly alike. I will try and see if I could reset my EATC because it might have memorized in the computer the old one or something along the lines with that. I will keep you updated and thank you very much for the help

What about hooking up a mechanical device (wire/cable/rod) to the actuator? Control it by hand, as needed.

What do you mean exactly?

I haven’t looked at one of these for several years, but I recall the “blend door” is simply a gate that swings open and closed per vacuum or electrical commands. I also recall that the blend door was not that far out of reach from the interior of the vehicle. My suggestion is that you customize a wire to pull the door open and closed, or a cable, or a rod, or something. I recall thinking that this was a viable option. I haven’t worked on this in so many years that I can not be more specific about a suggested mechanism.

I also saw several posts on this Forum concluding that the Dorman aftermarket units were not nearly as functional as the Motorcraft units. Have your replacement efforts all involved Dorman units?

You're correct they are two identical (looking) blend door actuators. One for non eatc and one with and they dont interchange (electrically). I recently went through that.

They guy I bought my explorer from also went through that and just gave up, he gave me 3 new blend door actuators that all turned out to be the ones for non eatc, once I got the correct eatc one it worked perfectly.

You're correct they are two identical (looking) blend door actuators. One for non eatc and one with and they dont interchange (electrically). I recently went through that.

They guy I bought my explorer from also went through that and just gave up, he gave me 3 new blend door actuators that all turned out to be the ones for non eatc, once I got the correct eatc one it worked perfectly.
you know where I could get one of them?

@97explorerkid I have a part number, I'll get it for you when I'm on my PC again.

I lost the number, but according to my research the Dorman 604-217 is the part you're after.

This is specifically for the EATC-equipped models, and will set you back somewhere in the scope of $40-60.

Some report these shipping nonfunctional, so make sure you plug it in and test it in different modes before you bolt it down. Mine worked.

As stated above

You need to buy the actuator for eatc
And you must perform the reset procedure
The eatc is self learning once it sees a bad actuator is quits trying to turn it

Usually I buy a dorman cheap actuator
Then I open it and steal the nylon gear, use it to fix the oem actuator

thanks man
I don't if will help you.

Home >> Ford Truck >> 1997 >> Explorer 4WD V8-302 5.0L VIN P EFI >> Repair and Diagnosis >> Relays and Modules >> Relays and Modules - HVAC >> Technical Service Bulletins >> Climate Control - Blower Control Service Tips
Climate Control - Blower Control Service Tips
Article No.
00-21-3

10/16/00

CLIMATE CONTROL - EATC - BLOWER MOTOR CONTROL SERVICE TIPS

FORD:
1990-1993 THUNDERBIRD
1990-2001 CROWN VICTORIA
1995-2001 EXPLORER

LINCOLN:
1990-2001 TOWN CAR
2000-2001 LS

MERCURY:
1990-1993 COUGAR
1990-2001 GRAND MARQUIS
1997-2001 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE
The following service procedure has been developed to aid technicians in diagnosing EATC/DATC system blower motor control concerns.

ACTION
Refer to the following Service Procedure as an aid in helping diagnose blower motor control concerns.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Check blower motor operation in all speeds.

^ If the blower motor does not operate in any speed, refer to Step 2.

^ If the blower motor continuously operates in HIGH, refer to the appropriate pinpoint test in the Service/Workshop Manual.

^ If the blower motor does not operate in HIGH speed, refer to Step 3.

^ If the blower motor does not operate at speeds other than HIGH, refer to Step 4.

NOTE: REFER TO FIGURE 1 FOR CONNECTOR VIEW.

2. Refer to the appropriate pinpoint test in the Service/Workshop Manual, except for checking the EATC/DATC module. When checking the EATC/DATC module, set the blower motor speed to HIGH blower and measure the voltage between the blower motor high blower relay circuit (Pin 3 at the controller) and ground at the EATC/DATC module connector.

a. If the voltage is within 2 volts of battery voltage, measure the resistance between the blower motor speed controller connector Pin 3 and the corresponding circuit/pin at the EATC/DATC module connector. If the resistance is 5 ohms or less, install a new blower motor speed controller (19E624). If the resistance is greater than 5 ohms, repair the circuit. Retest the system for proper operation.

b. If the voltage is more than 2 volts below battery voltage, measure the resistance between the blower motor speed controller connector Pin 3 and ground. If the resistance is 5 ohms or less, repair the circuit. If the resistance is greater than 5 ohms, install a new EATC/DATC module (19980). Retest the system for normal operation.

3. Set the blower speed control to HIGH and measure the voltage between the blower motor control high blower relay circuit (Pin 3 at the controller) and ground at the EATC/DATC module connector.

a. If the voltage is within 2 volts of battery voltage, measure the resistance between the blower motor speed controller connector Pin 3 and the corresponding circuit/pin at the EATC/DATC module connector. If the resistance is 5 ohms or less, install a new blower motor speed controller (19E624). If the resistance is greater than 5 ohms, repair the circuit. Retest the system for proper operation.

b. If the voltage is more than 2 volts below battery voltage, measure the resistance between the blower motor speed controller connector Pin 3 and ground. If the resistance is greater than 5 ohms, install a new EATC/DATC module (19980). If the resistance is 5 ohms or less, repair the circuit. Retest the system for normal operation.

4. Set the blower speed control to any speed other than HIGH and measure the voltage between the blower motor control blower control circuit (Pin 2 at the controller) and ground at the EATC/DATC module.

a. If the voltage is below 1 volt, measure the resistance between the blower motor speed controller connector Pin 1 and ground. If the resistance is greater than 5 ohms, install a new EATC/DATC module (19980). If the resistance is 5 ohms or less, repair the circuit. Retest the system for normal operation.

b. If the voltage is between 1 and 3 volts, measure the resistance of the circuit between the blower motor speed controller connector Pin 2 and the corresponding pin at the EATC/DATC module connector. If the resistance is 5 ohms or less, install a new blower motor speed controller (19E624). If the resistance is greater than 5 ohms, repair the circuit. Retest the system for normal operation.

c. If the voltage is greater than 3 volts, measure the resistance of the circuit between the blower motor speed controller connector Pin 1 and the corresponding pin at the EATC/DATC module connector. If the resistance is 5 ohms or less; install a new blower motor speed controller (19E624). If. the resistance is greater than 5 ohms, repair the circuit. Retest the system for normal operation.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: INFORMATION ONLY

OASIS CODES: 208000, 208300, 208999
pro multis ·

Back